SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever wear open sandals, flip-flops, or the like away from home? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
By “away from home” I’m also not referring to at the beach, someone’s pool party, or where it’s more or less required for quick off/on, but rather do you wear them at work, on the street, while shopping, while traveling or sight-seeing, at an amusement park or picnic, at the range, at a dine-in restaurant, at school, or other places where regular footwear would be completely appropriate?

Question:
Do you?

Choices:
No.
Yes.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47742 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
do you wear them at work, on the street, while shopping, while traveling or sight-seeing, at an amusement park or picnic, at the range, at a dine-in restaurant, at school, or other places where regular footwear would be completely appropriate?

Yes.

Q

Posts: 27686 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crocs here. 99&9/100 % of the time.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
NEVER!!! The main reason is for safety. People stepping on your or things falling on you, you get a little protection with shoes and boots. The other reason is I cover up when I go out and about to protect myself from the sun so Jesus boots won't do me any good.

But in reference to this, I've noticed this trend over the last few years. I can't say I'm okay with it, but it just is what it is.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1222 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I don't like the look or the feel or the idea of just having my footwear fly off.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope.

The closest I get is that I will very occasionally wear a set of closed-toed Keen sandals with laces, for quick trips on very hot days. Basically skeletonized running shoes, similar to these:

But otherwise, I wear shoes when outside of the house (barring being at the beach/pool/etc.)

Partly it's a personal preference thing, because I'm just not a big fan of flip-flops, and find the lack of support to be uncomfortable for extended periods. Partly it's a safety thing, because I don't like being out and about with my toes exposed/uncovered. Partly it's a "you never know what's going to happen" thing, because I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I'm having to chase down a violent felon while wearing flip-flops. Partly it's because I rarely wear shorts outside the house/yard/gym, and flip-flops look even stupider when worn with pants. Big Grin

Posts: 33144 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Nope. I dont even wear shorts.

Posts: 7454 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
When I retire, I never want to wear pants or shoes.

Shorts and flip flops...

I can run in my sandal(no toe thongs) Faster most people run in shoes. Hell, I even played soccers in them before.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beanhead,

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
No, but if I’m at the beach or the pool yes..

But if I’m going to Lowe’s or anywhere else I wear boat shoes(topsiders) or other closed shoe wear. You never know if today is the day you might get involved in an active shooter situation...and trust me, you don’t want to be in flip flops..or reefs...or rainbows...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11484 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear my Crocs walking around my apartment complex.
The neighbors are appalled!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16408 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I live in rainbow flip flops. All year round. I wear flip flops doing the most inappropriate things as well...like shoveling snow and hanging drywall. I rarely wear shoes.

Hell, I was arrested at the gym wearing my flops.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Never. Only in my backyard and in Hawaii.
I have been known to wear shoes and socks to pool parties.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17225 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My toes can't stand to feel confined so I wear flip flops or sandals whenever I can. Good ones with arch support like Telic, Birkenstock, Aetrex, Vionic, etc. Even in winter, I wear toe socks & flip flops

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I haven't worn "normal" shoes since school closed in late March due to Covid. Flip flops, crocs, sandals till I go back to school next week.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I never leave the house wearing footwear that I couldn't walk many miles comfortably in.

Posts: 4837 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn’t expect so many quick responses. Thanks.

Please note that in the list of places where I’m asking whether you wear them is the word “or.” Not that you would wear them at all or even most of those places, but if you would wear them in any.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47742 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Yes, but no toe thong.

Posts: 7498 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
All the time I wear flip flops. (Well, not all the time, but quite often).

With one unbreakable exception...when I fly. I never-- NEVER--wear anything but pants and closed toed shoes when I fly.

I'll add that at work (on the ship) wearing anything but safety toe work boots anywhere outside my stateroom, the gym, or mess is unthinkable. Probably why I love having my feet breathing and happy while at home when they just spent a month in work boots for 14 hours a day in a 120 deg engine room.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30957 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the above, still waiting for my sponsorship from Reef, 10 years later...any day now. I hate shoes, probably the poor orphan kid in me. Big Grin
Wore flip-flops over the weekend for the bow season opener up here in MT.

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
We're winning!

Q

Posts: 27686 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post