SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 192
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They're just following the naval distancing recommendation of 6 leagues.

Two weeks to flatten the shipwreck curve.

Posts: 32642 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/allahpundit...sea-flagship-n462646

Hours after the Moskva sank, a factory in Kiev that produces anti-ship missiles was hit with three powerful blasts. That was evidently Putin’s response to the ship’s demise, a tacit admission that the Ukrainians really were responsible for it.

On state television, a military analyst doubled down on Russia’s need to win and called for concentration camps for Ukrainians opposed to the invasion.

Two days later, the head of the defense committee in the lower house of parliament said it would take 30 to 40 years to “reeducate” Ukrainians…

“It’s no accident we call them Nazis,” said Margarita Simonyan, who also heads the Kremlin-backed media group that operates the Sputnik and RIA Novosti news agencies. “What makes you a Nazi is your bestial nature, your bestial hatred and your bestial willingness to tear out the eyes of children on the basis of nationality.”…

Less than two weeks before the invasion, Putin used a crude reference to express his determination to force Kyiv to accept Russia’s terms for peaceful coexistence: “Like it or not, put up with it, my beauty,” a term associated with rape for many Russians. Ukraine’s resistance has only toughened the Kremlin’s mood.

Posts: 19657 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So now Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has allegedly had a [air quotes]heart attack[air quotes] and has gone missing?

I can just imagine this call being taken by the deputy defense secretary from one of Putin’s henchmen…let’s call him “Dmitri”

With apologies to Goodfellas:

Ring…Ring…

Who's this?
This is Dmitri
Dimitri, what happened?
Well we-...
You get it straightened out?
No, we had a problem... and uh, we tried to do everything we could.
What d'you mean?
Well, you know what I mean. He's gone, and we couldn't do nothing about it.
[pause] 
That's it.
What d'you mean? What d'you mean? Uh...
He's gone. Uh, he's gone.
[pause] 
And that's it.

Posts: 34054 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Dang...

Via RT news:
Russian military publishes Ukrainian casualty numbersPublished: 16 Apr 2022 | 17:45 GMT

Moscow claims Kiev has lost 23,367 combatants combined from the army, national guard and foreign mercenaries

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe a damn thing out of Russia anymore.

If anything, THEY’VE lost 23,000 men Roll Eyes

Posts: 34054 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hitler phones Putin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhxl_uM47Yc

Posts: 9640 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I don’t believe a damn thing out of Russia anymore.

If anything, THEY’VE lost 23,000 men Roll Eyes

Ah, actually I thought Russia was claiming they lost over 23,000 men. Yeah, I don't trust those numbers either. I was reacting to what I thought were Russian losses.

On the other hand, Zelensky told CNN that Kiev’s estimates suggest “about 2,500 to 3,000” troops have been killed.

I don't necessarily believe that number either.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

“It’s no accident we call them Nazis,” said Margarita Simonyan

When Russian's refer to someone as a Nazi, its a euphemism for 'the West'. The Nazi's were from the West, NATO is from the West, USA is from the West ergo, they're all Nazi's. Its a catch-all term for those whom they don't like or, fearful of from that direction. The Soviets inculcated their population a paranoia and fear of all things outside of their borders, instilling the belief of oppression and threat as a national identity. Its been 30-years since the Cold War ended, and that mindset still remains, even with the ability to travel and outside investment.
quote:
Less than two weeks before the invasion, Putin used a crude reference to express his determination to force Kyiv to accept Russia’s terms for peaceful coexistence: “Like it or not, put up with it, my beauty,” a term associated with rape for many Russians. Ukraine’s resistance has only toughened the Kremlin’s mood.

A brutish and crude culture that is very accepting of violence. You hear the same language coming out of China, North Korea and various other top-heavy, tyrannical type governments.

Posts: 14777 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Running errands earlier I heard part of an interview with Darrel Issa. Best statement from the interview: "We used to think Russia had the second best military on the planet. We now know Russia has the second best military in Ukraine."

Big Grin

-----
(Not quoted exactly, but darned close.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13577 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
that mindset still remains

That’s something that H. R. McMaster discusses in his 2020 book Battlegrounds in connection with Putin and Russia in general. I haven’t paid too much attention to post-Cold War Russian history, but I have slowly come to that same belief. There are a number of things that seem to be true about the current conflict that remind me of the Soviet WWII way of war, right down to the plundering, rapes, and atrocities, all of which at the least are not subject to any serious efforts to be controlled by the leadership, and may even be encouraged, at least unofficially.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47463 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
that mindset still remains

That’s something that H. R. McMaster discusses in his 2020 book Battlegrounds in connection with Putin and Russia in general. I haven’t paid too much attention to post-Cold War Russian history, but I have slowly come to that same belief. There are a number of things that seem to be true about the current conflict that remind me of the Soviet WWII way of war, right down to the plundering, rapes, and atrocities, all of which at the least are not subject to any serious efforts to be controlled by the leadership, and may even be encouraged, at least unofficially.

Yep. It's pretty amazing to see this stuff still happening in 2022.

Purposeful targeting of civilians, looting, forced deportations to the far ends of Russia, ...

I guess these are techniques that worked for them before so they stick with them.

Any delusions about who they are and what they are about have now be dispelled.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I said it before and I'll say it again: should've just kept going east and put them down right after the Japanese were put down. World would have a lot less problems today. No communist China, a single Korea, no Vietnam war, no commies here in America infiltrating our youth since the 50s.

Wasn't it GEN Patton who suggested that? The Russians were weak and battered towards the end of WWII. Should've struck while they were weakened.

Posts: 13178 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:...

Yep. It's pretty amazing to see this stuff still happening in 2022.

Caution: Wet Paint.

I am not amazed, nor surprised.

The "river of life" is more or less, eternal. The "segment of man" in that river, approximately 70 years length, even with overlap of those before and those after, the fact that things affected by each of us in our contribution is a short influence.

To think that somehow the overall of man's behavior is truly any different today, than it was thousands of years ago with regard to how we deal with each other, especially in things like war and the behaviors, is a puzzle to me, that people believe it should or is different.

No one perceives themselves as "the bad guy" in most any given situation. Whether being "an asshole" driver, or "war criminal". Certainly one my choose to not be such, but the perception permits the majority to be selfish, self centered and do things they see as less abhorrent then the other person doin the exact same thing.

With that, we each look at the entire river from our own experience in the "segment" we occupy, and somehow think it is different than anything before, or after, and that "this point" we are "better" as it applies to our "morality".

The river flows from the beginning, to the sea, and the water looks pretty much the same along the length of it. The perception that it is different today, is an illusion.

(I realize I am painting with the big sloppy paintbrush and getting it everywhere_

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44050 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our instincts and behaviors developed over many thousands of years when tribalism was the way of life. That which worked best way back then, is still with us today. We can just scale it up a lot more now.

Twitter appeals to the basest human instincts of tribalism - us vs. them, gang up against the outsider, banish the disloyal. But again it occurs on a larger scale.

Same shit different millenium...

Posts: 4769 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
In this recent interview, Macgregor notes the Russian operation is currently focused on securing the eastern Donbas region of Ukraine, where fighting has been taking place since 2014. During an earlier interview on CNN, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy noted the largest and most experienced elements of the Ukrainian army are located in this region. According to Zelenskyy, approximately 44,000 Ukrainian troops are there; oddly, Zelenskyy seemed to concede that he has no control over what’s happening there.

During this segment, Macgregor notes the current Russian objective is to encircle those eastern Ukraine forces, cut them off from western supply lines, and then slowly and methodically eliminate them – while separating them from Russian speaking citizens in the region. Macgregor notes a particular concern once those Ukraine forces are eliminated. WATCH:

https://theconservativetreehou...ukraine/#more-231909

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24260 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Russian forces have started the battle for Donbas, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a video address on Monday.

“Russian forces have started the battle for Donbas for which they've been preparing for a long time and a considerable amount of the Russian forces are concentrated and focused on that offensive,” Zelensky said.

“No matter how many Russian servicemen they're bringing into that area, we will keep on fighting and defending and we will be doing this daily. We will not give up anything that is Ukrainian but we don't need anything that is not ours,” Zelensky said.

In frame taken from a video posted to social media, a long column of Russian military vehicles is seen heading from the Russian border toward the city of Izium, where Russian forces have been gathering. The vehicles are seen moving through the city of Kupiansk in the Kharkiv region

Oleksiy Danilov, secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council, said Monday that Russian forces had launched an effort to break through Ukrainian front lines in three regions.

"Today, almost along the entire front line of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kharkiv regions, the occupiers tried to break through our defenses,"

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Ukraine Updates: Explosions Across Donbas, Russia Holding Back Gas to Europe

Mariupol is hanging by a thread.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the second phase of the war has begun in Donbas. Reports coming out of east Ukraine seem to confirm this fear.

https://legalinsurrection.com/...ossible-to-evacuate/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24260 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

LMAO what a poseur Big Grin

He's a portly 60 year old wannabe who is probably just getting in their way if he's even near any real fighting.

As someone pointed out, he's awfully active tweeting from there like dozens of times a day, so what's up with that?