SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stores from your childhood that no longer exist
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores from your childhood that no longer exist Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[quote]Piggly Wiggly
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Piggly Wiggly still in Mississippi. Cas Walker in Knoxville, Handy Andy in San Antonio.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
J. Riggins Clothes.

The first suit I ever bought with my own money was purchased there.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cas Walker classic commercial how he deals with thieves. Good for a laugh. He was the real Deal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFi-649Uezs

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Fi Buys
Builders Square
Blue Point
Linders ice cream
Rosalyn Bakeries

Posts: 1463 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Also in Houston, Sakowitz, a department store, and Mading's Drugstore are a couple more places of the past.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1216 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
To the OP - I've got great news for you! Roy Rogers is alive and well. Sure, they disappeared for a while, but there have always been a few out in the sticks up here and since they started to really expand again a few years back, there are even more - including one about a mile from my house that's only a couple of years old.

Next time you're up my way, Trigger Burgers are on me. And they're just as good as they always were - fixin's bar and everything!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
OH yeah, Burger Chef and Jeff

Better burgers than Mickey D's or BK.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Montgomery Ward
Best (bought my first shotgun there)
Circuit City
KB Toys

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4576 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Hobbytown. Slot car racing at it's best for endless hours and days of fun. Some of my fondest memories of roast beef sandwiches and cokes everyday!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Venture.
Winchells donuts.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up in Cols, OH.
Rinks
Gold Circle
Showbiz ( I know it was already mentioned but I had a ton of birthday parties there)

County Seat Clothing store in Westland Mall. ((That is where all the cool kids bought clothes.))

Sun TV
Drug Emporium
Central Harware
Burger Chef
Ground Round
Brown Derby
Little Professor book store
Sambo's
Rax Roast Beef
Sisters Chicken

Woolworths: Man if I could go back and buy all the WW2 rifles they used to sell for $50-$88.

In Richmond, VA
Tower Book Store

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I'm from Houston, and a big part of my childhood was following my mom around in Globe and Sage department stores. Also, World Toy and Gift Shop was my favorite toy store of all, which used to be in Rice Village.

Yep. There was a Globe and a Weingartens on 59 near Little York IIRC.
Joske's, another Houston store.

Posts: 3645 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Remember when the drug stores had "that smell"?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JordanR
posted Hide Post
piggly wiggly

U-tote-m (convenience store)

TG&Y toy store - toys, Games and yo-yo's

Sound Warehouse (record store)

“We’re going to win so much. You’re going to get tired of winning. You’re going to say, ‘Please, Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don’t win so much,’” he vowed.

Posts: 564 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch of 'em, most named already.

Peaches Records and Tapes

Gart Brothers Sporting Goods

May D&F and Denver Dry Goods Department Stores

Brandeis in Nebraska

Posts: 13564 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the Elizabeth, NJ area, here area couple that are long gone:

Jahn's Ice Cream - famous for the Kitchen Sink Sundae Union, NJ
Bond's Ice Cream - the "Awful, Awful" milk shake Elizabeth, NJ
Goerke's Dept Store
Levy Bros Dept Store

Most of the original stores along the infamous RT 22 like:
The Adventure Car Hop - late night street racing in the mid '60s.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Hi Fi Buys
Builders Square
Blue Point
Linders ice cream
Rosalyn Bakeries

There is a vacant Builder's Square here in Westminster, I've lived in the area for 12 years and the space hasn't been leased in all that time.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had Peppermint Records here. Buy/sell/trade in used albums for credit toward a new one.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A one off store, not a chain. But THE store that went away, that I miss the most would be Ray's Sport Shop in N. Plainfield, NJ.

One of the absolute BEST gun shops to have ever existed. Had a run of about forty years, then it was simply closed.

They were big time S&W distributors. sold thousands of guns to Police Departments all over the East Coast. They seldom had less than several hundred USED handguns in stock.

I probably bought forty to fifty guns from them from my teens to when they closed about a dozen years back.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JordanR:
piggly wiggly

As someone else mentioned, Piggly Wiggly is still in business. They have over 500 stores.

I remember being dragged around J.B. White's department store by my grandmother when I was young.

There was a restaurant in Columbia, SC called Cogburn's that closed in 1999. They were famous for their steak sandwiches, which were great.

I also recall going to Slug's in Charlotte for the prime rib and to Lineberger's Fish Camp in Gastonia. My family clearly traveled on our stomachs!

Posts: 2691 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post