SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Gator, I recognized it as soon as I saw the pic. Enjoy, I'm lighting tomorrow!

Isn't not a Drew Estates Wink

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diesel Delirium?

Posts: 3672 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
So much good in this thread that I wish we had a like button! Ronin, I hope your funk finally clears and you can come back to the living, breathing, smoking world!

Gator, that is a beautiful pigtailed cap!

Mkueffer, I had several Ave Marias and I've enjoyed all of them. I smoked one that had horrendous construction (wrapper completed unraveled and burned like a canoe) but it was still a pleasant smoke.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Just finished enjoying one of my Holiday smokes.

1.5 hours of smoking pleasure

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2989 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice "X" there Cherokee!

Gator, What was that pigtail from?!

Goat, It would be easier with a "Like" button, but then how would some of us get our post counts up?

Posts: 3672 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Rodrigo cigars "corona project"

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are they? I have not heard of them?

posted Hide Post
Just found a review on Halfwheel. Sounds like a bit of work needed to smoke them, though I wonder what his humidor is sitting at. As of now, mine is at 62% and have not had any issues...knock on wood.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
This was a great maduro they need some age to dry the oils on the wrapper. It had a cocoa espresso flavor profile that lacked the sweetness most maduro wrappers have.

I smoke fast so i didn't have burn issues but a slow smoker might. You can see a pretty even burn line below. I have never seen a wrapper burn like that. Its like the oils are cooking off.

I have many cigars that have years off age, these will be fantastic in time.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Great review, my b&m doesnt carry rodrigo but can get me a box if i order it. I might try to convince them to carry for singles.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
La fortaleza by rodrigo is a great medium plus to full Dominican cigar. I couldn't belive it is not Nicaraguan. It also uses a Habano wrapper which I love and is more ready to smoke than the maduro above.

I have only bought boxes of Cubans, I generally will buy 5 packs or box splits. I like buying more than one cigar but I crave variety in cigars that's what drives me to boutique brands like Caldwell, Stulac, Rodrigo, Noel Rojas.....

Chi Chi, get the yayo

cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
Working on the project yesterday... It was an Oliva day!

Started with a Saison toro. I liked it, but it seemed to lack a real change in flavor. I've read a couple of reviews that said it seemed fresh, and I would agree. I think with some resting, it would develop a bit more... That being said, the construction was spot on, and it was a pleasant smoke. The entire cigar seemed to hold onto the initial wheaty, barnish (hay mow not manure) type floral notes.

I then smoked a Serie G maduro belicoso. I really like the Serie G (we used to smoke them a lot when they were on my dads go to list). It's been a while since I've had one, and the box pressed corners were very impressive and squared off. I remembered why we liked them as much as we did.. Developed well, and had a very distinct flavor profile that started with coffee notes and slowly developed a chocolatey and nutty note.

Next, I smoked a Serie O... I realize that the price point of the O is higher than the G, but the O has never worked for me. I decided to try it again as I've only smoked a Serie V in the last year or two. I don't know if I can put my finger on what doesn't work for me, but the cigar just seems "lame" and uninspired. It seems like it has a chemical flavor at first, and then develops into a bland toastish flavor.

We finished the day (15 hours) with a Ramon Bueso Genesis robusto. My dad must've bought a couple boxes of these, because we've been smoking them quite a bit. This was the first that I've had that was tightish... I didn't need to open it up, but it wasn't a great draw either. The flavors and cigar development was similar to the other Genesis' that I've smoked. It really is a good cigar with a ton of flavor and depth.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
This was a great maduro they need some age to dry the oils on the wrapper. It had a cocoa espresso flavor profile that lacked the sweetness most maduro wrappers have.

I smoke fast so i didn't have burn issues but a slow smoker might. You can see a pretty even burn line below. I have never seen a wrapper burn like that. Its like the oils are cooking off.

I have many cigars that have years off age, these will be fantastic in time.

that is really oily...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10523 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
btw, anybody have a humidor recommendation? I want a small one, as I don't buy in bulk, typically, and my FIL has a big one just down the street. I'm thinking something for a dozen sticks or so. Doesn't need a built in hygrometer.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10523 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much age was on that Rodrigo?

Nice reviews on all the cigars, goatboyz. It is nice to have a side by side comparison. Once again, sometimes the cheaper sticks are the ones you like.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Yellow
Medium Savoy by Ashton on Amazon around $99.

Petr
Less than week Rodrigo States they were aged for a year prior to release. But sitting in a Dominican warehouse is not going to dry the oils out any. It was really good and just needs some age I suspect it's going to get a bad rap due to the halfwheel.com review.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
btw, anybody have a humidor recommendation? I want a small one, as I don't buy in bulk, typically, and my FIL has a big one just down the street. I'm thinking something for a dozen sticks or so. Doesn't need a built in hygrometer.

Yellow Jacket, get one of these. http://armoredhumidor.com/

I have a few of em' and use them all the time. Throw a humidipack under the foam and forget about them. Really nice if you travel as it has a pressure release valve on it. They can be pricy sometimes, but I think they are completely worth it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12372 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.cigarsinternational...a-combo/?promoid=677

Here is one option for you. I would stay away from the glass top humidors, as sometimes they do not seal that well around the glass. I had to put silicon around mine to make it better.

On the flip side of this. Humidors are like garages or sheds...they will be outgrown. I started out with a small 30 count humidor and am now on a 300 count humidor. http://www.cigarsinternational...9/el-diablo-humidor/ This has been a wonderful humidor as it seals well, holds humidity with very little maintenance, and has a place to store my cutters and lighters. It is not very expensive either.

posted Hide Post
The review kind of reminded me of a lot of Viaje experiences with my brother and others. I have had good luck with Viaje sticks though. I will have to keep my eye out for them as maybe the Halfwheel review may help us with pricing and availability, keeping this a hidden gem.

posted Hide Post
This afternoon I had a La Gloria Cubana Serie N Generoso. These are still quite fresh, so the first half was very strong without much flavors. As it passed the half way point, the flavors began to release and that sweet cocoa/coffee began to show through. That was about 2 hours ago and I still have a great taste from it lingering.