SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Welcome Ken

Everyones tastes are different and trying cigars is part of the enjoyment, finding out what you like. With that said most of my suggestions will be on the upper end of the scale.

Tatuaje (start with the simple brown label)
My Father
Crowned Heads
La Palina

In the med price category
AJ Fernandez New World

Good luck, have fun and stop back in the thread and let us know what you found.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gator. I'll go pick up your suggestions and keep track of what I like. There's always been a lot to choose from, and the market has gotten even more saturated lately.

Thanks for the tips

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If spicy/peppery sticks with a kick then try Man o War Ruination

Posts: 13779 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a couple of the Tatuaje, a couple La Gloria Cubana Series R, and a couple of AF Hemmingway Short Stories. I'm going to work my way through these and keep notes on what I like.

Please keep the suggestions coming! I am keeping a list of them and am going to pick up several each time I go to the store. Kind of my own curated sampler.

Thanks!

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I'm still fairly new to the nice cigar thing myself but you should like those La Gloria Cubana Serie R. Good sticks.

I'm on the patio of my hotel room in San Juan overlooking the ocean drinking a local beer and enjoying an Alec Bradley Prensado. Life is good.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1781 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with La Gloria Cubana is so many seem to be rolled really tight. Love the Serie N though. Another suggestion for you is the double ligero La Flor Dominicana. They pack a punch!

Posts: 13779 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Also there is an app called Cigar Scanner that I use. You can scan the band, rate the cigar and write your own notes about each one. I have found it to be very helpful for keeping track if what I smoke. I use an iPhone, but they probably have an Android version as well.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1781 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My favorite cigar bar is in San Juan. Cigar House on Fortaleza st. Awesome selection and prices.

Hit the parrot club for dinner it is also on Fortaleza st and a few blocks from cigar house

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
GA Gator thanks. This is a short layover (25 hours) but I've got a couple of 60-hour layovers later in July. I will definitely hit the Cigar House on Fortaleza.

Plato

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I am glad we made it to page 197, everytime I saw that fucking picture Ronin posted I got pissed off.

Edit to add just kidding buddy Wink

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
The fuzzy cigar pic

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. What a freeking waste. Decided to light up a 2016 TAA tonight...review to follow.

ETA -

Review. Started with a tighter draw that I prefer, but about 15 minutes in that softened up a bit as the stick heated up some.

Initially it gave off a bit of an espresso bean smell/taste but as I continued the smoke I'd call it more of a sweeter (not chocolate, maybe more brown sugar like?) taste. Very much enjoyed it.

The burn was very solid, no touch ups necessary, and even with the tighter draw, I never had to re-light it. I recently smoked one of my remaining 2015's and found it delicious, so I am inclined to let the majority of these sticks sit for a year or so and then try again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to try the RP HR500 for a while now and finally tracked down a single. Great cigar, but once it got to the last 1/3 it would not burn well at all.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post

A couple new additions. Letting these guys rest a while.

About to light up a La Gloria Cubana Serier R on my day off. Still have yet to try a Tatuaje several of you rave about hah. I have to make that a priority. Smile

----
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very pleased that my B&M is part of the tour!!!

Drew Estate Tour Offers Rare Velvet Rat Cigar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12370 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Dam serious is not on that list, I wonder what the qualifying purchase is, last time I attended one of their events It was 2 box purchase minimum.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Dam serious is not on that list, I wonder what the qualifying purchase is, last time I attended one of their events It was 2 box purchase minimum.

Only noticed two TX shops. Both in Dallas area. I like Serious. Bought one of their branded travel herfs last time I was down there.

----
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I am about 10 minutes away from their champions (north) location. Its a nice lounge, huge humidor. Next time your there send an email.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project this evening. Not a bad stick so far. It was given to me from a buddy while golfing yesterday. I had an Alec Bradley Vandal and a CAO Brazilia. Both great cigars, the score of the game...not so much. First time out in about a year though, so I wasn't expecting anything awesome.

Posts: 3671 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
I smoked a JD Howard Reserve while mowing the lawn. Now I'm kicked back enjoying the evening while smoking a JdN Red Canonazo (5.5x54). What a great medium bodied cigar on a great WI evening (73* and no humidity)!

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post