SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
There's another reason but I'm not sharing it.

You've got hairy little hobbit feet, don't you? Big Grin

Posts: 33130 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I wear flip flops all the time in the summer.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My Chaco tan is permanent. I've got a pair of Danner boots I wear to work or when hiking. The rest of the time I'm in the Chacos, regardless of whether it's sunny or snowy.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3588 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I live in Keen Newport H2, they're a closed toe sandal. I wear them driving, hiking, shopping and out to dinner. We live in a place where very casual is accepted. In the colder months I wear Merrell Jungle Mocs.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear shorts and some kind of open toed sandals all summer long. Here in Texas that's 3/4 of the year.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3639 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im truly surprised by this poll.

I feel at a complete disadvantage wearing flip flops.

Posts: 5467 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
MikeinNC is absolutely right. I vividly remember an in-service class more than 25 years ago where the instructor talked about this.

One of our officers was off-duty and drove up on a car fire. As he unbuckled the unconscious driver's seat belt to pull him out of the car, he put his foot up on the door frame step (or whatever it's called) for leverage and his foot slipped out of his sandals. When he put his foot back up on the door frame it was hot and burned the sole of his foot all to hell.

The upshot was that if you're off duty and have to help somebody or save yourself, you might have to run to do it.

Posts: 4573 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Sandals yes, flip-flops no!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2108 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If you look, most men's feet are darn right ugly especially if they don't get a professional pedi from time to time. It grosses me out to be sitting at a fairly nice restaurant and see some guy's ugly-ass, sweaty feet swimming around in dirty rubber flip-flops. So no, I don't do sandals or flip-flops off the property unless to the beach or some such which I've not done in quite awhile. I don't care how hot it is, I'm perfectly comfortable in a pair of good fitting deck shoes sans socks.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I wear Keens around the house, but have never considered sandals legitimate footwear...I need some protection for the feet. I agree with the observation that men's feet are pretty hideous and best not displayed in polite company.

Posts: 2057 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I see men wearing sandals or flip flops (we used to call them thongs) at Home Depot all the time. This is a damn hardware store. Carts and building materials and whatever. Grow the fuck up and wear shoes like an adult.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I understand why some of you don't wear flip-flops, sandals, thongs, jesus shoes, whatever you wanna call them, to say you can't to everyday things in them is silly.

To be fair, I'm not talking about $1 foam flops made from a kitchen sponge and cardboard. Having tried many brands, I prefer Reefs that cost around $40, $39 of its value is that it has a beer opener on the bottom.

Also, it seems, some of you need remedial training on how to wear these OSHA approved footwear:
1) In flops, you should curl your toes to help keep them on, your foot shouldn't be doing the electric slide in them and for the love of god don't do the old asian man shuffle in them, even if you are

2)also curling your toes improve your foot muscle development especially if you're doing the whole foot fetish Onlyfans thing during these economically hard times

3)it is highly recommended to curl them hard when getting chased by bears,it is the only way to out run them. Never heard of a dude getting eaten wearing flops, only those who wear leaded Sitka boots.

As a reference here are activities that should only be done in flops:
* Flying-better flotation device than the seat cushion
* Fly fishing-who wants to drown wearing $500 Sims boots?
* Shooting-are you even an operator if you can't do the over the shoulder look for boot wearing thugs?
* Ice fishing-nothing is worse than wet socks; also, there isn't a more alpha move than talking with chicks in flops on ice

Finally, your flops become an instant social media influencer when they are the only thing around the campfire in the middle of the Masai Mara able to open a bottle of Tusker

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I will wear them if running to the store or gas station or someplace quick. If I am planning on doing a lot of walking, I will wear real shoes.

Posts: 4460 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Yes. Socks are for winter.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5727 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes sandals and with socks.

Posts: 64 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes but rarely....if I have to run out quickly to the store or something.

I found pull on chuck taylors and they are what I wear in none boot weather.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there's a high correlation between those who are anti flipflop and those who do things like only have sex with the lights off, or those who aren't comfortable receiving professional massages, those that are maybe hugging-averse, less body confident and the like...? Are you ashamed of your feet? Do you have bunions or corns, maybe snaggly nails like Harpy Eagle claws...? Maybe you have a Tarantino like interest in feet, or like that bar owner in Good Morning Vietnam and are trying to control your urges from seeing the sexy bare feets...?

Strange aversions in their strength, imo. Over sandals and bare feet. It's a foot. Or two.

Just spitballing... Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Light comes on: Not a desirable prospect while wearing flip-flops.

quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
The upshot was that if you're off duty and have to help somebody or save yourself, you might have to run to do it.

And that's the thing... Likely only LE/Mil and the occasional civilian concealed carrier have put much thought into the possibility of having to run/fight/climb/rescue someone while you're out running errands at the store or eating dinner at a restaurant.

Most folks here carry a gun "just in case", even if it's slightly less comfortable. So by the same logic, why not wear proper footwear "just in case", even if it's slightly less comfortable? Wink

Lightweight, breathable shoes aren't really that much warmer or less comfortable than sandals, and are much more utilitarian.

Posts: 33130 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
most of the spring, summer and fall, I wear shorts and flip flops,

even loading and unloading for a gunshow,

I prefer Sanuk, but also have some other brands I rotate thru,

for work, I have to wear closed toe shoes, but can still wear shorts,

I usually have a pair of flip flops in the car

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10604 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
I see men wearing sandals or flip flops (we used to call them thongs) at Home Depot all the time. This is a damn hardware store. Carts and building materials and whatever. Grow the fuck up and wear shoes like an adult.

Really? I’m not an adult? Frown. Lol why does it bother you? I’m in Lowe’s most weekends wearing my flip flops.

For those who rock the flops, these are my favorite! So comfy!

https://www.volcom.com/collect...focus-option=option1

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post