SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 47 48 49 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ So you put on just the skin? Or pork belly with the skin attached?

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Here is a shot at the beginning of the cook. The pork belly chicharron are the 5 "fingers" of meat. There is no skin, the raw meat looks like unsliced bacon.

Just off the smoker

One of the belly pieces sliced open.

Over all, I liked the belly. A lot of the fat rendered, but a fair bit remained. The flavor was excellent, not surprisingly a cross between bacon and rib meat. I do not like excessive fat, so for me, I would probably cut my pieces thinner before smoking to get more fat rendered out. For those that like the fat, the post on pg. 28 of this thread from Tuckerrnr1 for pork burnt ends could easily be made with these. Maybe that is how he did it, I don't know.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4999 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
Here is a shot at the beginning of the cook. The pork belly chicharron are the 5 "fingers" of meat. There is no skin, the raw meat looks like unsliced bacon.

Over all, I liked the belly. A lot of the fat rendered, but a fair bit remained. The flavor was excellent, not surprisingly a cross between bacon and rib meat. I do not like excessive fat, so for me, I would probably cut my pieces thinner before smoking to get more fat rendered out. For those that like the fat, the post on pg. 28 of this thread from Tuckerrnr1 for pork burnt ends could easily be made with these. Maybe that is how he did it, I don't know.

When I hear "chicharron", I think of skins primarily.

I only buy skinless pork belly and cure/smoke belly for bacon.

When I smoke belly (non-cured) it is better on the fatty side and much like pulled pork (butt) for sammiches.

^^ and yes, cutting it in cubes, smoking longer to make make crunchy burnt ends is a way to get less fat > delicious, btw.

OK and my contribution for the thread, yesterdays BEEF rib:

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post