SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sooma, you need to post more. Get that post count up, man! You’ve been holding out on us.

Posts: 18433 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
I see men wearing sandals or flip flops (we used to call them thongs) at Home Depot all the time. This is a damn hardware store. Carts and building materials and whatever. Grow the fuck up and wear shoes like an adult.

I had no idea my footwear, or lack thereof, was triggering folks on my Home Depot excursions.

Whenever I'm not at the office, it's barefoot or Birks. Almost year round, and everywhere I can possibly get away with it.

Posts: 967 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
right now I'm sitting at my desk, in my underwear and a pair of flip flops.....

Please, don't post a picture of that. No offense, but any dude in flip flots and questionably clean tighty whities makes me cringe.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Just in and around the house.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Heck No. It's disgusting if you do. Feet gotta be covered outside the house, except on the beach!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14044 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Oh heck NO!

... I carry my flip flops in a small pack, as I walk to Hobson's Bay, Cherry lake (both are Altona, VIC Aus) ... tiger and brown snakes are the reason ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Sooma, you need to post more. Get that post count up, man! You’ve been holding out on us.

I'm gonna try this year, been hanging out at this place for a long time. With traveling and living overseas, I could really only log in when I had connectivity or wasn't blocked.

Now, because this year has been a major reset, it looks like I will be in one place longer that a month.

But back to the topic, I now only wear Reef flip flops (unless there is that rare chance I'm forced into a suit), but here is a funny story on Teva:

Back in the early '90s, Teva was the Gucci brand, every BUD/S student wore them as if they got them issued. Fast forward to 1993, and one of my SEAL dudes and I hiked the Atlas Mountains in Tevas. These were the old style, just all black and flat. About 200miles into this, both of our left ones split on the bottom at the front strap. We took Polaroids of them, riggers taped up, on top of some summit and sent them in with the caption "This was where we were when our Tevas (instead of Toyota)hit 100,000 miles"

Mailed them to Teva and they sent us 2 free pairs and a bunch of merch.

I don't care what anyone says, you can do anything in sandals.

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't care what anyone says, you can do anything in sandals

Except pick up hot looking women dressed to kill.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
right now I'm sitting at my desk, in my underwear and a pair of flip flops.....

Please, don't post a picture of that. No offense, but any dude in flip flots and questionably clean tighty whities makes me cringe.

Hey, no tighty whities!

Boxers baby! Boxers!

Posts: 24394 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Nope. I don't like stuff between my feet and sandals. Seems when I wear open footwear, stuff always gets in there. I also don't like stuff in my front pockets.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29919 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Not me. I've never owned sandals or flip flops in my life.
I like being barefoot at home or at the beach when its warm, otherwise I wear sneakers or shoes.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16650 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have been known to wear Western boots and shorts though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29919 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
I don't care what anyone says, you can do anything in sandals

Except pick up hot looking women dressed to kill.

Every dive qualified military team, swim teams, crew teams, water polo teams, and best of all senior citizen pool lifeguard would disagree.

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I'm from Florida, when I'm not on a job site, not working out, or not on my bike, i'm in flip flops. In fact, I just spent the evening drinking Blanton's at Morton's Steakhouse, in flip flops.

My Hero.

Posts: 1655 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gone back and forth on comfort vs safety. For the past couple years I've leaned towards safety and kept the slippahs for beach and pool only. My usual environment is more urban so open toes and feces or whatever else gets left behind by various derelicts isn't a good option.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
Wear my double layer Rainbows more than anything else. Unless I’m doing something that requires shoes or boots (like mountain biking) the Rainbows are on my feet when I leave the house.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stick to boots I can hike a fair distance in, over moderately rough terrain. Got rocks, thorns, and burrs here.

Posts: 368 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Yes! Tevas in the sand. Flip flops just about everywhere. If the setting calls for slacks in the summer I'll be wearing driving mocs without socks.

Posts: 1655 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This.

Specifically these, or a very similar model from Clarks. The have a heal strap and a closed toe, two of my requirements.

https://www.shoes.com/clarks-b...andal/831112/1819679
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Sandals yes, flip-flops no!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
No, but if I’m at the beach or the pool yes..

But if I’m going to Lowe’s or anywhere else I wear boat shoes(topsiders) or other closed shoe wear. You never know if today is the day you might get involved in an active shooter situation...and trust me, you don’t want to be in flip flops..or reefs...or rainbows...

You have much to learn grasshopper. I'm always ready for battle when I wear my combat flip flops.
https://www.combatflipflops.com/

I wear flip flops 90% of the time, at Lowe's, Home Despot, buying groceries, wherever. I've been wearing steel toe boots for my day job for the last 25 years so when I'm off I want something comfortable and where I live it's only cold a couple months out of the year. I'm sure it's ultra dangerous having nothing protecting my toes (like the thin layer of nylon on your sneakers offer so much impact resistance) but I've never injured my feet while wearing them.

The chances of me encountering an active shooter are so slim I'm not going to wear tacticool boots my entire life preparing for something that will probably never happen. Plus my gun still fires whether I'm in flip flops or not, it really doesn't care.

Posts: 4238 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post