SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Nashville School Shooting- you guys can have this one
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Nashville School Shooting- you guys can have this one Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
…but also is not under threat of return fire…

Good point.

That’s not the case at the schools my kids go to. At the one school, there’s an armed security guard, at the other campus police have a man stationed in the school. The buildings are small and either of these guys could get anywhere in their building from anywhere in their building in less than a minute.

I wonder how much of a deterrent that is to a crazy person though.

Posts: 11663 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
From video if you first freeze the video that 92fstech links to at dailymail if you freeze at ~38 seconds you will see the scope is a Vortex. Appears to be a 1-8 strike eagle in FDE.

Great shooting by Engelbert!

Now everyone involved has to deal with loss of a family member, others PTSD, etc. because this chick didnt want to live, selfish bitch!

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to find out what was in her "manifesto".

Also, the parent has to be pretty detached to not have a clue the daughter collected some firearms.

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
From video if you freeze the video that 92fstech links to at dailymail if you freeze at ~38 seconds you will see the scope is a Vortex. Appears to be a 1-8 strike eagle in FDE.
I’m not an expert, but I thought it looked like a Razor 1-10x24 in that Vortex burnt copper color. They’re a little pricier than the Strike Eagle and are a First Focal Plane scope. Most of the time it looked like he was using the red dot mounted on the right hand side at 45 degrees.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Trans Activists Called For ‘Day Of Vengeance’ Before Nashville Shooting

Note GI Jane has 2 trans kids. Gee I wonder where the real problem might be.

Posts: 801 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
From video if you first freeze the video that 92fstech links to at dailymail if you freeze at ~38 seconds you will see the scope is a Vortex. Appears to be a 1-8 strike eagle in FDE.

Great shooting by Engelbert!

Now everyone involved has to deal with loss of a family member, others PTSD, etc. because this chick didnt want to live, selfish bitch!

Yeah, that ain't a Strike Eagle.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This fool's entire life screams LOSER.

Living with mummy and daddy at 28. LOSER

Exactly right. And her parents facilitated her mental illness. Her mother called for strict gun control, but 7 firearms were found in her house.
Who Was Audrey Hale?

Add in clueless parents. Supposedly under treatment for an “emotional disorder”, parents thought she shouldn’t have guns, thought she had only one, but had sold it. Never checked her room for the 7 guns she had in there. Saw her leaving the house that day with a big bag, asked what was in it, but just blew it off when she didn’t answer.

Posts: 3416 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Define Irony: Killer came from a religious family with a mother who has called for stricter gun control

Norma's (mother) own posts decrying school shootings and calling for increased gun control have emerged in the wake of Hale's massacre at the school she once attended.

On February 21, 2018, she posted a petition to make large-capacity gun magazines illegal to her page as a response to the horrors at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012.

And on March 8, 2018, she posted a petition to keep guns out of schools with the caption: 'So important!'

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Those poor children. This is so avoidable. The answer is clear for those with eyes to see. Evil, selfish rectums will always target the defenseless. The answer is to create an active vicious defense.

I noticed in the video how the officer maintained his AR with the safety on and thumb resting on the lever. If that is protocol, imagine the concentration it would take to clear a room and thumb the safety only when need be. All while battling emotion and tracking the perp.
Having had the distinct pleasure of taking a carbine class with jljones & Doc Steve, I can understand where that comes from. The “golden hour” isn’t really a thing with rifle wounds. With appropriate training and practice, taking the safety off becomes part of the firing process. Go to the barricade, assume a position, get set, aim, safety off, fire. Safety back on, move over six to twelve inches and up six to twelve inches to the next spot, get set, aim, safety off, fire. Rinse, repeat. If you’re shooting, the safety is off, if you’re not shooting, the safety is on.

I’m not at the point where it is totally unconscious yet (need to spend more time with the AR), but I can see how one can get there.

It's a common safety tactic for hunters; even when you are bird hunting.

Posts: 12579 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
They count suicide as violence to their community and blame it on those who disapprove of their perversions and recruitment of children. This genocide is of their own making and innocent, principled people are scapegoated and now targeted for retaliation. Only a sick mind could perceive such contortions as real. Forgive me but I’m beginning to see why the Taliban throws the knuckleheads off the roof.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29907 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I noticed in the video how the officer maintained his AR with the safety on and thumb resting on the lever. If that is protocol, imagine the concentration it would take to clear a room and thumb the safety only when need be. All while battling emotion and tracking the perp.
If you’re shooting, the safety is off, if you’re not shooting, the safety is on.

Yes, that's the typical way of using an AR-style patrol rifle.

The selector stays on Safe until you're preparing to shoot, and goes back on Safe as soon as you no longer need to shoot. Flicking the safety off becomes instantaneous and instinctual with a bit of training.

Just like keeping your finger off the trigger until you're actually preparing to shoot, you keep the safety on until you're actually preparing to shoot.

A common adage is "off safety, on trigger / off trigger, on safety".

Posts: 33069 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
So, was the Daily Wire the primary target?

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Comparing and contrasting the video of the shooter and the body cam video of the police, the shooter looks someone meandering the halls wondering where everybody is. The police on the other hand show skill and intent purpose as they navigate the halls.

This really stuck out to me as well. The shooter is wandering aimlessly unsure of where to go. Meanwhile, the administrator who meets the cops outside knows where the kids are and has a surprisingly accurate roll call (“2 kids we don’t know where they are”). Combine that with the adult to child causality ratio, and I think this school did an amazing job responding as well. No response can be perfect, and they protected a lot of kids.

There were a lot of heroes there that day.

Posts: 853 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
This really stuck out to me as well. The shooter is wandering aimlessly unsure of where to go. Meanwhile, the administrator who meets the cops outside knows where the kids are and has a surprisingly accurate roll call (“2 kids we don’t know where they are”). Combine that with the adult to child causality ratio, and I think this school did an amazing job responding as well. No response can be perfect, and they protected a lot of kids.

As details emerge about the shooter she went there as a child, and had a map of the school so she knew here way around. What struck me was that it appears she was baffled by lack of targets. I'm guessing she intended to walk into halls full of targets and found little.

That MIGHT have had something to do with her blasting her way through the front doors, which gave staff ample time to evacuate that immediate area and lock down.

Ahh... best laid plans ruined by incompetence.

Thankfully in this case!!!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Define Irony: Killer came from a religious family with a mother who has called for stricter gun control

Wonder if part of the goal was to hurt her mother for her childhood, the decisions to put her in a Christian School, other things that happened during her early years.... So you go to that school and shoot it up, knowing your moms social media posts will come up, hurt the family.

Suicides tend to be to hurt the living since the one doing it has given up, either by cop or themselves.

Posts: 24302 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Comparing and contrasting the video of the shooter and the body cam video of the police, the shooter looks someone meandering the halls wondering where everybody is. The police on the other hand show skill and intent purpose as they navigate the halls.

I understand it was 14 minutes, from first 911 call to dead shooter. Damned good job, LE.

But 14 minutes is still a lifetime for those trapped in a school situation. This school was somewhat fortunate that the shooter was not rushed and motivated to maximize bodycount. She lingered a bit in that first entry hallway, an armed adult who knew what they were doing could have taken her down quickly.

A good example is the White Settlement church shooting a few years ago near Ft Worth TX:

If one didn't see the footage, the shooter pulled out a shotgun from underneath his coat and started to shoot people in the back of the church, killing two and injuring one until a volunteer security person open carrying a Sig P229 killed the guy with one shot, less than 10 secs after the killer pulled out his shotgun. Here is a youtube link, age restricted. There were also some other parishioners that pulled out their CCWs, most after the guy was down. But imagine if no law abiding gun owners were in that room.

Shortly after, Gov. Abbott signed a bill protecting the right to carry in churches. And to my knowledge, there hasn't been a church shooting since in Texas. Schools really need to examine the use of armed security persons or armed adults on campus. In my mind, it is now the only logical step to get a handle on these events.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17181 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Allow teachers to be armed as well, if they wish to.

Q

Posts: 27566 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
14 minutes is a long time for an active shooter but we should break it up from:

1. Times from first shots fried (shooting out glass in door to make entry), school going into lock down, and first calls to 911. It seems that this is where the victims were shot and killed.

2. When officers arrive on scene, they form teams and immediately make entry. Absent active shooting and killing, they begin a systematic hunt for the shooter.

3. Shooter fires rounds on the second floor, officers immediately respond, engage, and put down shooter. In the body camera videos, it was around 40 seconds from when the officers heard the shoots being fired on the second floor to the shooter being put down.

Posts: 4057 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
BTW - Thank You Para.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

…Meanwhile, the administrator who meets the cops outside knows where the kids are and has a surprisingly accurate roll call (“2 kids we don’t know where they are”…

She was calm, cool, and collected. The head count is part of the fire and lockdown drills. When I sub, I really try to keep track of who is where at all times. For a lockdown, I text how many students I have, how many are absent, and any anomalies like so and so is in the bathroom or I have such and such with me. Fire drills are a little different because we are all lined up outside and the admins walk up to each teacher and ask. They radio the numbers to the person keeping tally to give to the firefighters.

Posts: 11663 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post