SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stores from your childhood that no longer exist
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores from your childhood that no longer exist Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Today while at an antique mall I came across this gem.

Check out that tag. Service Merchendise was a catalog department store that sold electronics, home goods, sporting goods, etc... that price tag really brought me back. I used to love that place as a kid.

Some others come to mind:

Woolworths: no explanation needed

Caldor and Bradlees: competing budget department stores that were sort of a precursor to Kohls or target type stores

Britches: preppy LL bean type store

A&S (Abraham & Straus) and Alexanders: Macy's competitors

Nodody Beats the whiz and Crazy Eddie's: New York metro area electronic stores

Showbiz Pizza: competitor to Chuck-E-cheese where the main character (animatronic) hillbilly bear

Comp-USA: heaven for computer nerds back in the day

Roy Rogers: burger and chicken fast food joints with fixin's bar so you basically constructed your own burgers (there might be some one off Roy Roger's still around along with some at rest stops.)

Let's hear yours.....

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Dow Sound City (SoCal stereo shop)

The Warehouse

Tower Records

5&10

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wedding band came from Service Merchandise. Figured it would get beat up (it has), didn't make sense to sink a bunch of money into one.

I nominate Turtles Records and Tapes.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2390 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Johnny's Toys may have been a 1 off toystore in Grennhills Ohio.

You got a key mailed to you on your birthday and it opened up the special birthday room for you to pick a present.

Circuit City

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Woolworths

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5187 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
There was a Johnny's Toys in Milford as well. Castle and all. the kids got a key every birthday.

Around Cincy:

Albers Grocery
Swallens
Sgt. Pants
Gentry
Thriftway
Steinbergs
Gidding Jenny
Toy House at the old Kenwood Plaza
Pogues
McAlpins
Cincinnati Sports
Gold Circle
Zayre
Walden Books
Brendamours
Peaches Records
Shillitos
Sight and Sound
King Kwik

I will come up with more.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crazy Eddies

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
KB Toys. I preferred it over Toys-R-Us personally.

Up here we had a slew of discount stores that are all gone now... Freezes, Zayres, Ames, Rich's...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Zayre's
TG&Y (5 and dime)
S&H Greenstamps store
Dilly's Deli (Don't dilly-dally come to Dilly's Deli!)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montgomery Wards!!
Brown's Dept Store!
Sears and Roebucks???????
Western Auto!

WOW

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Zayre's, KB Toys, Circuit City, Tech HiFi (and all the other stereo equipment stores)

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Monkey Wards and Woolworths come to mind.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coast to Coast Hardware

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
This is a nostalgic topic for me.

I remember collecting glass pop bottles on the road-sides, and taking them to the local corner store for 5 cents each, and buying candy. Usually gum or some kind of stick hard-candy. This was about 45 years ago. It was a small corner store.

And then I subsequently had a paper route a few years later, and would buy candy on collection-days. I had a coin-counter on my hip, to sort the change. Tips were sparse and minimal. Seems like a different century, these days.

Oops..it was.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A bunch other posters listed. One that hasn't been posted was A&P which was a grocery store. I liked it because they sold chocolate licorice which is better than red licorice and orders of magnitude better than black licorice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Western Auto
Otasco

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
TG&Y
Not sure about Fred's

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I can't remember if this was a national chain or local here in Virginia, but growing up we always got catalogs from the Best stores. Watches, jewelry, bikes, and our parents would make a trip to Richmond for our "Santa" gifts.

Best stores
High's Ice cream shops

Browse through this list of defunct stores:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...of_the_United_States

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Zayre's
TG&Y (5 and dime)
S&H Greenstamps store
Dilly's Deli (Don't dilly-dally come to Dilly's Deli!)

I forgot the Jitney Jungle!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Palmer's Video. First thing that came to mind.

Was there before Blockbuster. Been gone for decades now though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post