Find
Notify
Tools

Olympics 2024 Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://x.com/FoxNews/status/1817575741887758789

Posts: 13067 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to GBR.

Gold Medal in Men's Trap.

USA got 4th

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3634 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Of course she likes it. Here doctorate is in education and we all know most educators want to ram that crap down your kids' throats.

BTW, in the still image, those giant false eyelashes make her look like a tart.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Our women's Gymnastics team just won Gold in the team competition.

Italy Silver and Brazil Bronze.

It sure is a different feel without Russia.

China took 7th.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3634 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
The swimmers seem to do better with handing their nerves and emotions, but the gymnasts seem to get wrapped around the axle mentally where it can affect their performance more than the swimmers.
I believe a lot of it has to do w/ competing in sports where the results are objectively vs subjectively determined. A swimming race is very straight-forward. The technology of the timing systems and cameras leave no doubt about who finished in what place. A swimmer has no one to blame but himself about where he places.

Contrast that w/ a sport like gymnastics that's subjectively judged. When things get tight between competitors, they're at the mercy of the judges. IMO, there's a lot more to get into one's head.

There are more risk calculations. For example, should you do the safer routine that you hit 90% of the time but at best will likely land you Bronze, or the more difficult routine w/ higher point rating? You've only nailed it 33% of the time in practice. If you pull it off, you'll have a chance at Olympic Gold, but if you don't, you'll most likely finish off the podium.

On top of that, on the women's side, the gymnasts tend to be much younger and immature. I know there have been a lot of teenage phenom female swimmers, but 16-18 y/o Olympian swimmers are still considered the exception where in women's gymnastics that's the norm.

That's great analysis and make perfect sense. Are you a physician or in some other profession using large doses of critical thinking ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8915 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
Our women's Gymnastics team just won Gold in the team competition.

Italy Silver and Brazil Bronze.

It sure is a different feel without Russia.

China took 7th.

Is that the way we're doing this thread--revealing the results before they air in prime time?

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that the way we're doing this thread--revealing the results before they air in prime time?

It’s 2024 not 1984. You cannot expect people to not discuss results in an Olympic thread when headlines are literally pushed to our phones via assorted news sources.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12402 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I actively dislike the subjectively judged "sports." Gymnastics, diving, etc.

The racing sports can be entertaining, although I don't need to see 8 heats of 100 meter breast stroke.

Some of the team games you don't see much of are fun to see every four years - water polo, handball, field hockey, etc.

Some the field events are fun to watch, but they have a tendency to show more of it than I am really interested in. I am always impressed by those guys throwing the shot, etc.

I wish they would show more wrestling and boxing. Those are good sports you never see much of.

And who doesn't want to watch 10 meter air rifle or 50 meter rifle competition on TV? All that action and breathless excitement!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3595 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Not watching a single second of it due to that opening. We have to fire back, at this woke shit, and do it by NOT viewing. They need to learn.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12929 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I actively dislike the subjectively judged "sports." Gymnastics, diving, etc.

The racing sports can be entertaining, although I don't need to see 8 heats of 100 meter breast stroke.

Some of the team games you don't see much of are fun to see every four years - water polo, handball, field hockey, etc.

Some the field events are fun to watch, but they have a tendency to show more of it than I am really interested in. I am always impressed by those guys throwing the shot, etc.

I wish they would show more wrestling and boxing. Those are good sports you never see much of.

And who doesn't want to watch 10 meter air rifle or 50 meter rifle competition on TV? All that action and breathless excitement!

What I look forward to every 4 years is Indoor Cycling...it is so different from anything you'll see outdoors.

The only thing worst than watching shooting sports is fencing...unless you've trained in the sport, everything is happening too fast for most folks to even see

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14248 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The USA seems really good at getting silver and bronze. Gold, not so much.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fine with me. They no longer represent the United States. I urge them to stay in Europe.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

posted Hide Post
I haven't watched a single event . Not missing it at all .

Posts: 4247 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post

I like watching Air Pistol (since there is no Free Pistol) I was training looking towards the Montreal Olympics in FP.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I keep seeing the thing about shooting popping up in social media. It got me curious, as I had no clue what events were in the Olympics. Seriously, besides skeet and traps, those are pretty niche events aren't they? Not like we have the airguns or .22 events widely practiced in our schools and whatnot. Maybe at the college level (I know WVU and UK have shooting teams) but that's kinda it. Doesn't really surprise me that we don't do well there.

We should petition the IOC to include IDPA style events, or maybe 3-gun. Or long-range shooting.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
We should petition the IOC to include IDPA style events, or maybe 3-gun. Or long-range shooting.
Defensive shooting? Impossible. The very thought of firearms used in such a manner will make them crap themselves.

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Olympic Apology
The organizers of the Paris Olympics apologized to Christian and Catholic groups on July 28 over a staged parody of Leonardo Da Vinci’s “The Last Supper” painting that was part of last week’s opening ceremony. The segment on July 26 copied the biblical scene of Jesus Christ and the 12 apostles sharing the last meal before his crucifixion, but it included drag queens, a transgender individual, and a nude singer.

“Clearly, there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group. [The opening ceremony] tried to celebrate community tolerance,” Paris 2024 spokesperson Anne Descamps said on July 28.

Catholics and other Christians decried the scene. “Would they ever have dared mock Islam in a similar way?” Catholic Bishop Robert Barron of the Winona-Rochester Diocese in Minnesota wrote on X. “This deeply secularist, post-modern society knows who its enemy is—they’re naming it—and we should believe them.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/...eyMeAHspy%2BR6sGI%3D

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post