SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've had to throw down in flip flops, a while back. Went barefoot almost immediately. In a dirt driveway with bits of rock and gravel scarttered around. Broke a pinkie toe kicking someone. Got scuffed up feet.

Went well, all things considered. Our feet and skin are pretty tough.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but unlike manly Neanderthals like you, most of us got soft little bitch-feet nowadays.

Posts: 33148 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Nope! I only wear some type of sandal when we go to the beach, which is very rare. If I go into the water I wear aqua socks as I have a fear of going into water barefoot since stepping on glass in a lake at 8 years old and slitting my foot and hand wide open.

Beyond the rare beach visit, I prefer to wear steel toed boots or regular shoes anywhere I go.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8767 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our feet and skin are pretty tough.

That shit will grow back faster than a spleen, too.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12741 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ha. I bet you'd be fine, I was barely two steps better than a pampered couch potato version of me at the time, hadn't exercised to speak of in a while, definitely was not in any peak shape, am no real ninja.

Jokes aside, this tale isn't really about me but our general resilience. Plus I've busted ass so many times on a mountain bike or bmx as a kid or adolescent fights/karate, climbing, and the army, I found out I guess.

I fell off a ladder about 5yrs ago, early to mid 40s for me, in a hardware store. Juuuuuust missed a crucial step descending and went flying right off it, big rubber tub in my hand went flying, landed on my side.

Managed to not hit anything on the way down, maybe 7ft, I had been getting one tub from a stack of tubs on top, managed to grab the stack, pull one out, put the rest back, and then took one good step and fell.

Somehow didn't hurt a bit, no bruises or anything, stood up sort of shocked and embarrassed, walked off.
Maybe I've learned to fall well, by now, I guess. I'm only average+. Skateboarding is a harsh mistress, too.

It helps to have been punched in the mouth or eye or nose at least once or twice in ones life, I think, just like it's good to eat shit playing sports or on a bike too. So you know you're not this fragile porcelain doll.

I'm just a 70s-90s kid and now adult that didn't have helicopter parents and wasn't forced to wear kevlar body condom and helmet just to skateboard in the driveway and neighborhood street. Normal tough.

Most everyone is and just doesn't know it. The army was good at limits-teaching. Like how you can, in fact, go day after day with very little sleep, and if you're fed enough calories and yelled at all day, it works.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Only time I wear them is on the way to / from the dojo (BJJ). That way when I get there it's easy to slip them off and climb on the mat.

So I voted no. Out side that it's usually only at the beach or pool. Walking around on a beach vacation... etc.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, but unlike manly Neanderthals like you, most of us got soft little bitch-feet nowadays.

You guys have so mucb to learn, technogy (even medieval) is your friend.....
https://odditymall.com/chainmail-shoes

Posts: 4238 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the house, it's barefoot, except in the winter when I keep the thermostat down, then socks.

Posts: 28753 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

The closest I get is that I will very occasionally wear a set of closed-toed Keen sandals....

I answered "yes", but it's because I wear these same closed-toed Keene sandals too. I really like them.

Posts: 8924 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From 2004-2007 I did occasionally when stationed in Hawaii (Oahu). Otherwise no. I have the habit of getting debris between my feet and the flip-flop.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1453 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
No, the least I wear are Sperry boat shoes inside the house.

Posts: 10048 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've been known to wear sandals in the hot summer months.

Posts: 13720 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've lived in Florida for 30 years. I wear flip flops 365 days a year. Mowed the lawn today. In flip flops. Went grocery shopping. In flip flops. Went to a restaurant for lunch. In flip flops. Its pretty normal around here. If you live in the tundra, yeah you might find it odd.

I think my feet are much healthier now, aired out, than before when they were in boots for 12 hour shifts.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'd rather cut my feet off.

I also have never worn shorts since the last day of gym class.

Posts: 45578 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Sandals are like everything else in that there are good ones and there are crap ones. and bad experiences do not mean their all like that.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Nope I don’t even own any sandals. I hate things like sand or branches or gravel etc getting in and under my foot when I wear any shoe and sandals are the worst. I’ll wear at the minimum tennis shoes. Mostly 4”or 6” boots and 8”+ high boots if I’m in tall grass or the woods.

Posts: 2913 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Nope. I dont even wear shorts.

This... don't own a pair of either.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2787 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Every day flip-flop wearer here. Shorts when I'm not at work or there's no snow on the ground!

Posts: 4845 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrvmax:

https://www.combatflipflops.com/

Damn it man! You owe me a $100
I'm a sucker for veteran owned companies, ordered me and the boy some Floperators and a t-shirt

Code KCCO for 20% off, FIRST10 for 10% if that one expires

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2945 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I live in closed toe KEEN sandals and shorts as best I can, weather dependent.Too many years in hot, restrictive uniforms/heavy duty belts!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post