SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:...But wait... if a school improves the graduation rate, they no longer get the damn funding. Think about that for a moment. Think about the possible outcomes of such.

In engineering, we call that an unstable feedback system.

In business we call that conflicting goals (fertile ground for corruption).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ghVSZNYPXtw" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That was great. Must be tough being a Hollywood actress and making so little money. Hopefully she gets food stamps between acting gigs.

-c1steve

Posts: 4055 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
So while the DEMs are savagely beating up DeVos as the Education nominee, a new report just came out.

Over his 8 years, Obama pumped $ 7 Billion into a program called School Improvement Grants (SIG).

nice acronym though

The program directed money to schools with low academic achievement and graduation rates below 60 percent for high schools, among other factors.

The report, though, focused on data from nearly 500 schools in 22 states that received SIG funding, and concluded the program had “no significant impact” on reading or math test scores; high school graduation; or college enrollment.

“Overall, we found that the SIG program had no impact on student achievement,” co-author of the report Lisa Dragoset told Fox News.

But wait... if a school improves the graduation rate, they no longer get the damn funding. Think about that for a moment. Think about the possible outcomes of such.

Teachers and their unions are not in the business of educating our children.

The taxpayers have literally thrown money at K-12 education for decades, billions upon billions of dollars over the years, and this is where we are.

Clearly this is not the solution, and I hope Trump does something about it.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
All I know is the more the liberals, the progressives, the Democrats, the celebrities and the MSM rant, rave, protest, demonstrate, obstruct, and generally act like crybaby poor losers, the more I know Trump is doing the right things. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
The cool part of the last 6 days is the deliberate strategy of going big right away and acting on 5 or 6 issues already.
By doing so many things at once, it keeps the media and other opponents from focusing.

The strategy is positively brilliant.

THIS!^^^^
Then add the distraction of something silly, like crowd size, etc. to occupy the simple minds, time and resorces of the media. I'm convinced it's part of the plan. He's just f-ing with them I think. I expect The Donald laughs himself to sleep at night.

Fake left, brake right... keep them one step behind and distracted.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:...But wait... if a school improves the graduation rate, they no longer get the damn funding. Think about that for a moment. Think about the possible outcomes of such.

In business we call that conflicting goals (fertile ground for corruption).

There is truth to the funding part here but guess what. The administrators want a high graduation rate. It makes them look good for the next promotion. Screw everything else. You can still pass and turn in half the work. The admin will find a way to make kids graduate. Remember everyone wins. In the end they are doing a disservice to the kids because they are learning they can succeed(graduate HS) without learning much. Then the real world smacks them in the face.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:....There is truth to the funding part here but guess what. The administrators want a high graduation rate. It makes them look good for the next promotion. Screw everything else. You can still pass and turn in half the work. The admin will find a way to make kids graduate. Remember everyone wins. In the end they are doing a disservice to the kids because they are learning they can succeed(graduate HS) without learning much. Then the real world smacks them in the face.

I teach college in Silicon Valley (ie, I have seen these things in action) and might suggest the kids also learn the system "owes" them not only an education, but a comfortable life thereafter.

I posted recently, at the annual staff orientation last year, one of the school president's hand picked diversity students told the assembly "it is more important for a college student to gain and use political clout than it is to gain an education. (That's what our $Billions are buying us??)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

But wait... if a school improves the graduation rate, they no longer get the damn funding. Think about that for a moment. Think about the possible outcomes of such.

I'd work 10 jobs if I have to in order to keep our son in a Catholic school. Every teacher he has had in his Catholic school left the public system in order to go where they could actually teach. They have all pushed him hard and not let him slack (he's like me, he needs somebody keeping him accountable to the level he is capable. )

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Remember one of the disparaging narratives pushed following the election was that suddenly Trump was shitting at the revelation of "I won, what do I do now!"

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:

America's choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
So while the DEMs are savagely beating up DeVos as the Education nominee, a new report just came out.

“Overall, we found that the SIG program had no impact on student achievement,” co-author of the report Lisa Dragoset told Fox News.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...-on-achievement.html

so please DEMs, keep explaining to us how Trump's nominee has it all wrong. Obviously the DEMs have mastered "getting it wrong" and are indeed the experts.

I read an article a few years ago talking about what a waste of space the DoEd is. That after its founding (by Carter, as a sop to the teachers unions who went all in to get him elected) the US world ranking in education has steadily fallen ever since. I'd be fine if they just shut the whole thing down. It spends a LOT of money and does more harm than good.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
The cool part of the last 6 days is the deliberate strategy of going big right away and acting on 5 or 6 issues already.
By doing so many things at once, it keeps the media and other opponents from focusing.

The strategy is positively brilliant.

THIS!^^^^
Then add the distraction of something silly, like crowd size, etc. to occupy the simple minds, time and resorces of the media. I'm convinced it's part of the plan. He's just f-ing with them I think. I expect The Donald laughs himself to sleep at night.

Fake left, brake right... keep them one step behind and distracted.

I despise run-on threads but this one deserves perpetuity.

I also think this may be purposeful. Call it "The 'ol Trump-a-Dope".

Ive been seeing a few stories pop up today where the storyline is "how stupid" the Administration is. Supposedly they spelled Theresa May's name incorrectly on a couple of releases...thats the "big buzz"'now.

Meanwhile, Our President is certainly going to take on yet another major issue today of great importance. Bueller??? Bueller?????

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
For the past eighteen months, driving into work, tuned into NPR, I just grin as I'm reminded of the line in Beetlejuice...

..."I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME..."

Bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Interesting tidbit on union construction workers hanging a support banner for our new POTUS. If the theory on its removal is accurate, I wonder how long those union bosses will be union bosses?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...s-show-trump-banner/

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had a thought (scary!). What if all the media's furor and the progressive obsession to undermine any information released by this administration is simply to provide a cover story for when TRUE and verifiable subterfuge is found that indites the Obama administration? Create enough doubt that Trump is speaking the truth so those on the fence won't believe the obvious facts?

Talk about scorch and burn policy.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Jim you'll generally get a stink eye from management for conspiracy theories.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post