SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sorry, been a cop for the last 27 years and not to savy regarding these gun forums as you can tell from my post count. But I am learning and I was just asking a question and yea it probably is BS, but you never know and that's why I refered the question to LDD who seems to be in the loop regarding the MPX.

Posts: 162 | Location: WA State | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Live and learn.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will ask SIG questions, but I'm not going to wast their time or mine by bringing up arfcom sludge.

In answer to the status of the MPX, as latest from SIG: commercial MPX is in production. The MPX is not going away. We'll receive an announcement from them soon--I'll share it here if I'm able to.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been many false starts and over optimistic reports about when the MPX would actually ship. Clearly this has caused massive and, in some cases, unforgivable frustration.

We owe everyone an apology. And, we owe everyone the absolute best execution on what we believe will be the next standard of SMG performance worldwide. That's not an excuse. It is merely a reflection of what LDD reported last year after speaking with Ron Cohen.

LDD's last post was accurate. For those of you that placed orders year(s) ago and are waiting, thank you for your immense patience. I can only hope that your feedback to the forum community will in some way validate the engineering and manufacturing effort that has preceded your not insubstantial purchase.

As for the false starts, mis-communications and egregious delays . . . on behalf of SIG SAUER, we hope you can accept our apology.

-Jeff

Posts: 10 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Jeff, it's good to see you here. Thanks for taking the time to give us an update.

For those of you who don't know, Jeff is the head of Product Management at SIG-Sauer, and any comments coming from him can be taken as gospel.

I appreciate the apology but, in my opinion, it's not necessary. I think the internet has made today's gun buyers more sophisticated in certain respects. I think gun buyers in 2015 anticipate delays of the introduction of new firearms, and I know I speak for most here when I say that we would rather have it right, than quickly.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you LDD and Jeff for the update. That is good news.

Posts: 162 | Location: WA State | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff - I'll happily wait for the MPX when its good and ready.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I had a blast trying out several versions of the MPX and MCX at the Texas Gunfest last November. They are both on my must-have list.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to SBRs. If I buy the pistol version of the MPX, at what point am I turning it into an SBR when modifying it?

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
This is my most anticipated gun purchase in quite a few years. I am extremely excited about the MPX and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Bring on the MPX!

quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to SBRs. If I buy the pistol version of the MPX, at what point am I turning it into an SBR when modifying it?

As far as I am aware, it is when you add a stock.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pistol becomes a rifle when a stock is added. The Sig arm brace does not constitute a stock but should be used as designed. Also having a stock with a pistol in the same location could constitute constructive possession.

Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tpd312:
A pistol becomes a rifle when a stock is added. The Sig arm brace does not constitute a stock but should be used as designed. Also having a stock with a pistol in the same location could constitute constructive possession.

If I wanted to SBR it by attaching a stock, does the frame of the gun need to be stamped or can the (removable) stock be stamped?

Also, if I want to get a suppressor for it that I can also share with a Glock G19 or other 9mm handgun, any suggestions on which particular one to get?

Or would a dedicated suppressor be better for some reason?

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I wanted to SBR it by attaching a stock, does the frame of the gun need to be stamped or can the (removable) stock be stamped?

Technically, any part of the gun that is readily visible can be stamped. People usually engrave the receiver since that is the part that will never change, but if you never remove the stock, you can engrave on the stock, trigger guard, etc.

quote:
Also, if I want to get a suppressor for it that I can also share with a Glock G19 or other 9mm handgun, any suggestions on which particular one to get?

Or would a dedicated suppressor be better for some reason?

There are a lot of good suppressors out there. Just make sure they have the ability to add a neilsen device (recoil booster) for your Glock 19, and to be able to remove it for mounting on you MPX. Browining tilt-barrel action guns like SIGs and Glocks (and pretty much any semi-auto that is not a 1911, Beretta 92 series, or squeeze cocker) require the recoil booster to operate reliably. However, adding the recoil booster on a fixed barrel design (like the MPX) is just adding a slide hammer between the suppressor and your barrel and beating up your threads--so you want to be able to remove it. Most modern multi-platform suppressors have the ability to change this part of the suppressor out.

I bought a 13.5x1LH-to-three lug adapter for my (eventual) MPX + a three lug adapter for my Silencerco Octane 9mm.

posted Hide Post
LDD,

Could you post a pic of the 3 lug adapter? I thought about going that route and then also getting the mp5 style flash hider. Should look good on the MPX.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Three Lug Adapter from Silencerco:

http://www.store.silencerco.co...s/3-lug-octane-mount

13.5x1LH 3-Lug from The Riddle of Steel:

http://www.trosusa.com/

Mark doesn't list this one specifically on his site, but he does make them.

I got the Octane on an employee deal, I'm not particularly convinced it's the best 9mm suppressor--just the one I could get easiest and cheapest at the time.

A direct-thread only would probably cut about 1-1.5" off the OAL of the can + mount since the 3-lug mount isn't short.

I would have preferred a short & fat can with direct thread, but I couldn't find one that I knew would work, so I just went with what would, even though it doesn't make optimal use of the very wide inside diameter of the MPX handguard.

posted Hide Post
Thanks LDD, that's going to be a sweet set up

Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Held an MCX last night and it only makes me want an MPX that much more... gggahhhh

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LDD, your writing skillz are amazing. Thanks so much for for taking the time to share the goods on the MPX with us.

*Next topic*

Like Para says, we all would rather have it come out right than come out fast.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Technically, any part of the gun that is readily visible can be stamped. People usually engrave the receiver since that is the part that will never change, but if you never remove the stock, you can engrave on the stock, trigger guard, etc.

I bought a

So the idea of engraving the stock is it's only an SBR when the stock is attached. After SBRing it, can I unattach the stock and legally not have the weapon be engraved? If so I guess if I wanted to use another stock I would need to engrave it too...

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

I bought a

So the idea of engraving the stock is it's only an SBR when the stock is attached. After SBRing it, can I unattach the stock and legally not have the weapon be engraved? If so I guess if I wanted to use another stock I would need to engrave it too...

Remember I said you can engrave a non-receiver part as long as you never remove that non-receiver part. People never remove the receiver from the receiver so that's the most commonly engraved area.

The serial number of the gun is recorded in the NFA database, so even though it's not in the config of an SBR, the serial number is still registered as an SBR. Taking the stock off doesn't remove it from the registry.