SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Fuente is mostly one dimensional, but with age, they get smooth and creamy. I have had a few Perdomo that were OK. I sm looking forward to your review though.

Posts: 3672 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
The cabinet reserve was ok. They only come in a small size 4x42. It had a twang throughout the whole smoke, I cant say it was bad but it wasn't good either. A little spice. Not much else. My first Perdomo letdown. It was bound to happen. Can anyone recommend a smooth creamy smoke in a smaller size? Something to go with a cup of coffee?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not small, but the CLE 11/18 is smooth. I've had an Arganese breakfast blend that went very well with a cup of coffee. I had a Fuente Between the lines that was good too.

Posts: 3672 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
The cle Connecticut is really close to what I'm looking for. They do have a skinny robusto that would be just the right size. The b&m doesn't have any unfortunately, or any that you mentioned doh! The normal employees must all be at home tonight, I've never seen the guy they had working and he wasn't much help.

I know what I'm having with my coffee tomorrow though. One of Jeff's karma cigars.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
The connecticut is just what I am looking for, and now, i have to try the Capa Banda Tripa, or triple maduro. I have several ahead of this to try so i will review some other time.

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Por Larranaga. This one was rolled kind of tight. I had to cut about a half inch off the tip and use my new poker to get it right. The main flavor is definately new to me. I guess you would call it a twang? Kind of earthy, hay, barnyard flavor. I'm at the b&m and somebody noticed the smell right away lol. Though I cant tell that its any different from a non Cuban.

A little past halfway and a strong spice flavor is shining through. Still has that earthy flavor, but no sweet flavors like the Ramon Allones.

Down to the last 3rd or so and there's a distinct cocoa/coffee and something else. Kind of sweet. The mix of flavors is really tasty, it leaves a tingle on the lips. The last part of this smoke is where it really shines, I can see the allure.

I gotta ask those who have more experience with Cubans. Is quality control an issue? Poor construction or a tight roll, is that common?

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
They are hand made products as you know. Some times QC suffers it depends on the label and the year quite frankly. Seasonal issues like years with more hurricanes or even infrastructure issues (some factories in more remote areas do not have consistent power) can lead to certain box codes being less desirable. The last box of Cubans i got had 3 out of 20 plugged cigars.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Monte #2 is the #1 selling cuban cigar. It is a victim of its own success. Since so many are produced they are made in several factories and that affects consistency of the cigar. Your box of 25 can be made by 25 different rollers in 5 different factories.

When you get a good one it will be the best cigar you've ever smoked. Unfortunately finding a good one is luck of the draw.

This is partial quote from Jeff Yarchin on page 42 of this thread. Pretty telling...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12373 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I guess more sampling of Cubans is necessary. About 2/3rds down on a Perdomo grand cru. This smoke is too mild for its own good. Not bad, just very 1 dimensional, very little spice, lots of hay flavor. I wouldn't recommend it.

Up next a CLE CBT, or triple maduro.

posted Hide Post
The weather was so nice yesterday (35, no wind, amazing for Fargo this time of year) so I had an Oliva Serie V Maduro.

Today the weather turned to shit. 30mph winds, think the windchill was like -25 or something, bleh.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Guayacan Sabor de Esteli corona size but at 6 1/2" it's more of a Lonsdale.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
The CLE triple maduro was a great smoke. It had 1 transition about halfway, started off with a little spice, a heavy earthy and cocoa flavor. Full flavor from start to finish, almost overpowering. At the halfway the cocoa flavor developed a sweet after taste and the pepper/spice went full blast. At this point it was my 3rd smoke in about 4 hours and the lounge was packed and smoky. I finished it outside in the cold as I didn't want to put it down.

cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
I'll also recommend the Bugatti B2002 and just about any Xikar lighter/cutter. I've had good success with both. In all honesty, I have a butt load of lighters, and buy them with a compulsion. A mainstay that I've had good success is the Vector Thundra tabletop lighter.

We smoked a 5 Vegas AAA and a CI Legends Oliva yesterday. Both were good, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the CI Legends. It was heavy in the hand, and was a great smoke.

We're nearing completion on the big project, and hit a milestone yesterday. To celebrate, we smoked a Nica Rustica toro. This was the second Nica I've smoked, and both been very similar. I can't put my finger on what I picking up during the pre-light, but there is something very distinct. Excellent construction, with a cool, even, slow burn, that produced a ton of smoke. I really like the rustic look, with the pigtail and closed foot. The first 3rd of the cigar had a woodsy chocolate coffee note. That became more and more earthy as the 2nd 3rd burned through. The last 3rd seemed to be dominated by smoky wood notes.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that review Goat, the nica is now on my list. I have tried every flavor of 5 vegas and none of them appealed to me. They all had a certain flavor much like Gurkhas that just turned me off.

posted Hide Post
The old blend 5 Vegas Miami was the best that I have had. I have not had the new blend, but was told it is no where near the old flavors.

Goat, The Legends Oliva blend is pretty good. Definitely not the best Oliva has to offer, but good. That is the only Legend that I had, so far. For the price, I have been looking at other cigars first.

Jay, Please tell me more about that CLE. Is this a new release, because I have not seen a triple maddie yet. Details please. Shop name, band color and such. You have got my attention with that review and need to crack the whip on CI to get them in.

posted Hide Post
I have become very fond of Romeo y Julieta Reserva Reals. Yesterday I had a RYJ that wasn't a Reserva. It had flavors of bitter, sour trending to old socks. It finished with dead hamster. Back to RRs today-what a difference!

Posts: 694 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Lmao. I do not like anything that Altadis has to offer Romeo and Julieta montecristo H Uppman etc. The CLE IS called the Capa Banda Tripa with a red band sporting Eiroa.
http://www.cigarsinternational...84/eiroa-cbt-maduro/

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I like Montecristo and Upmann but RyJ is nasty. Never had anything by them that was remotely pleasant.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay, I had one of those but did not have the same experience as you. Though it was a great cigar, I felt it was overpriced. I will have to try again with my three strikes rule in effect. Thank you for update.

I also saw that CI has a CLE that has no band on it, I think it is a Signature series, that I need to ask about up there.