SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you fixed for ammunition?
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you fixed for ammunition? Login/Join 
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
The last .22lr I had was a Phoenix, I think. POS semi-auto, left it behind when we moved.

I've never owed a .22lr since then.
You're missing out .

This. Lots of good cheap fun!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The last .22lr I had was a Phoenix, I think. POS semi-auto, left it behind when we moved.
I've never owed a .22lr since then.
You're missing out .

Phoenix pistols are POS. There are many other 22lr firearms that work perfectly well - pistols, revolvers, lever actions, bolt actions, carbines.

quote:
Unfortunately, every time I do an inventory, I have less ammo than I thought I had. It's come to the point where I know I have to get range time but don't want to expend the ammo necessary for it.

News flash -- ammo doesn't mate in the dark, then produce litters of new ammo. You must replace ammo.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

News flash -- ammo doesn't mate in the dark, then produce litters of new ammo. You must replace ammo.

The point I was making was that I'm realizing how light my supply is. I haven't actually been to the range in several months, by necessity relying on my ingrained experience for my skills. My ammo supply has not diminished, I just am getting uncomfortable with how little I have, compared to how much I need. I am hording.

As to replacing the POS .22lr, I've had .22's since I was 12 years old, but I've never liked them. They aren't useful for much besides practice, and they are a mess to clean up. I'd much rather spend the excessive cleaning time on reloading for my defensive calibers, and if components become more available I'll take that direction.

Guns-and-Butter discussions with my GF don't help much, either! Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
22lr....They aren't useful for much besides practice, and they are a mess to clean up. I'd much rather spend the excessive cleaning time on reloading for my defensive calibers

22lr's best use is training. Low cost per round and low recoil. Some of the best competitors in my neck of the woods practice regularly with 22lr guns. For comparable quality of ammo, I find 22lr ammo costs less to shoot that any of my other calibers.

All calibers produce some level of fouling. 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 22lr, 223 Remy, 308 Win -- all can produce bad fouling when cheap/surplus ammo is fired. With reasonably good quality ammo, none of these calibers are all that difficult to clean up after range sessions. I don't find it difficult at all to clean my 22lr firearms.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 500 rounds of Winchester Ranger LE trade-in 230 gr +p 45acp today.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I saw that and was tempted, but I'm carrying 9mm, 40S&W or .357Sig rather than .45ACP these days. Jeff Cooper would be disappointed, I'm sure!

Several years ago WWB .45ACP 230gr HP were cheap at WalMart and I bought a bunch. Now, I just have to find it! Eek

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I need more 45 jhp

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
https://aimsurplus.com/product...74&mc_eid=f7befed691

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of the best competitors in my neck of the woods practice regularly with 22lr guns.

Since it was brought up:
Yes, it’s great practice for a number of reasons as stated, plus I find 22 Long Rifle ammunition more difficult to shoot well in precision rifle drills. Not only does wind affect its flight even at relatively short distances, I believe the difficulty is also due to the time bullets spend in the barrel after ignition. According to my calculations, subsonic 22 Long Rifle bullets spend two to nearly four times as much time in the barrels of my rifles as do typical centerfire bullets. That makes shooting 22 LR ammunition less forgiving of poor shooting techniques.

But if practice doesn’t matter ….

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm moving next year and I'm sure I'll have too much to move but equally sure when it gets to the new place it won't be enough again.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Some of the best competitors in my neck of the woods practice regularly with 22lr guns.

Since it was brought up:
Yes, it’s great practice for a number of reasons as stated, plus I find 22 Long Rifle ammunition more difficult to shoot well in precision rifle drills. Not only does wind affect its flight even at relatively short distances, I believe the difficulty is also due to the time bullets spend in the barrel after ignition. According to my calculations, subsonic 22 Long Rifle bullets spend two to nearly four times as much time in the barrels of my rifles as do typical centerfire bullets. That makes shooting 22 LR ammunition less forgiving of poor shooting techniques.

But if practice doesn’t matter ….
Or you could just go to the range to have fun . You're way overthinking this .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
.22 LR has good availability at the moment and lots of good deals from .05-.10 a round depending on quality. I think there may be some price decreases on popular calibers in the next couple of months but we’re near the bottom nevertheless for an election year.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're way overthinking this .

Ah yes: Yet another profound, “Don’t think about what you say or do.”

Gotcha. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Picked up 500 rounds of M1 ammo today from my parents. I'd given it to my father a while ago. But he has now passed, so my mother told me to come get it.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^
Thx. It's actually been about a year. She is slowly clearing things out.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some serious ammo numbers from a widow. Knew them both he was a good guy. Hell of a way to get ammo

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I still have my large stash of ammunition when I die, I am going to request it all be expended graveside at my funeral.

Family cemetery in the Texas Panhandle. All the land within eye site is owned by extended family.

That will be some send-off.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I am about to join the club of rifle owners. Never really saw the need until my state legislature went off the deep end. A friend gave me 200 rounds, and since I don't shit quarters I'll have to buy a box every payday for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
>10k on 9mm and 5.56
~5k 223
>5k on 45ACP
~5k on 308/7.62
22LR - don't ask
working on my 357/38SPL

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post