SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7)
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 137
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER MPX (Update: Exclusive Non-NFA version P7) Login/Join 
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, the MPX is currently on the assembly line. Looks like Sig is trying to get them out to the public prior to SHOT

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1589 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by szuppo:
quote:
Originally posted by Sodbuster:
I don't think I've been this excited for a gun in a while. I know others have said that, but it's really true. The Tavor was cool, but it wasn't a must-have for me since I already have an AR-15 and I don't need many guns all shooting 5.56mm. I originally looked into the Tavor to buy and get the 9mm conversion but didn't because of the Colt SMG mags. In Ohio you can own magazines with a >30 round capacity, but the law says if you attach it to a gun it makes it a machine gun and subject to NFA laws. It's stupid as hell but since Colt mags come in 10/20/32 capacities, I'm limited to 20 rounds. That's not SO big a deal, but the Tavor plus conversion would be north of $2,000.

I've looked at a few AR-based 9mm pistols but they have the same mag issue as the Tavor. There's one that takes Glock mags, but then capacity choices are 10/17/33, so I'm still in the same boat. Also, while direct blowback is functional, they tend to have more recoil impulse. Most 9mm ARs are still around $1,000 although they're coming down.

I'm not sure when I'll get an MPX, but even at $1,500 it's still attractive. Piston operation and a 30 round mag! Mainly I've been wanting something like this for my wife who is recoil and muzzle blast sensitive, but that doesn't mean I won't have fun with it, too.

There are ways around the 30 round magazine limitations. If used in an SBR it is totally legal. Additionally, you can get a License for "Dangerous Ordnance" (which magazines fall under in the ORC) and you will be legal. It is a very simple process. Look up the requirements and in the Ohio Revised Code and create your own license and have the Chief Law Enofrcement Officer in your County sign off on it. I have both.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I didn't know one could do that with the >30 round mags in Ohio. However, I see that HB 234 is going to the Governor's desk and should eliminate this foolishness if he signs it. I think I'll still be going for the MPX over the Tavor or AR in 9mm, though.

Posts: 5 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: November 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
any guesstimate on the street price for the factory SBR?

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toee
posted Hide Post
http://xtremegunsandammo.com/r...auer-rifles.html?p=1

This site has them at about

$2500for the MPX

$2800 for the MPX-C

And $2300 for the MPX-P

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toee:
http://xtremegunsandammo.com/r...auer-rifles.html?p=1

This site has them at about

$2500for the MPX

$2800 for the MPX-C

And $2300 for the MPX-P

That can't be right. The MPX w/PSB is listed at $1732 @ Sig's site:
http://www.sigsauer.com/Catalo...tails/mpx-p-psb.aspx

I suspect the factory SBR to be close to that. Heck, the 716 SBR is listed at less than $2100.

Posts: 86 | Location: SW Washington State | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
any guesstimate on the street price for the factory SBR?

~$1300 for pistol

~$1500 for factory SBR, or pistol with brace.

What some dealers will try to charge for it is a completely different matter.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Vaporware Phase Corrosion Inhibitor technology prevents rust. ( apologies to Cortec Corporation)

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hazy about this in semi-auto. I just don't get the "why" that I'd want it???

Why do I want this instead of, say, a PM400 in 5.56? I don't get it.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Oh where, oh where are the MPXs? Anyone from SIG Sauer reading this forum?

I have the pistol version on order, and would love to take delivery!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10543 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still bupkis in the SIG Academy Pro Shop....was just there yesterday.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valleyforge.1777:
I'm hazy about this in semi-auto. I just don't get the "why" that I'd want it???

A few thoughts:
  • Lighter and more compact than an AR
  • In 9mm, Cheaper ammo
  • Quieter than an AR unsuppressed, and probably quieter suppressed.
  • Less recoil
  • Piston means less gas in the face
  • 147gr in 9mm is subsonic
  • In barrels 8" or less, 357 Sig has more muzzle energy than .223

Posts: 854 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
quote:

A few thoughts:
  • Lighter and more compact than an AR
  • In 9mm, Cheaper ammo
  • Quieter than an AR unsuppressed, and probably quieter suppressed.
  • Less recoil
  • Piston means less gas in the face
  • 147gr in 9mm is subsonic
  • In barrels 8" or less, 357 Sig has more muzzle energy than .223

Agree with Shackelford.
Some additional thoughts:
1. The primary purpose of the SIG MPX system is for low profile compact operations in CQB under tight maneuvering conditions {i.e. Automobile, Boat, Small Airplane or an Abode (Hallway, Stairwell, Bathroom, Closet)}.
2. The MPX series has been designed for severe environmental conditions (extreme cold/heat/humidity, sand/mud/gravel and water submergence). Note: Optics should be rated to at least 33 feet water submergence.
3. Many sling arrangement points and AR-style Picatinny accessories.
4. MPX series allows the operator to change barrel length, caliber, and stock configuration in the field to meet mission requirements and has familiar AR fire controls with ambidextrous features.
6. The MPX series will be first introduced with 9mm Luger barrels and based on manufacturing through-put the .40S&W and .357SIG will be released. I don't expect a .45ACP due to the .45ACP is a lower pressure cartridge which would require the operating system to be re-balanced (i.e. new recoil spring, etc.).
7. I intend to purchase the MPX-PSB 8" barrel with sound suppressor.

Posts: 39 | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have been more specific. I am not saying that I can not understand why some of you would want this thing. I am saying that I don't understand why I would want this thing, for me.

I understand the trends in our hobby/industry and as Michael Bane (among others) has noted, 2015 is probably going to be the "Year of the 9 mm AR Pistol." I get that, but I am probably not going to join in the festivities.

A couple of things that i consider/live-by:
1. My calibers are 9 mm and .223/5.56 (and 38/357, and I've got model 94's and IMI Timberwolf rifles in those calibers). I'm not looking to add 357 Sig or any other caliber because of many issues such as caliber standardization across my firearms, stockpiles, reloading considerations, etc.
2. I'm just a regular guy, Joe Citizen. I am not LEO, military, special ninja, defender of high value targets, sand-crawler, mud-swimmer, snow-breather, etc. I live in a house that needs to be protected from criminals, and I worry sometimes about urban life during/after a wide-scale emergency (otherwise known as without-rule-of-law, or SHTF, or a bunch of other names).
3. I find the PM400 to be quite handy and maneuverable. Yes, it's loud and has a lot of blast, but it is light enough and functional.
4. Just not interested, at all, in any NFA stuff. Don't need/want anything bad enough to be willing to put up with the ATF process for SBR, etc. I could do it, if I wanted to (I can afford it, can pass the fingerprint and background checks, can get our Sheriff to sign for me), but I'm just not interested.

OK, so with those thoughts in mind, I've considered buying a 9 mm AR style rifle or AR pistol a few times and always come up on the side of "not something I really want". I just don't see the need for it, for me. Sometimes we want things that would be fun to shoot even if they don't fit a certain need situation, but I've got the 38/357 rifles for that (along with ammo and reloading capability already established).

I looked at Sig's webpages and can say that the 16 inch semi-auto 9 mm MPX does not interest me at all. Can't see a role for that in my life as I live it now or as I will live it if SHTF.

I looked at the MPX pistol with the 8 inch barrel. Does not do much for my interest. With the Sig brace, the Sig website says the thing has an overall length of 35.8 inches. So, I got out a yardstick (36 inches long) and ran around the inside of my house doing all sorts of pretend tactical stuff. I thought it was awkward and not particularly worthwhile. The dogs thought it was great fun. Then I carefully unloaded and cleared my 9 mm Sig P229R with Crimson Trace laser grips (usually carried around the house with a Mecgar 18+1 mag/load) and repeated the exercise of running around the house. Much better, more useful, more worthwhile to me. So, the pistol version of the MPX, for ME, comes down to basically having more ammo in the mag, in a platform less maneuverable and less "handy" than the P229R for MY purposes of use. For SHTF urban action, (geez, I really do hope that we never really have any of that stuff happen) I want the PM400 in 223/5.56.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Now, an SB15 model with a 4.5" K upper would be nice.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I looked at the MPX pistol with the 8 inch barrel. Does not do much for my interest. With the Sig brace, the Sig website says the thing has an overall length of 35.8 inches. So, I got out a yardstick (36 inches long) and ran around the inside of my house doing all sorts of pretend tactical stuff. I thought it was awkward and not particularly worthwhile. The dogs thought it was great fun. Then I carefully unloaded and cleared my 9 mm Sig P229R with Crimson Trace laser grips (usually carried around the house with a Mecgar 18+1 mag/load) and repeated the exercise of running around the house. Much better, more useful, more worthwhile to me. So, the pistol version of the MPX, for ME, comes down to basically having more ammo in the mag, in a platform less maneuverable and less "handy" than the P229R for MY purposes of use. For SHTF urban action, (geez, I really do hope that we never really have any of that stuff happen) I want the PM400 in 223/5.56.

According to the SigEvolution website the overall length for the MPX with the PSB is 26.4". If you fold the PSB then it's down to 18.2". That's not bad for the house. I totally understand what you mean about being an Average Joe and not a SWAT Ninja. I feel the same way, but then I'm not trying to justify a purchase based on some kind of SHTF scenario. I just think the thing looks fun as hell and I'm a sucker for that.

Posts: 5 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: November 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sodbuster:
I just think the thing looks fun as hell and I'm a sucker for that.

Same here. I just want it b/c its fun and will make me smile. Also an excuse to pick up a can.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
So, I ordered a item from Sig on 12/29, and while doing so. Asked about when the MOX would be shipping - second week of January. Roll Eyes

Will just be glad to get one...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TightLines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update and very glad to hear it.

Posts: 102 | Location: United States | Registered: August 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post