SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stores from your childhood that no longer exist
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores from your childhood that no longer exist Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Tastee-Freez (there are a few still around, but growing up there was one a block from my grandparents in the '60s).

Best root beer freeze on the planet. Hope the one in Chino Valley, AZ is still open.

According to their website, there's only one left in AZ in Wickenburg. Their affiliated stores (Burger Stand and Wienerschnitzel) seem popular around Tucson.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Winn Dixie

They've pulled out of my state, but Winn Dixie is still in business!

I think they're mostly in Florida now, used to be big throughout the Southeast.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Ernst
Pay-n-Save
Pay-n-Pack

Pay-n-Pack used to sponsor a good Hydroplane team...

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4005 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Cas Walker supermarkets.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
In east Texas we had Perry Brothers, Duke and Ayers (both 5&dime), White's Auto and K Woolens.

Rose's is still alive in SC. I made the mistake of going in there once.

Posts: 1569 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Jordan Marsh / Filenes (Bought by Macy's)
Indian Head Bank / Fleetbank (Bought by Santander)
Herman's Sporting Goods
Channel Hardware
Service Merchandise
Grossman's

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Thrifty's- a scoop of ice cream for a nickel. The tube testing station was useful also.

Bullocks Dept Store- I used to go there on Sundays to play Pong in their TV department.

Fedco- perhaps the first membership discount store, it had everything. Before Target, K-Mart, Walmart, etc. Our family went there every Saturday morning.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
From my childhood, Woolworth (it used to be a treat to get ice cream from the lunch counter) and J.J. Newberry. A number of other stores I liked have gone under, but these are well into my adulthood, for example, Montgomery Ward in 2000.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
F. W. Woolworth's
Kress
Circuit City ( should hsve been Best Buy)
Freidman's Jewelers
Western Auto
Monkey Ward
Can't think of anymore right now

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
1.GC Murphy
2.Ames
3.Best Co.
4.Dart Drug
5.Zayre
6.Robert Hall
7.Kinney Shoes (Buster Brown)
8.S.S. Kresge
9.A&P
10.The Hub Furniture
11.Peoples Drug (CVS)
12.Western Auto
13.Woolworths
14.Montgomery Wards

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Playboy Club, I was large for my age.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by egregore:
From my childhood, Woolworth (it used to be a treat to get ice cream from the lunch counter)
And (eggs & bacon on that ole flattop grill) with a grilled cheese on the side!!!!!

K&B Drugs, Eckerd Drugs

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Sonoma County, California. Lots of local department stores, shoe stores, long gone with advent of Big Box stores.

Old-timers from San Francisco area (The City for us) will remember:
-- City of Paris
-- Gump's
-- I Magnin
-- Joseph Magnin
-- Copenhagen furniture

And my personal favorite, a high-end "Hi-Fi" audio store in Santa Rosa called The Golden Ear, where I got hooked on high-quality audio equipment that I couldn't afford.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
W. T. Grant
Lechmere... still have lots of stuff from there.
Anderson-Little. Bought lots of suits from them back in the day.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Loblaws
StopnShop

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
larrys clam bar
bees veal cutlet
king cutlet
radio shack (before 2000)
jack in the box none in the northeast was good in the 70s 80s

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Woolworths and Western Auto.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Damn, Larry's is gone?? Crap

quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
larrys clam bar
bees veal cutlet
king cutlet
radio shack (before 2000)
jack in the box none in the northeast was good in the 70s 80s

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1748 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
On a local note when we moved to the boonies of New Hampshire (which is now more or less a suburb of Boston..) there was a little grocery and gas store by the name of Roys which was located on art 101A outside of Nashua forthose familiar with the area.

The most notable thing about the place, other than being able to buy beer there if you were tall enough to see over the counter, was a large sign that was attached to the ridge beam of the roof. In 2 foot tall letters it read:

EAT HERE AND GET GAS!

For years I wondered why the adults would always comment about it....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6468 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This includes almost every "downtown" store that i once knew.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post