SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
xantom, beautiful new rigs! Who's the maker? Surely not surly Shirley's, are they? Smile

Thank you, Country Built Smokers. He has a YouTube channel. I watched a lot of his videos a few years ago when I made my own offset. I can't buy the materials for what he charges for a finished smoker.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Alle...ngwoodworking/videos

quote:
Beautiful rigs Xantom! You're going to love that Santa Maria. I had a vertical smoker and a Santa Maria mounted on a trailer. Sold it some years back I just couldn't get along with that vertical but that Santa Maria was a delight! Mine was hard to control the heat in. Heat naturally rises so I was always fighting stuff burning on the top couple racks while stuff at the bottom was half cooked. I had to take the bottom two racks out and install a pan to use as a heat sink by filling it with either water or sand so I lost capacity.

I cooked different meats a lot as well so I was always trying to work around not having chicken or poultry dripping down on beef or pork or whatever. I didn't necessarily like beef drippings on my chicken either so we just parted ways. But I will say this it was one hell of a rib cooking machine once I figured out the heat sink and got better control of the temps. looking forward to seeing what comes off both those rigs!

Thanks! There is a 1/4 diverter plate right above the fire box , you can see the lip of the pull just hanging down in the picture above. That water pan should fit right on there, just under the first rack. But I hear what you are saying and I have wondered how that will all work out. My old smoker was just too long and took up to much space. I would imagine I will have to swap racks if it's really bad I guess. I am really excited to try that Santa Maria out. I really want to do a big standing rib roast on it. I bought a 46" rotisserie I plan to bolt on between the posts Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Hell yeah > Cool

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
They arrived today with some minor damages from the shipper. Disappointing but I am so glad this 10 month "acquisition" is over with! Really happy with them and cant wait to start using them. I have some ribs thawed out for tomorrow night.

I made the base for a prep table, and started sealing it today. I have a matching table top coming from the company that made our bar top for the pavilion next week.

Quick Update:

I got the vertical smoker seasoned and did some baby backs on it Friday night. They were very good. The vertical smoker worked well for me. It held temp very good, and used quite a bit less wood than my offset. Overall I am very happy with it.

We also broke in the Santa Maria last night. Got it seasoned and then did some chicken thighs and legs. It was pretty windy here yesterday so I was constantly moving the grate and tending the fire. The chicken was pretty good. It was done but good have been cooked a little longer to render it a little better. Overall I'm very happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xantom,

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Doing 3 big butts for a coworkers 4th party tomorrow. Hope you all have a great 4th!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Smoked my first tri-tip the other day, and I definitely think these will go in my regular rotation!

Similar in final texture and taste to a brisket, just leaner and with a significantly shorter smoking period (~1.5 hours at 225). Perfect for a weekday dinner.

Sorry, no pics. Was doing too much other stuff during the smoke, and the end product didn't stick around long enough to be photographed. Big Grin

Apparently, the idea of smoking and slicing a tri-tip as a standalone cut originated from California, so I guess we can't say that nothing good ever came out of there... Wink

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue, I agree. We are big tri-tip fans. We were getting them at Sams regularly but they’ve cut back on getting them, it’s been a struggle finding them but we’ve had pretty good success stocking up when we can.

Posts: 460 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
We love tri tips too, and they are so easy to do.

I got my rotisserie mounted on the Santa Maria today and I did 2 chickens. They were very good for a first cook, but I think I will turn the breasts out next time. Can't wait to do a bone in rib roast on there.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Smoked my first tri-tip the other day, and I definitely think these will go in my regular rotation!

Similar in final texture and taste to a brisket, just leaner and with a significantly shorter smoking period (~1.5 hours at 225). Perfect for a weekday dinner.

I've made the same comment here before. It's a lot easier as well. I prefer it over brisket.

Try this rub, then cook/smoke as above:

3 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground rosemary
cayenne pepper to taste (I use 1/2 tsp)

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Made a 13# prime brisket for my daughter's birthday party. It overcooked a bit resting with the 2 hour drive but boy was it tender.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Nice bark!

Posts: 12924 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Made a 13# prime brisket for my daughter's birthday party.

It overcooked a bit resting with the 2 hour drive but boy was it tender.

{snipped}

I don't think resting will overcook it.

I have seen some experts that rest a long time, even several hours with spectacular results.

BTW, the brisket looks great, my fav to smoke. Cool

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Made a 13# prime brisket for my daughter's birthday party.

It overcooked a bit resting with the 2 hour drive but boy was it tender.

{snipped}

I don't think resting will overcook it.

I have seen some experts that rest a long time, even several hours with spectacular results.

BTW, the brisket looks great, my fav to smoke. Cool

I rest big cuts for 4-5 hours in a Cambro.

Posts: 12924 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Baby back ribs on the Weber kettle. Took a little over 4 hours but they were outstanding.
I used some Cherry and Hickory chunks.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a touchy subject but I'm sure we can all agree BBQ amazing. Being born and raised in NC, BBQ consists of smoked pork/hog with your choice of sauce (Eastern/Lexington). There is also Texas, Memphis, KC, Alabama, etc.

Personally, I love all kinds of BBQ. I've been seriously smoking meats for the last 5 years or so. Once I've reached financial security with my normal job, I plan to retire and open up a BBQ restaurant for fun because I love smoking meats so much. I've already got a signature rub, Lexington style sauce, and sides. My BBQ slaw needs work but my coleslaw is amazing.

I would love to see what kind of BBQ you guys enjoy, like to make, or have questions about.

I'll start us off with the brisket I made a few days ago.

would it be possible to PM or share the Slaw recipe ??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'll share a cole slaw we make, buy the seasoning packet from Aldens Mill House in Travers City MI, friend introduced me to the place, make this up using Dukes and fresh cut multi color shredded slaw from Publix.

Ginos Cole Slaw

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Sorry, no pics. Was doing too much other stuff during the smoke, and the end product didn't stick around long enough to be photographed. Big Grin

Apparently, the idea of smoking and slicing a tri-tip as a standalone cut originated from California, so I guess we can't say that nothing good ever came out of there... Wink
I lived in SoCal for 3 years and it's where I first learned about tri-tip.

I don't cook brisket at home any more for a few reasons:
  • I live minutes away from two of the Top 10 BBQ joints in Texas so myself and my friends eat high quality brisket frequently (stark contrast to my days in Canada and Alaska)
  • Brisket is a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of leftovers
  • I'd rather spend my time and money on smoking tri-tip or chuck. My Texas grocer, HEB, carries prime grade tri-tip and chuck for 67 to 75 percent less than a brisket. For example, my 4th of July cookout was tri-tip this year. I started a little late so I did a hot smoke at 275 and had it cooked to medium (140F) in 1.25 hours. It was awesome.

Speaking of chuck, it's closer to brisket than tri-tip. It's an adjacent cut to the brisket so its fattier with connective tissue that benefits from low and slow breaking down stuff (i.e. cook to internal temp of 200 to 206). They're smaller so only take 5 or 6 hours at 225 and I season mine identical to brisket.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I really enjoy smoking good quality chuck roasts. I have only been doing it for the last 2 years or so, but it is definitely a keeper with me. Tri-tips are not always easy for me to locate.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Semper Fidelis Marines
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by HRK:
    I'll share a cole slaw we make, buy the seasoning packet from Aldens Mill House in Travers City MI, friend introduced me to the place, make this up using Dukes and fresh cut multi color shredded slaw from Publix.

Ginos Cole Slaw

thanks !

thanks, shawn
    Semper Fi,
    ---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alienator
    Picture of SIG4EVA
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
    Nice bark!

Thanks Jeff! For some reason, I couldn't get a decent smoke ring despite doubling my normal hickory amount. I pulled the brisket at 199 and popped it in the cooler.

Thanks smschulz!

Golddot do you want my white or BBQ slaw recipe or both?

SIG556 Classic
    P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
    SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
    P938 SAS
    P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post