SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Essential item to pack - if you take a shower at all. Or if you don't like walking barefoot in bathrooms.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup. I actually get anxious as winter closes in, because then I have to find a winter shoe/boot. My feet have had issues for several years now, and my particular brand of flip flops are the only thing I’m comfortable in. (2 inch thick soft rubber sole).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5510 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In case I need to run or fight (e.g., kicking somebody in the nuts), I want shoes that stay on and protect my toes. There's another reason but I'm not sharing it.

Posts: 28724 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, since by nothing else I generally don my dōgi before heading to the aikido dojo. Not too often going other places like grocery or hardware store, but it does happen.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16981 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
No, you just don’t know what is going to happen, or what you are going to run into while you’re away from home. There are just certain things that can happen that I want to have the protection and abilities that a shoe can provide better than a sandal can. Plus, I just don’t care for that look.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 902 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My feet are stuffed in boots over 10 hours a day for work.
If I am not working I am wearing a pair of Adidas Adilette slides. If there is snow on the ground I’ll wear boots.
I have done this since I was a kid and played lots of soccer. Nothing better than sliding into a set of Adilettes when your feet have been working hard. I estimate I have owned over 70 pairs since my teens.
I currently own 8 pair. Sadly they will likely be my last pairs as Adidad has redesigned them and gone super cheap and they absolutely suck!
I can’t find an actual contact to speak with someone other than a chat bot on their site.
Their FB page does not allow pictures and never get a reply to my comments.

If I am working on the car, or hiking, or something where the feet need to be protected I wear boots or shoes.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25711 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I wear Teva sandals often.

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I wear Keens or Chacos. More than flip flops, less than shoes. The one exception is the range and skeet field, I don't feel comfortable without shoes.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Absolutely. I live in rainbow flip flops. All year round. I wear flip flops doing the most inappropriate things as well...like shoveling snow and hanging drywall. I rarely wear shoes.

Hell, I was arrested at the gym wearing my flops.

+1..I’ve lived in Florida for 40 years, it’s Rainbows 24/7/365. My present footwear consists of one pair of tennis shoes and
three pair of flops!

Posts: 828 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I am apt to be walking in tall grass, weeds, stickers, mud, cowshit, or various other off road type situations.
I learned at an early age; boots, all the time. And preferably long pants.

Posts: 6346 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No. We have cactus, goat heads and grass burrs here. Not to mention catclaw and mesquite. Leather boots for me, most of the time.

Posts: 27191 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nope.

The closest I get is that I will very occasionally wear a set of closed-toed Keen sandals with laces, for quick trips on very hot days. Basically skeletonized running shoes, similar to these:

I wear boots 40 hours a week minimum for work and need a break from them. When not working, I wear these almost exclusively year round, even in winter. They are comfortable, and when cinched up you can run in them with no trouble. I started wearing them because my feet used to get cold all the time (ironic) and tested a theory: exposing your extremities to cold forces your body to suffuse them with blood. It does work. Now even at 55, my feet are always warm.

I do admit to wearing flip flop style sandals from the car to the beach and back. Nowhere else though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15854 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Used to be the only thing I wore in the summer. Teva's or Birks. Had the tan lines to match.

Now, I only wear them around the house because of fire ants and iron shod horses.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12957 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Yes, to Chaco sandals...

Never to flip flops.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2005 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I have everyday crocs, fancy going out to eat crocs, and some closed toe crocs for shootin and such

Lived in Myrtle Beach in my early 20s, didn’t even own long pants, that’s where the flip flop thing started I’m sure

I actually prefer work boots to tennis shoes when the weather is cold, or when actual work is being done obviously.

The stable is crocs/sandals, boots and golf shoes
Tennis shoes for mowing grass, I’ve weed eated in crocs more than once though. Yankee neighbors make weird faces.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2945 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wow. I'm surprised at the number of folks that wear flops or crocs. Just not my thing.

I do have a pair of Nike flops with the single strap over the arch. They're for quick trips to the garage or basement when I can't be bothered to put shoes on.

It's never occurred to me to wear them "in public".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15533 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I wear Crocs around the house & in the yard. When I go anyplace I wear boots. I have boots for all occasions. I don't even own a pair of sneakers or dress shoes.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
NO not anywhere, I despise that type of footwear. Mad

Posts: 23237 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Never ever, I only wear boots.

Posts: 1664 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everywhere except:

-work (but if I'm at my desk, it's likely that my shoes are off)
-range
-while doing yard work
-working out

Posts: 751 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post