SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

I just started an overnight smoke.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well nabbed some Wagyu Beef Back Ribs from HEB.
Normally, I go for short ribs but thought I'd give these a try:

Two Hours In:

Finale:

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
[/url]

Those look really good!

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4996 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Awesome beef posts guys!!!

We hosted a life group meeting so I did a 10lb pork butt. That bark was amazing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bet wagyu with that level of crust and smoke ring was delicious.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23645 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ For the record it was American Wagyu not the Jap A5 but still delicious nonetheless.

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I just rediscovered this thread and went through all 44 pages since I got a Traeger early this year.

I’m not a cook but I had beginner’s luck. My first three cooks were briskets and they came out very nice. Then I tried chicken thighs and steaks. Then did pork butts in August. I’ll be cooking ribeyes for company in October. But since I didn’t like the amount of reverse sear I got plus the long time it took to get from 225 to 450. I ordered a Su-V gun to do the reverse sear. I plan to sear it at 110 then bring the steaks to the desired temperatures.

I found the Meater probes to be very accurate in their estimates of when the target temperature will be reached. So on the briskets and pulled pork, I monitor the estimated time to temperature and adjust the smoker temperature accordingly.

I plan for when eating time is then back off the expected times on Excel to get the timing for every step including when to start the smoker to warm up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20014 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
What a nice day it was yesterday, had to cook something. I decided to try a meat church bean recipe I ran across. I had a rack of St. Louis ribs on hand too.

I only used a half bottle of Stubbs Sticky Sweet, and they were a little too sweet for me. If I made them again I wouldn't use a sweet sauce in addition to the already sweet bush beans. I added some cubed smoked pork belly ends that were left from the last time I made bacon. Beans were really good though. Ribs were really tender and juicy.

Meat Church Pit Beans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpdbrZu4_K0

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1788 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
xantom, that looks great!

Saturday was Bacon Day at our place.
Bacon-wrapped pork loin, bacon-wrapped corn on the cob, and bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, all smoked.

I'm loving this week's leftovers!

God bless America.

Posts: 13855 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Apple smoked ribs with Texas Roadhouse sirloin seasoning and paprika.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I just rediscovered this thread

I ordered a Su-V gun to do the reverse sear.

I found the Meater probes to be very accurate in their estimates of when the target temperature will be reached.

^^^ Both great devices, have them both.
Using the Su-V Beretta Flame Thrower to start the coals is a blast. Smile
I like using it to sear as well, with it you can cook/smoke it longer and get the sear without overcooking the meat.

posted Hide Post
St Louis spare ribs and Meat Church Pit Beans. I used ground venison in the beans.

I did not use a sweet bbq in the beans like the recipe calls for. The beans are sweet enough so I used some Stubbs Original mixed with my hotter homemade sauce.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I just rediscovered this thread

I ordered a Su-V gun to do the reverse sear.

I found the Meater probes to be very accurate in their estimates of when the target temperature will be reached.

^^^ Both great devices, have them both.
Using the Su-V Beretta Flame Thrower to start the coals is a blast. Smile
I like using it to sear as well, with it you can cook/smoke it longer and get the sear without overcooking the meat.

I have a question as I don’t really know much about cooking. What do you think of my plan: I smoke the steaks to 110 internal. Sear the steaks with the Su-v gun, then continue smoking to the correct done-ess. I thought this might give me room for error as I don’t want to pull it just maybe 2 degrees before it’s done and then go past it with the searing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20014 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
St Louis spare ribs and Meat Church Pit Beans. I used ground venison in the beans.

I did not use a sweet bbq in the beans like the recipe calls for. The beans are sweet enough so I used some Stubbs Original mixed with my hotter homemade sauce.

Nice, I will say that after a day in the fridge those beans were very good. I am going to try regular Stubbs next time and some jalapenos.

quote:
I have a question as I don’t really know much about cooking. What do you think of my plan: I smoke the steaks to 110 internal. Sear the steaks with the Su-v gun, then continue smoking to the correct done-ess. I thought this might give me room for error as I don’t want to pull it just maybe 2 degrees before it’s done and then go past it with the searing.

I have never used a propane gun, but it depends on what final temp you are looking for. I shoot for 125 - 135 max for most beef cuts. Merely my theory, but 20+ degrees seems like a lot to get to with a propane gun to me. 10 - 15 seems more reasonable.

Posts: 1788 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a question as I don’t really know much about cooking. What do you think of my plan: I smoke the steaks to 110 internal.
Sear the steaks with the Su-v gun, then continue smoking to the correct done-ess.
I thought this might give me room for error as I don’t want to pull it just maybe 2 degrees before it’s done and then go past it with the searing.

One of the reasons that I started searing with the flame thrower is that it does not raise the internal temp as much as pan or grill searing.
Not even close.
It allows me to continue cooking and pull off closer to the idea temp ... then sear.
What that is will vary with the meats and what you desire.
I don't see much advantage to pull prematurely then sear and put back on but certainly is possible.
Good Luck.

posted Hide Post
Gonna try a 2.5# chuck roast in the BGE. Seasoned with spg, gonna run it up to 175°, then wrap it and finish to 203 or so. Will post finished pics in a few hours.

Posts: 3644 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
I only used a half bottle of Stubbs Sticky Sweet, and they were a little too sweet for me. If I made them again I wouldn't use a sweet sauce in addition to the already sweet bush beans. I added some cubed smoked pork belly ends that were left from the last time I made bacon. Beans were really good though. Ribs were really tender and juicy.

Meat Church Pit Beans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpdbrZu4_K0

Sounds great, next time try Stubbs Sweet Heat, or Spicy if you use the bush's sweet sauced beans, nice hit of heat...

They have a Sweet Jalapeño sauce might be good too.

Did some baby backs a few weekends ago for the Daughters B-day by request, sort of 3-2-1 method on the Traeger...

Prepped and rubbed the night before with Butt Rub

Just put on the Smoker

Ready to come off

Left overs the night after

Posts: 24212 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well nabbed some Wagyu Beef Back Ribs from HEB.
Normally, I go for short ribs but thought I'd give these a try:

Two Hours In:

Finale:

Never in my life seen beef back ribs with meat on them like that, absolutely stunning !

Posts: 990 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds great, next time try Stubbs Sweet Heat, or Spicy if you use the bush's sweet sauced beans, nice hit of heat...

They have a Sweet Jalapeño sauce might be good too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I bought both but haven't tried them yet. Those ribs and that meal look excellent!

We're hosting a little gathering today. I did a 10lb pork butt yesterday and steamed/smoked some veggies too. 7 hours in the smoker, finished in my oven for about 2.5 hours and then rested for 90 minutes. I had a sample late last night and it was quite good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have a question as I don’t really know much about cooking. What do you think of my plan: I smoke the steaks to 110 internal.
Sear the steaks with the Su-v gun, then continue smoking to the correct done-ess.
I thought this might give me room for error as I don’t want to pull it just maybe 2 degrees before it’s done and then go past it with the searing.

One of the reasons that I started searing with the flame thrower is that it does not raise the internal temp as much as pan or grill searing.
Not even close.
It allows me to continue cooking and pull off closer to the idea temp ... then sear.
What that is will vary with the meats and what you desire.
I don't see much advantage to pull prematurely then sear and put back on but certainly is possible.
Good Luck.

My understanding is if you cook the steaks to the desired temperature, then let them rest 5-10 minutes, then sear would work. Also, not much wrong with the old way of sear first then cook to correct temp.

I’ve done baked beans several times following “How to BBQ Right”. Leftover pulled pork, large chop onions and peppers, heavy splash of bourbon for beans and me. Love them!

Why is it this thread always makes me hungry?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1140 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post