SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nice score! Though, I have had a few Ashtons that were way overpriced, but good none the less. Let us know how it is

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I had a La Flor Domenicana Double Ligera last week-- incredibly good. Bought a bunch-- (10)-- more.

I'm only an occasional cigar smoker, and, I guess, a novice. What is "ploom?"

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11126 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I had a La Flor Domenicana Double Ligera last week-- incredibly good. Bought a bunch-- (10)-- more.

I'm only an occasional cigar smoker, and, I guess, a novice. What is "ploom?"

First off, I should have spelled it correctly "Plume".

Most of the time what folks call plume, is actually mold (aka bloom) Likely someone else will come by and give a better overview of the science, but this is my understanding of it.

It's a rare find, mostly found on a cigar that has been stored a length of time, (years) under optimal temp and humidity. Visually it is the sign of what will potentially be a delicious smoke.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crystallization of the oils in the tobacco. The oils migrate to the outside wrapper and evaporate leaving crystals behind. It is a sign of age.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plume and mold can look similar. Mold though, is "hairy" and stains the tobacco where it was when wiped away. The cigar may also inhibit a musty smell. Most times it is green or blue but can be white. Plume on the other hand will not have an odor and wipe away clean

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Forgot about the Gurkha Beauty I had yesterday. It was good for the $3.50 I paid but I would've felt robbed at full price.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Plume and mold can look similar. Mold though, is "hairy" and stains the tobacco where it was when wiped away. The cigar may also inhibit a musty smell. Most times it is green or blue but can be white. Plume on the other hand will not have an odor and wipe away clean

Interesting. I'd never heard the term "plume" before. Full Virginia Flake (Samuel Gawith) is an excellent pipe tobacco when new, but after it's been cellared a few years it's almost magical. It then develops a white powdery stuff on the slices and a smooth buttery flavor. I'm thinking that white powder is the pipe tobacco equivalent of plume.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9141 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gurkha is supposedly revamping their entire production. Basically, scrapping every cigar they make and starting over. Someone I know had a pre-release and said it was fantastic. Time will tell, I guess.

Pipe Smoker, I would imagine that pipe tobacco would plume too, though I don't know for certain.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gurkha is supposedly revamping their entire production. Basically, scrapping every cigar they make and starting over. Someone I know had a pre-release and said it was fantastic. Time will tell, I guess.<snip>.

I think this may be a good thing. Recently I've not been enjoying Gurkha, and CI and JR are practically giving them away right now.

The last good Gurkha I had was an Assassin. Not a super pricey smoke, but I enjoyed it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the Gurkha Ghost I had earlier this year. The Beauty was only my second one from them.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I had a grandmaster select, a beauty, black beauty, and also a symphony. None of them were all that good, they werent bad, but not worth the money IMO. I think they have way too many damn cigars and need to clean up their menu.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Got a Montecristo White toro lit right now. Mild but very flavorful.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

Love me a Monte White!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I've got a Jason that i've had for a year, I'm going to have tonight.

Ronin how is the Jekyll.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you are in need of a good sampler of cigars CI is running the Mummyload package, 40 good cigars for $99, or under three bucks a stick.

http://www.cigarsinternational...s/weekend-spotlight/

Best jump on it if you like whats in the list
won't last long, got mine in process

The Mummylode 40-Cigar Sampler III
….40 premium cigars
....save $307 instantly

The Mummylode Returns....and it's bigger and better than ever. 40 amazing cigars deep, featuring bad-ass brands like Alec Bradley, Cohiba, Montecristo, CAO, Rocky Patel, Don Pepin, and so much more. This spine-tingling collection carries a combined retail value of $407.10....which we're slashing by 75%. Do the math. That's 40 cigars you want. 40 cigars you love. 40 cigars you need, for a paltry $2.49 per cigar price.

The CI Mummylode III includes 40 cigars:
1- 5 Vegas Triple-A (5" x 56)
1- Alec Bradley Black Market Toro (6" x 50)
1- Alec Bradley Connecticut Robusto (5" x 50)
1- Alec Bradley MAXX Brazil Toro (6" x 54)
1- Alec Bradley Nica Puro Toro (6" x 52)
1- Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto (5" x 50)
1- Alec Bradley Tempus Terra Novo (5" x 50)
1- CAO ’VR’ Moby (6" x 50)
1- CAO Black Ltd. Bengal (6" x 50)
1- CAO Brazilia Gol! (5" x 56)
1- CAO Italia Ciao (5" x 56)
1- CAO Mx2 Robusto (5" x 52)
1- Cohiba Puro Dominicana Toro 6" x 54)
1- Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5" x 49)
1- Diesel Unlimited d.X (belicoso) (5.75" X 56)
1- Est. 1844 Anejado No. 50-xtra (6.0" x 50)
1- Gurkha Beast (6.5" x 56)
1- Gurkha Beauty (6.5" x 56)
1- Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
1- Gurkha Vintage Shaggy Gran Rothschild (6.5" x 55)
1- Gurkha Warlord (6.75" x 60)
1- La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro No. 4 (4.9" x 52)
1- La Herencia Cubana CORE Toro (6.5" x 52)
1- Man O' War Armada (6.5" x 56)
1- Man O’ War Ruination Robusto #1 (5.5" x 54)
1- Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5" x 55)
1- Oliva Saison Robusto (5" x 50)
1- Pepin Garcia Blue Generosos (6" x 50)
1- Pinar del Rio Exclusivo Robusto (5" x 50)
1- Pinar del Rio Habano Sun Grown Robusto (5" x 50)
1- Pinar del Rio Oscuro Robusto (5"x 50)
1- Pinar del Rio Reserva Limitada (5" x 50)
1- Ramon Bueso Genesis Toro (6" x 50)
1- Rocky Patel Vintage '03 Cameroon Robusto (5.5" x 50)
1- Romeo y Julieta Vintage #7.5 (6.25" x 54)
1- Torano 1916 Cameroon Toro (6" x 50)
1- Torano Exodus 50 Years Toro (6" x 50)
1- Torano Exodus Gold 1959 Toro (6" x 50)
1- Torano Reserva Selecta Robusto (5" x 50)
1- Torano Vault Robusto (5" x 52)

This will sellout. Add to cart, save over $300 instantly, and enjoy 40 of the finest handmades on the planet today for a ridonkulous sum.

Posts: 23740 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

Love me a Monte White!

This was my first Monte white. It just kept getting better as it burned. I'm quite impressed.

posted Hide Post
I'll be up at CI tomorrow, so I better get my shopping list written out!! Too cold outside tonight, and most likely the whole weekend, to smoke anything. I am afraid the daily smokes have come to an end...for now. On the bright side, now my humidor can recover and fill back up!

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
HRK

re: MummyLoad - ordered mine last week...expecting delivery today...taking forever...stupid UPS truck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I'm sorry everyone...I lied. I threw on some extra layers and went outside. I am enjoying a Diamond Crown Maximus robusto #5. Not a bad cigar for the $4 I spent on it. Had I paid the full $11.25, I'd be one upset man!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry everyone...I lied. I threw on some extra layers and went outside. I am enjoying a Diamond Crown Maximus robusto #5. Not a bad cigar for the $4 I spent on it. Had I paid the full $11.25, I'd be one upset man!

Love it. I was just planning on grabbing my old Carhartt and heading for the relative shelter of the front porch. My dilemma: Ashton corona or half corona so I can get warm quicker. Next week may be a little warmer...I'll save the corona for then.

Posts: 693 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post