SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stores from your childhood that no longer exist
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores from your childhood that no longer exist Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
BBF - Burger Boy Food-O-Rama

Posts: 101 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The 5 and Dime. Best and only local place to get plastic army men, glue together models, and comics when I was a kid in small town USA.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the old "corner stores , from the 60's.

Doc's, People's, Grandpa's grocery, John's, and a dozen others.

36 inch wide , hardwood floor isles, three kinds of bread , not 12 , an 8 foot wide candy /cigar , glass counter,
70 pound cash registrars the size of 27" television,
13 inch wide shopping carts, aluminum credit cards that they kept behind the counter.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55174 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Higbees
Halleys
Globe Bell

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Zody's, in SoCal.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kressge's
Gambles
Grants
Albers
Pangles
Mongomery Ward, Worked in the service Dept. from Oct 1964 to May 1975 and that store closed 6 years later.
Western Auto

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Hechinger's. Had't thought of that store in years. Back in the Caldor and Two Guys time frame.

Posts: 2370 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Another chain of 5&10 stores in Texas was Mott's. I remember seeing some in Oklahoma as well but think they may have been just a regional chain. I got most of my green army men, the comparatively tiny green tanks, that gigantic green jeep, and all my model airplanes, tanks and ships from them.

When my mom started letting me go there while she was at Piggly Wiggly next door, I was ecstatic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by JordanR:
piggly wiggly

Snip

I also recall going to Slug's in Charlotte for the prime rib and to Lineberger's Fish Camp in Gastonia. My family clearly traveled on our stomachs!

I was one of the original bartender's (beer tender actually) at Slug's Rib while a student at UNCC (1971/72). The proprietor was J.L. 'Slug' Claigborn. 'Slug' was his nickname from HS football days. He was a good guy!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
No longer, at least around here;

Ben Franklin
Woolworth
WoolCo
Miller and Rhoads
La Vogue
Thalheimers
Hechingers
Jack in the Box
Ponderosa

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I think these are exclusive to the Midwest

Dayton's Department Store
Donaldson's department store

I'll put Sears in here gambling that they won't be around by the time this thread dies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BRL,

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gino's Hamburgs, one of the first burger franchises, founded by Colts football players.

Race-O-Rama, general hobby shop but known for slots during the slot car craze in the mid to late 60s. Probably the last great place in America where a 13 year old kid could walk in and buy chemicals, real chemicals, for his chemistry set. Water proof fuse, rockets and their engines. I mean cool, boy building, stuff!

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I'm from Houston, and a big part of my childhood was following my mom around in Globe and Sage department stores. Also, World Toy and Gift Shop was my favorite toy store of all, which used to be in Rice Village.

Yep. There was a Globe and a Weingartens on 59 near Little York IIRC.
Joske's, another Houston store.

I remember a nice model shop in Gulf Gate Mall I don't remember the name now, and another good one named Warrens Models in Almeda Mall.
Almeda also had a Farrell's ice Cream Parlor, man that was great!

I remember UtoteM's (like a 7-11) and Burger Moutain Soda Fountain on Edgebrook.
Then there were the great BMX bike shops like the Raleigh shop in Pasadena, Pablo's Bikes in South Houston, Webster Bikes (still Open). Redlines, Kuwahara, SERacing, Mongoose, etc.

Deep River Armory, Alamo Gun Shop, the Down Town Woolworth that still had M1 Garands for sale.

If I only had a time machine.

HK Ag

You tell'em U-tote-M
Weiner's was another Houston area clothing store we frequented.

I don't know of those other model/hobby shops, but I think mine, G&G Model Shop, is still there in Rice Village. Gulfgate Mall was never my stomping ground, so I'd just pass it going to Galveston. There are so many places that have come and gone in Houston, and many places I remember but I just can't remember their names.

Also, movie theaters were a big part of my youth. The Village, the Alabama, the Bellaire, etc all died out. I remember ushers in uniforms, and movie screens with curtains. Of course, drive-ins were everywhere back then. The one we used to go to mostly was at Hillcroft and Bellaire, right across from that Globe I mentioned earlier.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1216 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Remember record stores? I never see them anymore. The extinction seems to have been from record stores to music stores with tapes. From tapes to compact discs. From CDs to ITunes. From ITunes to streaming. Record stores as far a I can tell are gone. Weird.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In central California, there was Weinstock's, a department store analogous to Macy's and Dillard's. In fact, when they closed, some were converted to Macy's and Dillard's stores.

White Front, a discount department store chain, also out west, mainly in southern and central California. There was no mistaking a White Front store.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Winn Dixie
They've pulled out of my state, but Winn Dixie is still in business!
They're all over the place here in Central Florida.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old full line sears. You could buy boats, outboard motors, fishing stuff, guns and ammo, tools, you name it they most likely had it or you could order it from their catalog.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Shakey's Pizza

Exactly what came to my mind. Only one I've been in closed when I was a kid. I can remember how good the pizza was to this day.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6129 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Remember record stores? I never see them anymore. The extinction seems to have been from record stores to music stores with tapes. From tapes to compact discs. From CDs to ITunes. From ITunes to streaming. Record stores as far a I can tell are gone. Weird.

Vinyl is making a huge comeback due to hipsters. They sell records at Barnes and Nobles and American Apparel. You might see some sort of resurgence but not like it once was.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss when there was a Border's books in just about every mall.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post