SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stores from your childhood that no longer exist
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores from your childhood that no longer exist Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Teppes
Cresgies
Farmer Jack
_____ Five & Dime

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I remember going to Handy Dan hardware store all the time with my Dad.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1915 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Rose's
Zayre's
TG&Y (5 and dime)
Grants
Blue Boar Cafeteria
Thornberry Toys
Schwinn Stores

There's a Roses in Blue Ridge on 515. There's at least one more around, but I forget where.

Oh.. huh. http://www.rosesdiscountstores.com

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2390 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Jupiter Store--part of SS Kresge Co. They sold irregulars. I got transferred into one on Main St. in Cincinnati in 1974. Two blocks from Vine St. What a neighborhood!! This little country boy learned a lot.
W T Grant Co-- similar to Woolworths.
Dahlkampers
Stambaugh Thompsons
Hills Dept Store
Sveden House buffet

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
FAO Schwarz

What??? I can't play chopsticks on a giant piano anymore? Should have crossed off that bucket list item earlier Frown

They closed the New York City store last year. Up until then, it was the only one remaining.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'm from Houston, and a big part of my childhood was following my mom around in Globe and Sage department stores. Also, World Toy and Gift Shop was my favorite toy store of all, which used to be in Rice Village.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1217 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tidewater VA area

Champ's (hamburger chain tied to Muhammad Ali)

Burger King

The Great American Ice Cream Store (eating the "Gorp" got you a pin, your name on the wall and a 2 day belly ache from eating too much ice cream. They would bring the "Gorp" to your table on a hospital style stretcher)

Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise (recently)

Posts: 425 | Location: Newport News, VA | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Two already mentioned:
Bill Knapps (I'll have a burger and bean soup and cinnimon ice cream)
Sveden House buffet (take all you want, but eat all you take)

But the one I miss the most:
Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour
It looks like they are making a comback
http://farrellsusa.com/

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
E J Korvette. Anybody remember that store

I bought my bedroom furniture from them in 1966 and still have it. Made out of solid wood.

Posts: 11892 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Teppes
Cresgies
Farmer Jack
_____ Five & Dime

Can't forget,
Harmony House
Revco Drugs
W.T Grants
Farrell's (Ice Cream shop)
Sherman Drugs
Damman's Hardware

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Today while at an antique mall I came across this gem.

I had that Corvette phone. It was a cool phone, but it had to be flat on the table in order to fully engage the switch hook for it to be on-hook. If a tire was on some envelopes or paper tablets, it would jack up the phone enough to be off-hook. One time, I waited for my girlfriend to call me for an hour before I realized the phone was resting on some coins on the desk, causing the phone to be off-hook. I guess I didn't hear that warning off-hook alarm from its teeny earpiece.

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We always went to Dolgins. Soon to be KMart where I always got a slurpee. I believe their version was an icee.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You made me remember Waccamaw Pottery in Myrtle Beach. They never sold firearms, but had pretty much anything else you could think of.

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Big Bear Supermarkets (where I had my first job packing groceries)
S S Kresge's ("dime stores")
Woolworth's ("dime stores")
Montgomery Wards (biggest competitor to Sears & Roebuck's)
J L Hudson's (had the biggest US Flag in all Detroit--it covered 10 stories of their store for the Thanksgiving Day parade; also--I think--built the first real Mall, Northland)
Crowley-Milner department stores

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my father had one of those.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
<snip>
_____ Five & Dime

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rose Records in Chicago; got bought out by Tower Records and then that went out of business as well...

Posts: 344 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Burger Chef.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
OH yeah, Burger Chef and Jeff

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Places from years back that are gone: Luckeys Gro. Store, Piggly Wiggly Gro. Stores, Pay and Pac, Prairy Mart, Payless Druges, F&N Dept. Stores, White Front Dept. Stores, W.T.Grant Dept.Stores, Albertson Gro. Stores, Rexall Drug Stores, Wigwom Dept. Stores, and so many more that were here, but folded up. Things and places change over time, but not always for the better. Gary.

Posts: 493 | Location: wa | Registered: October 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
One store in particular I remember was Mrs Rings market on the corner of Court and Ann Arbor streets. It was an old wood building with apartments on the second floor. You had to go up three stairs to get through the screen door. It had a spring which creaked then snapped the screen shut. In the summer the wood and glass door was always wedged open for cooling, and shut tight in winter.
Once inside, the counter was directly in front of you. It had a scale on the right side of the counter, and on the left, our favorite. Several rows of candies lined up in teirs by price. Wax bottles about 2 inches tall with a sweet liquid inside; wax lips and mustaches also on the bottom. Up a row were those NECCo wafers that didn't taste like much along with other items like Lifesavers, Koolaide, and the like. At the the top were the true top shelf candies; Paydays, Baby Ruths, Tootsie Rolls, and the like. If we were flush we would spent 5 or 10 cents on the top row. Otherwise, wax candies or little dots you peeled off of paper backing were the treat. Sometimes Bazooka gum, or Squirrels. Once in a great while one of us has the money to buy a tube of BBs for our rifles.
Along the back and side walls were coolers for dairy and meats. Several rows of shelves with bread and other boring items ran down the worn wood plank floor to the back.
Mrs Ring looked quite old in her old blue coat, white hair and silver glasses. Especially to a group of 8-10 year old kids. She passed away about 1962 and the old store closed down. She had payed for her children's education by working in her store for years after her husband was killed in the war (WWII). None of her children wanted the store.
Whenever I drive by that corner, I can still see that store as it was in the 50th and 60s. The whole block was torn down in the late 60s. Along with my childhood home.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post