SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sorry to digress from the esoteric cigar talk on all the $30+ sticks but may I talk about humidors?

More specifically about coolidors.
I currently have a Haier wine cooler that I use exclusively for cigars.

I have two problems.
First, it is too small, I need something bigger.
Second, is in the summer when I need it the most I am having a hard time keeping the humidity up.

Now in cold times it is no problem.
I was using Tupperware containers to keep a constant humidity but I have some more cigars and they take up too much room.
The humidity fluctuations in hotter times is due to new air coming in when the cooler runs.
I keep it at a max level of 65 degrees.
Now the temps are great, the humidity is great but once it starts getting hotter out the unit will run more.
I need something that cools but doesn't keep sucking in air.

Any body else coolidor?

Posts: 23029 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
No coolidor here. What part of town are you in? Ever visit serious cigars?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
No coolidor here. What part of town are you in? Ever visit serious cigars?

SW.
I recently heard about them, they are up north and a ways to go but plan on going there sometime.

Posts: 23029 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother has had his coolidor for at least 10 years now. He has not had any issues with it keeping humidity. Obviously, it does not keep things cool, but in a cool or air conditioned space stays as good as his humidor. He (and I) have been using crystal kitty litter for humidification. It is used like Heartfelt beads in that it absorbs and releases humidity as needed. I have a smallish Tupperware container filled with the litter, sprayed with distilled water and holds 65% year round. There are plans online for the coolidors and info for the kitty litter as well.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
My brother has had his coolidor for at least 10 years now. He has not had any issues with it keeping humidity. Obviously, it does not keep things cool, but in a cool or air conditioned space stays as good as his humidor. He (and I) have been using crystal kitty litter for humidification. It is used like Heartfelt beads in that it absorbs and releases humidity as needed. I have a smallish Tupperware container filled with the litter, sprayed with distilled water and holds 65% year round. There are plans online for the coolidors and info for the kitty litter as well.

I too use the kitty litter beads. In all honesty though, I just pour in the distilled water. I crack the beads and have to replace them, but it saves time, and I don't have a thin enough layer to have a mister work well. I also have 2 computer fans going inside (for circulation).

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dump them out and spray them in layers as I put them back in. My humi is too small for fans in it, but the litter works very well under the shelf inside. It takes up about a measuring cup worth of space though. Unlike the gel (glycol) beads, the litter pulls in excess moisture and is a lot cheaper than the Heartfelt beads.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Sorry I'm no help with the coolidor. My new Savoy is working perfect though. Right at 70 with the stock humidifier and a xikar 2 way humidifier.

Tonights smoke.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I dump them out and spray them in layers as I put them back in. My humi is too small for fans in it, but the litter works very well under the shelf inside. It takes up about a measuring cup worth of space though. Unlike the gel (glycol) beads, the litter pulls in excess moisture and is a lot cheaper than the Heartfelt beads.

They are cheaper for sure. I had' thought of pouring them out and rehydrating them as I put them back in.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
You ever try the humidipacks? I love those -

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
My old humidor was all over the place with the stock humidifier. I dropped a couple of the large size Boveda packs in and threw away the humidifier and its stayed at 69% since. Even now with it totally empty its at 69. They work great. Just buy a couple new ones every 3 months.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Jay you can recharge them. Place them in a sealed Tupperware with a container of water. I use a small bowl with paper towels to wick water.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
REALLY!?!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Don't wait till they are completely dried out. Also placing the container someplace warm will speed up the process. Summer time I place it in my attic space and they are recharged in weeks.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
How many days does it take to rehydrate that many packs?

Does it hold the same consistent humidity?

This thread really is the greatest threat on this forum!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23742 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I rotate the ones from the humidor to the Tupperware every two months or so. I haven't bought new ones in probably 18 months or so. They are two way so they will accept a much moisture as you can get to them.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I am puffing on a Perdomo 10th anniversary Sun grown Epicure (6x54) today. This is a fantastic smoke, just the right amount of spice, very subtle leather, some creamy sweet flavors there, and a very small amount of the Criollo twanginess. Perfect burn, lots of smoke and a spicy sweet finish for just 7$.

posted Hide Post
We did not get any where near the amount of snow that was forecasted for our area, but I still had some snow to clean up. Yesterday I had a My Father le Bijiou that was aging for quite some time in the bottom of my humidor. All I can say is, WOW! Nice smooth cigar and the flavors just blended very well together. Nothing in your face. A nice blend of pepper, coffee, leather and cocoa. I think I had 6 months on this sitting at home here.

Then, today I had a Camacho Havana from when Eiroa was in charge there. This one also was a treat to smoke but on the mild side. No pepper in this one though.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Puffing on a Perdomo 20th Maduro, Slow day at work.
Plan on trying a few new smokes this weekend, this http://www.seriouscigars.com/Q..._Cigars_9335_details and possibly the new Grupo de maestros, I made a comment on their FB page about being skeptical and the owner made a comment about "if you dont like it ill give you one you like for sure." So I may take him up on his offer.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Well after the USPS lost my package and an email to atlantic cigars, My sharks finally arrived, After trying a few sizes, the Anejos taste better in a fatter ring size, anything below a 50 was underwhelming (still taste good, just not tasty enough).