SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

Consider that generically immigrants are better off than those left behind.

Where did this statistic come from? Do you have a link or source?

Maybe those in the EB-5 program are better off, but others............. ??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11098 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Let's hope the Rep uses this. (sorry it is a WSJ if you're article)

A GOP Regulatory Game Changer

Legal experts say that Congress can overrule Obama regulations going back to 2009.

By
Kimberley A. Strassel

Todd Gaziano on Wednesday stepped into a meeting of free-market attorneys, think tankers and Republican congressional staff to unveil a big idea. By the time he stepped out, he had reset Washington’s regulatory battle lines.

These days Mr. Gaziano is a senior fellow in constitutional law at the Pacific Legal Foundation. But in 1996 he was counsel to then-Republican Rep. David McIntosh. He was intimately involved in drafting and passing a bill Mr. McIntosh sponsored: the Congressional Review Act. No one knows the law better.

Everyone right now is talking about the CRA, which gives Congress the ability, with simple majorities, to overrule regulations from the executive branch. Republicans are eager to use the law, and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy this week unveiled the first five Obama rules that his chamber intends to nix.

The accepted wisdom in Washington is that the CRA can be used only against new regulations, those finalized in the past 60 legislative days. That gets Republicans back to June, teeing up 180 rules or so for override. Included are biggies like the Interior Department’s “streams” rule, the Labor Department’s overtime-pay rule, and the Environmental Protection Agency’s methane rule.

More By Kimberley Strassel

But what Mr. Gaziano told Republicans on Wednesday was that the CRA grants them far greater powers, including the extraordinary ability to overrule regulations even back to the start of the Obama administration. The CRA also would allow the GOP to dismantle these regulations quickly, and to ensure those rules can’t come back, even under a future Democratic president. No kidding.

Here’s how it works: It turns out that the first line of the CRA requires any federal agency promulgating a rule to submit a “report” on it to the House and Senate. The 60-day clock starts either when the rule is published or when Congress receives the report—whichever comes later.

“There was always intended to be consequences if agencies didn’t deliver these reports,” Mr. Gaziano tells me. “And while some Obama agencies may have been better at sending reports, others, through incompetence or spite, likely didn’t.” Bottom line: There are rules for which there are no reports. And if the Trump administration were now to submit those reports—for rules implemented long ago—Congress would be free to vote the regulations down.

There’s more. It turns out the CRA has a expansive definition of what counts as a “rule”—and it isn’t limited to those published in the Federal Register. The CRA also applies to “guidance” that agencies issue. Think the Obama administration’s controversial guidance on transgender bathrooms in schools or on Title IX and campus sexual assault. It is highly unlikely agencies submitted reports to lawmakers on these actions.

“If they haven’t reported it to Congress, it can now be challenged,” says Paul Larkin, a senior legal research fellow at the Heritage Foundation. Mr. Larkin, also at Wednesday’s meeting, told me challenges could be leveled against any rule or guidance back to 1996, when the CRA was passed.

The best part? Once Congress overrides a rule, agencies cannot reissue it in “substantially the same form” unless specifically authorized by future legislation. The CRA can keep bad regs and guidance off the books even in future Democratic administrations—a far safer approach than if the Mr. Trump simply rescinded them.

Republicans in both chambers—particularly in the Senate—worry that a great use of the CRA could eat up valuable floor time, as Democrats drag out the review process. But Mr. Gaziano points out another hidden gem: The law allows a simple majority to limit debate time. Republicans could easily whip through a regulation an hour.

Imagine this scenario: The Trump administration orders its agencies to make a list of any regulations or guidance issued without a report. Those agencies coordinate with Congress about when to finally submit reports and start the clock. The GOP puts aside one day a month to hold CRA votes. Mr. Obama’s regulatory legacy is systematically dismantled—for good.

This is aggressive, sure, and would take intestinal fortitude. Some Republicans briefed on the plan are already fretting that Democrats will howl. They will. But the law is the law, and failing to use its full power would be utterly irresponsible. Democrats certainly would show no such restraint were the situation reversed. Witness their treatment of Mr. Trump’s cabinet nominees.

The entire point of the CRA was to help legislators rein in administrations that ignored statutes and the will of Congress. Few White House occupants ever showed more contempt for the law and lawmakers than Mr. Obama. Republicans if anything should take pride in using a duly passed statue to dispose of his wayward regulatory regime. It’d be a fitting and just end to Mr. Obama’s abuse of authority—and one of the better investments of time this Congress could ever make.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-...e-changer-1485478085
Excellent article. Thanks for posting this. Talk about a hammer that could be used to bludgeon Barry's legacy into oblivion. Let's hope enough Republicans have the balls to use this law.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Someday soon, Trump's executive orders and their deliberate misinterpretation by the media are going to lead to the first acts of real violence. They will also be spun to make Trump be the arch-villain, as the articles on the "immigrant ban" are.

What will be the reaction of Trump supporters to that? I see rough seas ahead.

Posts: 18365 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Someday soon, Trump's executive orders and their deliberate misinterpretation by the media are going to lead to the first acts of real violence. They will also be spun to make Trump be the arch-villain, as the articles on the "immigrant ban" are.

They don't even care about facts. Just knee-jerk reactions and Trumped up hate!
And there are SO. DAMN. MANY. of them. It's a little scary.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4177 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The media is good at making a few people look like a lot. And many are paid for. Of course Americans are low information facebook peeps so it could get interesting. I hope Trump puts the pedal to the metal, Damn the torpedoes. He has my support. I think he has the support of most working people also

Posts: 1476 | Registered: November 07, 2013Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

so does this mean they pay me $99 if I have to listen to them?

hardly sounds like enough

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53809 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would pay them up to a penny to listen to one of their speeches but after a couple of minutes I would stand up, yell LIAR and demand my money back!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"I have made my decision on who I will nominate for The United States Supreme Court. It will be announced live on Tuesday at 8:00 P.M. (W.H.)" Trump said in a tweet.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tru...esday-135416356.html

I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Trump got to where he is by public relations and media manipulation prowess, the like of which no one has ever seen or imagined.

That is not to say he's got this covered, but they are on their heels for now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So I'm confused. I've read the past few pages and am still not clear on the visa controversy. Please let me know if I got this straight...

Trump signed an executive order freezing any new visa issuance from 7 countries but did not revoke anyone's status as a permanent resident from those countries (similar actions have been taken by the last president). People who held visas that were in transit will still be allowed in after vetting is completed, but will be held at airports until then.

A federal judge in Brooklyn assumed Trump was cancelling existing visas and revoking green green cards and struck that part of the order down, which never existed in the first place?

Liberals assume Trump is Hitler and they protest and riot for no real reason other than hate and hurt feelings?

The media misreported the actual facts, causing weekend headlines.

Kellyanne Conway will present the correct "alternative facts" and straighten everyone out today.

What part of what I said do I have wrong?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5525 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:

I for one, will be miffed.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I love it. Trump just called out Schumer during his press conference saying he was faking his tears.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30928 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
IMO, it was pretty ill-advised for any foreign national from any of the longstanding "countries of concern" to voluntary leave the US and have a return date after Jan 20, knowing full well what Trump said he would do.

People sent abroad on business or due to a funeral or emergency back home, ok, but anyone who left to just visit relatives in Iran or whatever - what idiots.

Posts: 4060 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
IMO, it was pretty ill-advised for any foreign national from any of the longstanding "countries of concern" to voluntary leave the US and have a return date after Jan 20, knowing full well what Trump said he would do.

People sent abroad on business or due to a funeral or emergency back home, ok, but anyone who left to just visit relatives in Iran or whatever - what idiots.

Bingo.

For those that did get innocently caught up in things...you want to be a citizen of the greatest Country God ever created?... Then you need to learn that we ALL must sacrifice a bit. Afterall it could be worse...you could have had to make the decision of jumping to your death or burning alive.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Kellyanne Conway will present the correct "alternative facts" and straighten everyone out today.

Didn't happen (and never will), because the media continues to twist the words of the people they interview.

They do not have common sense and will not listen to reason.

Huge group of shit stirrers.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
benny,

Take a look at page 78.

President Trump froze entry for purposes of vetting and security.

Some from the restricted countries were stopped at airports.

The judge only ordered that they could not be deported but did not otherwise restrict the process.

The President's team completed the vetting and admitted the persons halted at the airports.

During the process, certain people like green card holders were exempted from the reach of who the President was seeking to stop at the border unless there was some reason to vet them further.

There was confusion initially about whether people holding green cards or visas would need to be cleared before they boarded inbound flights.

And, initially, people caught on inbound flights who landed were deported subject to the President's authority under Section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 which states:

“Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.”

"Lawful permanent residents of the United States traveling on a valid I-551 (green card) will be allowed to board US-bound aircraft and will be assessed for exceptions at arrival ports of entry, as appropriate," a Department of Homeland Security factsheet read. Citing Reuters

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5525 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

The violence part happened in Portland last night inside the airport. A Trump supporter was knocked out in the airport.

On my phone so sorry I can't post links.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11098 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have a hilarious proposition for President Trump to show how utterly insane the left is:

Take one of former president Obama's Executive Orders, copy it word for word and sign it. They'll squeal like little bitches I am sure, just because it was President Trump who signed it. Then, I'd let them stew on it for a few days and then laugh the entire time while I point out that it was the exact same EO that Obama had signed! It would surely piss of the media who would be pushing others to protest his actions but it would reinforce the notion that the media is absolutely against our President!

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post