SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much can he do to make those guys vote the way he wants?

He has two things:
1. The Bully Pulpit. For better or worse, everything he says, does or tweets is national news.
2. The resources of the White House. He can and should be using those resources often to shmooze Congress. They are his constituency now. He has to appeal to them. He should invite each and every one of them to the White House as often as possible.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This will blow over. There is no substance to it. Just tough it out.

That sounds good to me. I also like some of the ideas of others in this thread who have suggested expressing support of the president where comments can be made on the White House website.

I know that for my line of business, President Trump almost immediately through executive order got rid of some very troublesome regulations. He did more in the first week to help me out than any other president in my lifetime has.

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:...Daniel Webster is my congressman. I did my part and then some to help him get elected. I recently spoke one on one with him when he was home from Washington, and told him point blank if he doesn't get off his ass and start supporting this president, and by extension 'us', I'd be putting my time and money behind a primary challenger the next time he came up for re-election. Does that impart just how fed up I am with these losers? And my senator, Bill Nelson, isn't worth the breath it would take to call him. He simply needs to go.

Sincerly,
Thank you.
Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44461 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For the non-heathens among us:

And the officers shall speak further unto the people, and they shall say, What man is there that is fearful and fainthearted? Let him go and return unto his house, lest his brethren's heart faint as well as his heart. - Deuteronomy 20:9 KJV

If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small. - Proverbs 24:10 KJV

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

He has two things:
1. The Bully Pulpit. For better or worse, everything he says, does or tweets is national news.
2. The resources of the White House. He can and should be using those resources often to shmooze Congress. They are his constituency now. He has to appeal to them. He should invite each and every one of them to the White House as often as possible.

The "he" I was refering to is BD's Congressman, who has neither the bully pulpit nor invitations to the WH, other than tickets for the tour.

Sorry that seems ambiguous.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine you're a soldier during WWII. The cause is absolutely just and the mission is clear. You are on the winning side, but now you find yourself in the Battle of the Bulge. The enemy is besieging your position, morale is low, supplies are nonexistent. Some of your comrades are dying and you can see no end in sight.
Everyone there knows what's happening, everyone there is experiencing it. Everyone sees it, everyone is experiencing it, everyone knows.

Under such circumstances, wailing and gnashing of teeth are futile exercises. Tough it out. Bolster your comrades. Defy the enemy.
This, in spades

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "he" I was refering to is BD's Congressman

OK.

quote:
There are ideological duvisions in the House:

Ideological divisions in the House,
from April 11, 2017
69 Progressive Caucus
113 Party Democrats
11 Blue Dog Coalition
4 Vacant
48 Tuesday Group
157 Party Republicans
33 Freedom Caucus

I was referring to the President who wants to move his agenda through Congress. He has to figure out which members of the above groups you mention can most help him and his agenda. Obviously, he has to start by getting most of his own party.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This just happened:

Justice Department taps former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel for Russia investigation
https://www.usatoday.com/story...stigation/101806472/

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Daniel Webster is my congressman. I did my part and then some to help him get elected. I recently spoke one on one with him when he was home from Washington, and told him point blank if he doesn't get off his ass and start supporting this president, and by extension 'us', I'd be putting my time and money behind a primary challenger the next time he came up for re-election. Does that impart just how fed up I am with these losers? And my senator, Bill Nelson, isn't worth the breath it would take to call him. He simply needs to go.

Let me ask you, point blank, what you would have him do to "get off his ass and start supporting this President, and by extension, us?"

Does he vote for the President's positions? How about his committee work? What else is there?

There are ideological duvisions in the House:

Ideological divisions in the House,
from April 11, 2017
69 Progressive Caucus
113 Party Democrats
11 Blue Dog Coalition
4 Vacant
48 Tuesday Group
157 Party Republicans
33 Freedom Caucus

Simply put, go back and research his positions and voting record. What you'll find is a man who's decided to "Go along to get along" with the RINO leadership in the House. As I told him when we spoke, I'm looking for a leader, someone who is unafraid to stand up and maybe take a position that the Trump hating house leadership and media doesn't support (Louie Gohmert comes to mind). God forbid he ruffle a feather or two. Ultimately he's spent to damn much time over the past half dozen years with his index finger in the air trying to determine which way the wind was blowing to be of any use to anyone, other than himself.

I've spoken with a couple of Mr Webster's money backers here locally, and without exception, they're all worried he will not survive his next re-election. With any luck, he won't. i know I'll be doing my part.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I was referring to the President who wants to move his agenda through Congress. He has to figure out which members of the above groups you mention can most help him and his agenda. Obviously, he has to start by getting most of his own party.
I would submit that President Trump needs to accomplish whatever he can do unilaterally, both here and abroad, over the next year or so given both parties in Congress are totally unwilling to work with him given it would take power from them, and lessen the amount they can line their pockets with. In 2018, we need to take the list we've compiled over the past year and a half and start voting out of office every single RINO piece of garbage that has colluded against this president, and by extension, us. We need to give him more people to work with during the mid-term elections, forcing the rest to get in line. Rome wasn't built in a day and we won't be able to root out and dispatch all the filth in Washington with only one election cycle.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Question. I've mainly gotten my updates here, and haven't read this thread daily to keep up. What exactly is the supposed classified info passed to the Russians? I though I read somewhere that it was related to bombs being placed in laptops to be used aboard commercial airliners. Is that correct? If it is, then it's very interesting that immediately after NBC Nightly News (don't ask, watched Jeopardy while loading mags for a GSSF match this weekend and didn't turn it off after the local news) reported on the Special Counsel being named, they ran a piece on......wait for it.....laptop bombs and what the EU and American governments are going to do to combat this threat.

Just wanting to clarify for myself.

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
In November, we took the beaches at Normandy.
We are now pushing the Hun back to Berlin.
No one promised an easy road.

"Nearly 70 years ago, on Aug. 1, 1944, Lieutenant General George S. Patton took command of the American Third Army in France. For the next 30 days they rolled straight toward the German border. Patton almost did not get a chance at his summer of glory. After brilliant service in North Africa and Sicily, fellow officers — and his German enemies — considered him the most gifted American field general of his generation. But near the conclusion of his illustrious Sicilian campaign, the volatile Patton slapped two sick GIs in field hospitals, raving that they were shirkers. In truth, both were ill and at least one was suffering from malaria.
Public outrage eventually followed the shameful incidents. As a result, General Dwight D. Eisenhower was forced to put Patton on ice for eleven key months.

In early 1944, a mythical Patton army was used as a deception to fool the Germans into thinking that “Army Group Patton” might still make another major landing at Calais. The Germans apparently found it incomprehensible that the Americans would bench their most audacious general at the very moment when his audacity was most
When Patton’s Third Army finally became operational seven weeks after D-Day, it was supposed to play only a secondary role — guarding the southern flank of the armies of General Bradley and British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery while securing the Atlantic ports. Despite having the longest route to the German border, Patton headed east. The Third Army took off in a type of American blitzkrieg not seen since Union General William Tecumseh Sherman’s rapid marches through Georgia and the Carolinas during the Civil War. Throughout August 1944, Patton won back over the press. He was foul-mouthed, loud, and uncouth, and he led from the front in flamboyant style with a polished helmet and ivory-handled pistols. In fact, his theatrics masked a deeply learned and analytical military mind. Patton sought to avoid casualties by encircling German armies. In innovative fashion, he partnered with American tactical air forces to cover his flanks as his armored columns raced around static German formations. Naturally rambunctious American GIs fought best, Patton insisted, when “rolling” forward, especially in summertime. Only then, for a brief moment, might the clear skies facilitate overwhelming American air support. In August his soldiers could camp outside, while his speeding tanks still had dry roads.

What lay ahead in winter were the Battle of the Bulge and the nightmare fighting of the Hürtgen Forest — followed by a half-year slog into Germany. Patton would die tragically from injuries sustained in a freak car accident not long after the German surrender. He soon became the stuff of legend but was too often remembered for his theatrics rather than his authentic genius that saved thousands of American lives. Seventy years ago this August, George S. Patton showed America how a democracy’s conscripted soldiers could arise out of nowhere to beat the deadly professionals of an authoritarian regime at their own game."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/383516/

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.
Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans, traditionally, love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooters, the fastest runners, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war, because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.
Now, an army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.
Now, we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit, and the best men in the world. You know, by God I, I actually pity those poor bastards we're going up against, by God, I do. We're not just going to shoot the bastards; we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.
Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty.
The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.
Now there's another thing I want you to remember: I don't want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose.
Now, there's one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you: "What did you do in the great World War II?" You won't have to say, "Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana."
All right, now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh... I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle anytime, anywhere.
That's all."

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Rush had a good point today in asking:

(paraphrased)

"How many of these (sheep) that are swallowing this 'impeach him' line actually think that an impeachment means Hillary gets his job?"

Lots. Let's just ignore these idiots!

I posed this very question to my wife the other night, because I'm convinced a great many of them think somehow that this would overturn the election and the Beast would waddle into the White House.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Pence would be President.
They won't like it or him either.

I say with certainty that History will not treat Democrats and the Press kindly about their behavior currently.
People of the future are going to quite amused and laugh at how backwards and ignorant they were.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's nothing to blow over. They are getting their panties all wet because of Trump's "hopes" and him sharing a threat against airlines with a country that had a plane taken down by radical Islamic terrorists. Not impeachable, period. Nothing to see here, go home folks.

Deep breaths guys. Next week Trump will be president, next month, guess what? President. Next year, president. God willing 2021-2025 president.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have come to the conclusion that Paul Ryan is neither incompetent nor a poor leader

he knows exactly what he is doing and is calculating his next move

I am sorely disappointed in the republicans - particularly McLame who is now more democrat than republican

I don't know why he just doesn't have the balls to come out and tell everyone that he's Nancy Pelosi's bedmate

he is not doing a damned thing to help the country - only tear it down

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53787 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
There's nothing to blow over.
What are you? Helen Keller? Are you kidding me? Have you bothered to look at the news lately? Can you not see the rabid foaming at the mouth and all that shit?

Are you trying to make a point by telling me something I already know? My statement was very simple. Try reading it again. As a matter of fact, try reading the last two or three pages of this thread.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The sooner we acknowledge that there is an attempted coup going on, lead by the media and the DNC, the better off we'll be.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
There's nothing to blow over.
What are you? Helen Keller? Are you kidding me? Have you bothered to look at the news lately? Can you not see the rabid foaming at the mouth and all that shit?

Are you trying to make a point by telling me something I already know? My statement was very simple. Try reading it again.

Just agreeing with you. I wasn't telling you anything. There are no smoking guns. D's are foaming at the mouth, the good guys are panicking. The RINOs are doing what they do. We will all awake to Trump as president tomorrow. I'm going to take a break from worrying and relax, I suggest others do the same.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post