SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stores from your childhood that no longer exist
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores from your childhood that no longer exist Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
A one off store, not a chain. But THE store that went away, that I miss the most would be Ray's Sport Shop in N. Plainfield, NJ.

One of the absolute BEST gun shops to have ever existed. Had a run of about forty years, then it was simply closed.

They were big time S&W distributors. sold thousands of guns to Police Departments all over the East Coast. They seldom had less than several hundred USED handguns in stock.

I probably bought forty to fifty guns from them from my teens to when they closed about a dozen years back.

I spent a ton of money there, too!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In the Chicago area - Weibolt's and Marshall Field's

There is a Rose's near me.

When did dime stores turn into dollar stores?

And, let's not forget:

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple I worked for
Nobody beats The Wiz
Tweeter etc.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yielding's

Only folks from B'ham will recognize this!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of these were in Nj

Two Guys -- Like K Mart
Valley Fair -- Like K Mart
Burger Chief

The only love that money can buy is a dog

Posts: 176 | Location: Space Coast Florida | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Shakey's Pizza

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mammoth Mart
Nichol's Discount City
Firestone Home Centers
Goodyear Home Centers
Winn Dixie
Colonial Food Stores
B.C. Moore's and Son (a regional dept. store in the South)
Fotomat

Among others mentioned already, Western Auto was the most frequent source of Santa Claus' stops locally to resupply the sleigh on Christmas Eve.. Wink

Posts: 3386 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
When Flint Michigan was a decent place to live, we had
Arlens dept stores
Yankee stores
Hamady groceries
Kmart-50 Pk of .22LR for $.49
Peoples furniture store
AM Davison- men's fine clothes
Miller wool- fabrics
Jacobsen's Dept stores
JL Hudson
MAAS-ladies clothes
The Vogue-ladies clothes
Smith-Bridgeman dept store
Bill Knapp
Winschullers
Winklemans
United Shirt
The Fair stores- dept stores
Ram charger car parts
Marshall music stores
Grinnell music stores
Cinema theater chain
Fanny Mae candy

And while I was travelling I liked

Howard Johnson
Stuckey
Baskin Robbins

Just off the top of my head. There were so many more of the local stores that I can't remember. This stuff sure takes me back.

In the 70's Genesee Valley Mall. I used to crawl on the green frog and get a frozen coke in the Sears cafeteria. Big and rare treat

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Lappens (Now advance auto)

Fretter (Similar to Circuit City)

Ames

Bradlees

Strawberries

Lechemere

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tastee-Freez (there are a few still around, but growing up there was one a block from my grandparents in the '60s).

Posts: 3386 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
A one off store, not a chain. But THE store that went away, that I miss the most would be Ray's Sport Shop in N. Plainfield, NJ.

One of the absolute BEST gun shops to have ever existed. Had a run of about forty years, then it was simply closed.

They were big time S&W distributors. sold thousands of guns to Police Departments all over the East Coast. They seldom had less than several hundred USED handguns in stock.

I probably bought forty to fifty guns from them from my teens to when they closed about a dozen years back.

I spent a ton of money there, too!

They did a lot of police supply too right? I think I did shoot there once.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocky47:
All of these were in Nj

Two Guys -- Like K Mart
Valley Fair -- Like K Mart
Burger Chief

I remember the Valley fair in Hackensack. I used to get my GI Joes there

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Winn Dixie

They've pulled out of my state, but Winn Dixie is still in business!

Posts: 2692 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I'm from Houston, and a big part of my childhood was following my mom around in Globe and Sage department stores. Also, World Toy and Gift Shop was my favorite toy store of all, which used to be in Rice Village.

Yep. There was a Globe and a Weingartens on 59 near Little York IIRC.
Joske's, another Houston store.

I remember a nice model shop in Gulf Gate Mall I don't remember the name now, and another good one named Warrens Models in Almeda Mall.
Almeda also had a Farrell's ice Cream Parlor, man that was great!

I remember UtoteM's (like a 7-11) and Burger Moutain Soda Fountain on Edgebrook.
Then there were the great BMX bike shops like the Raleigh shop in Pasadena, Pablo's Bikes in South Houston, Webster Bikes (still Open). Redlines, Kuwahara, SERacing, Mongoose, etc.

Deep River Armory, Alamo Gun Shop, the Down Town Woolworth that still had M1 Garands for sale.

If I only had a time machine.

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Tastee-Freez (there are a few still around, but growing up there was one a block from my grandparents in the '60s).

Best root beer freeze on the planet. Hope the one in Chino Valley, AZ is still open.

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Montgomery Wards comes immediately to mind; that's where my Mom and I used to go for my school clothes shopping each year.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Piggly Wiggly, bitches

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Sambo's restaurants. They even had pages from the books in picture frames on the walls.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&H Green stamps.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My first Tv was bought for me at Korvette's. About the same time they were going out of business. I remember buying some Micornauts half price in a going out of business sale. Big Grin

That reminded me of Lafayette's. I probably still have some electronics from them.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post