SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 192
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If the MOSKVA was sunk as a result of an attack by Neptune ASCMs launched by Ukraine, it becomes largest tonnage *warship* (11.5K GT) sunk by cruise missiles. If the Moskva sinks, it would be the largest warship built post-WWII sunk in combat.

Posts: 1059 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
From what I can gather on the webz, Ukraine is suspected to have only completed 1 Neptune battery prior to the outbreak of the invasion. If that is accurate they possess 2 more shots. The Moskva was apparently the fleets best defense against incoming missile threats so hopefully another fat target will be sunk as well.

Early in the invasion, Turkey exercised international law by blocking their Dardanelles and Bosphorus straits to all warships at Ukraine’s request making it impossible for Russia to add more assets. This may make the Russian fleet vulnerable to further attacks now that their most formidable defensive asset is out of the picture. Let’s hope so.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15682 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
This was last seen nearing the MOSKVA...

Russian ship not worry, we tow you to scrapyard.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34215 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Well the Russian Ministry of Defense states that Moskva has sunk under tow in stormy conditions. Missile hit, accident or mine strike, as also speculated, she's gone.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I thought this was cool:

Posts: 9093 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Gordon Lightfoot should write a song ...

Posts: 15950 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Don't say that - Jay Farrar would cover it.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
That's a shame that a flag ship like that could just spontaneously catch fire and sink. Those russians should be more careful. Luckily they had all that water to put the fire out, on the way down.
I'm surprised they haven't announced that the fire is now under control.

Posts: 7420 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

The 186-meter-long vessel is the third-largest in Russia’s active fleet, and crucial to Russian naval power. The only Russian warship capable of carrying nuclear weapons, the Moskva is one of three Soviet-era “Slava”-class guided missile cruisers.

Since Russia launched its attack on neighboring Ukraine in February, the 12,500-ton Moskva has been used as a crucial store of defensive weapons and air defense missiles, as well as a hub for coordinating naval attacks, according to experts…

“After the explosion, four or five other Russian warships in the northern part of the Black Sea repositioned farther away from shore,” said a U.S. official. Why would they do that if Russia is telling the truth about the Moskva, that its damage was caused by a “fire” rather than a Ukrainian attack?

crew of 500+

The Russian warship that was told to go f*** itself was none other than the Moskva

https://hotair.com/allahpundit...r-battleship-n462485

Posts: 19657 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Why would the hull of that ship be dented to hell the entire length of the vessel?

Posts: 17942 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
That's a shame that a flag ship like that could just spontaneously catch fire and sink. Those russians should be more careful. Luckily they had all that water to put the fire out, on the way down.
I'm surprised they haven't announced that the fire is now under control.

My mistake. They did announce the fire is under control.
Fire under control

Posts: 7420 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
sunk

Haha. Good. No matter how or why. That's fucking awesome.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of photos & text from a 2008 tour of the Moskva:

https://theaviationist.com/2022/04/14/aboard-moskva/

Posts: 15934 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yep. Good for them. I guess the only issue is that there's now a few nukes laying at the bottom of the Black Sea. Hopefully they can be secured.

Posts: 20199 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Here's hoping the Russian Navy has a different attitude towards lost nukes than the Russian Army has towards lost tanks.
quote:
“After the explosion, four or five other Russian warships in the northern part of the Black Sea repositioned farther away from shore,” said a U.S. official.

I'd love to know how that affects their ability to shoot onto or over land and monitor what's going on inland.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
If the MOSKVA was sunk as a result of an attack by Neptune ASCMs launched by Ukraine, it becomes largest tonnage *warship* (11.5K GT) sunk by cruise missiles. If the Moskva sinks, it would be the largest warship built post-WWII sunk in combat.

Yup
The Royal Navy sunk the ARA General Belgrano during the Falklands, a former US cruiser that was sold to the Argentinian's. Moskva is a tad larger and (was) supposed to be much more capable ship.

Will be very interesting to see what is revealed from satellite photo's of Sebastopol, I'm assuming the Moskva was towed there.

Posts: 14777 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3455 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Yep. Good for them. I guess the only issue is that there's now a few nukes laying at the bottom of the Black Sea. Hopefully they can be secured.

I wonder if she really had nukes on board. She was *capable* of carrying nukes, and I'm sure the media will hype up the 'lost nukes' bit for all it's worth (remember that RUSSIA USED SARIN!!!! OMG!@11!! story a coupla days ago that went nowhere?). Whether they were actually loaded on board, it's anybody's guess.

I haven't seen any (legit) photos of her sinking yet (I saw one that was a blatant photoshop). I would think those would be all over the place, assuming somebody was there to capture the moment. Of course, the Ruskies won't release their photos, as a huge hole in the side of the ship while it sinks in bathtub-calm waters would invalidate their 'accidental fire/explosion and sinking in heavy weather' story (lie). If Ukraine had any photos, I would expect them to be all over the place by now. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21862 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We didn't lose the ship to combat! We lost it due to poor maintenance and incompetence!

Either way they lost the ship. Neither scenario says anything good about the Russian Navy.

Posts: 4769 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

The 186-meter-long vessel is the third-largest in Russia’s active fleet, and crucial to Russian naval power. The only Russian warship capable of carrying nuclear weapons, the Moskva is one of three Soviet-era “Slava”-class guided missile cruisers.

Since Russia launched its attack on neighboring Ukraine in February, the 12,500-ton Moskva has been used as a crucial store of defensive weapons and air defense missiles, as well as a hub for coordinating naval attacks, according to experts…

“After the explosion, four or five other Russian warships in the northern part of the Black Sea repositioned farther away from shore,” said a U.S. official. Why would they do that if Russia is telling the truth about the Moskva, that its damage was caused by a “fire” rather than a Ukrainian attack?

crew of 500+

The Russian warship that was told to go f*** itself was none other than the Moskva

https://hotair.com/allahpundit...r-battleship-n462485

They ship fires are dangerous and unpredictable. They need proper clearance so the fire doesn't end up spreading through the rest of the fleet.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3538 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post