SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
My concrete contractor doesn't do them on a regular basis which made me kind of uncomfortable with it. He would have done it but didn't sound like he wanted to very badly. He also mentioned it would take 30 days to cure and the forms would need to stay up. I didn't want to chance the framers dropping something on it while they are working over it. I also was concerned with it staining. Dimensions of mine would essentially be 8' x 6'. Probably not something I want to tackle myself for a first time concrete table Big Grin

How big was yours and what did you seal it with? Got any pics?

My top will follow this design whatever it's made out of. If the price its astronomical for the wood top I will likely just make something myself and do some custom top next year possibly in concrete still. The notch will be for my 36" cast iron 4 burner grill.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
These were amazing.

Smoked Vidalia chipotle onion rings wrapped in bacon.

https://datenightdoins.com/smo...TYgg4BayUizPdDTyQXCg

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Wow those look awesome!

Doing 2 whole spare ribs and taking my first crack at homemade baked beans tomorrow night.

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
My concrete contractor doesn't do them on a regular basis which made me kind of uncomfortable with it.

He would have done it but didn't sound like he wanted to very badly.
He also mentioned it would take 30 days to cure and the forms would need to stay up.
I didn't want to chance the framers dropping something on it while they are working over it.
I also was concerned with it staining.

Dimensions of mine would essentially be 8' x 6'.
Probably not something I want to tackle myself for a first time concrete table Big Grin

How big was yours and what did you seal it with? Got any pics?

It sounds like the guy just doesn't want to do it.
It is not difficult but does require some finesse which not something regular contractors are used to.
It does NOT take 30 days.
Sure it will take that to fully cure but you do not have to wait to take off forms (1~2 days max) and maybe up to a week to stain and seal.

Your size would make it harder than conventional method which is to form it and then flip it as the bottom would be on the top.
The reason is to get a nice even flat surface.
I imagine with that size they would form in place and grind the top.
Probably not what you want for a countertop.

Mine for my egg was heavy enough (I should have made it a tad thinner) and needed help to flip it.

I used products from Concrete Camouflage Concrete Camouflage.
I got a couple of colors and ended up using more than one to get the color I wanted.
Then used their water based sealer.

The top I formed in my garage and flipped it here to stain:

I originally made it for my medium BGE and this table I made for it:

No pic in place as I haven't put it yet, I am temporarily stuffing in my Large BGE.
I was going to make a stand for the Large one but haven't got around to it and needed to cook so it is in there without the top and the concrete is still sitting on my deck. Frown

But do to your size it is understandable as it will take some planning or six big men and a boy to flip it. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
SMSchultz thanks for the response I'll get back to you soon on what you posted above. Just wanted to post some pics quick on the cook I'm doing today.

First time making my own beans Big Grin

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Pork shoulder went on the Primo an hour ago for an all nighter. Ribs and tenderloin will go on around 5am. Should be looking good around lunchtime tomorrow.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
This was the 4th of July at SC's place.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
But do to your size it is understandable as it will take some planning or six big men and a boy to flip it.

Yours looks good. I actually just hired a contractor to build the top out of white oak and install it. Should be done before end of August.

Mars, those Ribs look great!

Here's some pics of the finished product. My beans tasted good but the beans were not soft enough. I will have to finish them better with the initial simmer next time. The ribs were excellent!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Damn, I want your smoker!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Going with a vertical smoker next year. The offset above works amazingly well for a first time DIY project. Hoping I can sell it and get back the materials I have into it at least. Weighing out building my own or having one fabricated. The vertical will be a great space saver and probably a lot more efficient.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Love it guys, keep it coming! I may smoke another butt tonight if I'm feeling fancy.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Found a great chuck roast and going to give the poor man's burnt ends a go tomorrow on the Primo. Anyone done these and have any pointers?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have not but I'm intrigued...

Signed up for an ammeter BBQ competition in August. Did a test run on my PBC tonight. The meats are 3 racks of baby backs and 4 - 6 leg quarters.

Chicken was perfect, ribs were a bit overdone so will have to dial back the coals in the chimney to start with. Also the ribs were a little under seasoned.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Those ribs look great. I threw some on this morning along with the chuck roast. Hopefully we’ll see some burnt ends in a little while.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not but I'm intrigued...

Chicken was perfect, ribs were a bit overdone so will have to dial back the coals in the chimney to start with. Also the ribs were a little under seasoned.

X,
Looks yummy!
Did testing on the chicken get crispy?
Mine rarely does, what temp was your cooker at?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Crispy yes, but not crunchy crisp is that makes sense. These quarters were brined for 4 hours. They had a Carolina mustard sauce applied and then I used a light coat of Yard Bird dry rub. About 2 hours into the cook I put a thin coat of Stubs on to finish them. The PBC was probably running around 225 - 275 for the chicken. I cut up some cherry chunks and think those were almost too dry and the fire got really hot to begin with and that's why the ribs were slightly dry. Less coals overall, and less coals in the chimney next time.

Honestly I am not afraid to cook chicken at higher temps. I'm referring to skin on, bone in chicken. I think it turns out much better if you cook in the 275 - 325 range. What are you cooking on?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
The roast is now cubed and back on the smoker in pans.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Signed up for an ammeter BBQ competition in August. Did a test run on my PBC tonight. The meats are 3 racks of baby backs and 4 - 6 leg quarters.

Are you limited to using one smoker for the competition? If so, I would think that would be difficult.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Came out decent. Too sweet for me so I’ll try something else next time.

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crispy yes, but not crunchy crisp is that makes sense. These quarters were brined for 4 hours. They had a Carolina mustard sauce applied and then I used a light coat of Yard Bird dry rub. About 2 hours into the cook I put a thin coat of Stubs on to finish them. The PBC was probably running around 225 - 275 for the chicken. I cut up some cherry chunks and think those were almost too dry and the fire got really hot to begin with and that's why the ribs were slightly dry. Less coals overall, and less coals in the chimney next time.

Honestly I am not afraid to cook chicken at higher temps. I'm referring to skin on, bone in chicken. I think it turns out much better if you cook in the 275 - 325 range. What are you cooking on?

Yoder 640 and BGE XL
bone in is all I cook haven't found that magical temp to get crunchy skin?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post