SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 193
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

The real headline here: Balzé Halzé uses Gaston as his Disney+ avatar. Eek

Easy there, killer. Gaston was the man.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Just thinking here…wouldn’t blowing up bio weapons labs to protect people from bio weapons be kinda counterproductive?

Short of nuking it from orbit, you're probably correct.

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Interview starts at 16:45.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skull Leader,

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This is the stuff that legit keeps me up at night…

US doesn't stand 'a fighting chance' if Russia and China combine cyber tech, former Pentagon official says

China may already be sharing data with Russia, and America wouldn't stand "a fighting chance" if the two superpowers combined their cyber warfare capabilities, the U.S. Air Force's former chief software officer told Fox News.

"Not many nations would be able to push back," Nicolas Chaillan told Fox News. "I don't even think the United States would be able to push back if tomorrow Russia and China decide to come together against us."

"I think it would be very difficult for us to be able to even have a fighting chance, let alone a nation like Ukraine," he added. 

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
My wife does business with a lady in Kharkiv and she left a voicemail through social media...she said Russians were using Grads (BM-21) to shell the city almost every night. These are multi-barrel rocket launchers and are notoriously inaccurate and likely just being used to terrorize the people of the city rather than for strategic target elimination.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Russians just love their rocket attacks and have no compunction about wiping-out grid-squares, regardless of location, setting or, opposition. Their heavy, (you could say over-usage) of thermobaric warheads in their rocket attacks just reinforces their inability to be precise, exacting and focused.
In a sick sort of way, this type of warfare is 'good' as it makes people 1) terrified, and 2) sickened by the damage and losses. As such, this is the type of warfare that reminds people why war and fighting is 'bad'. The US's 'strategic' eliminations with virtually no collateral damage makes war far to clean and something not to be avoided at all costs.

For the first couple nights they seemed to target very specific targets but as time goes their target list seems to be expanding.

2 nights ago they hit the tank school, my family was 1.2 km away and thought the building was going to come down on them. Thankfully it drove them to finally take up the offer from a cousin to go 100km to the south east.

But now the russians (I believe....it makes sense) are pushing out to the south of kharkiv and they are caught again in the path of the russians/ukrainians, lucky for them they are on a farm in the middle of no where and not near a road/train junction as the russians seem to be hitting them at night. They are about 25-30km from the nearest targets and the russians do not seem to want to get very far from the MSRs due to it being in the mid 30s and they seems to have the bad habit of getting stuck.

It would seem that until the russians secure their southern flank they will not move into Kharkiv....that means more grad fire.

I would say the russians learned from Grozny but with the sloppy, fucked up way they have run this invasion so far I would not put it past them to repeat a Grozny pt1.

I lived in Kharkiv, in fact I lived 2-3 blocks from the square....I hate seeing my second home town being torn down. While my SIL and her family got out we still have several family members / friends there that we are in contact with daily.....all are ok so far

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the reasons Putin did invade Ukraine, what should our responce now be? A no fly zone in Ukraine, destabilzing the Russian economy into collapse? A lot to think about.

Posts: 13119 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Russians just love their rocket attacks and have no compunction about wiping-out grid-squares, regardless of location, setting or, opposition. Their heavy, (you could say over-usage) of thermobaric warheads in their rocket attacks just reinforces their inability to be precise, exacting and focused.
In a sick sort of way, this type of warfare is 'good' as it makes people 1) terrified, and 2) sickened by the damage and losses. As such, this is the type of warfare that reminds people why war and fighting is 'bad'. The US's 'strategic' eliminations with virtually no collateral damage makes war far to clean and something not to be avoided at all costs.

You gotta hand it to the Russian's, when they go to war, they take the military ethos of kill people and break things quite literally. There's no nuance, no degrees, we're rolling in, and fucking-shit up. As Ivan Drago once said, "I will break you". M

For all the advances in precision munitions and electronic warfare that the West has developed, it's simultaneously given the Western public a false sense of what war is and all that it entails. How many idiots were bloviating about a No-Fly Zone over Ukraine. Roll Eyes With Russian war fighting doctrine, when all else fails, you bring in your trump-card: mass. Soviet/Russian methods could bring mass to the battlefield; overwhelm the opposition...if that means over-kill or, throwing their own soldiers against a wall until it cracks, they will do it. I think we're gonna see mass enter into the equation pretty soon. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
My wife does business with a lady in Kharkiv and she left a voicemail through social media...she said Russians were using Grads (BM-21) to shell the city almost every night. These are multi-barrel rocket launchers and are notoriously inaccurate and likely just being used to terrorize the people of the city rather than for strategic target elimination.

Russians more or less developed the MLRS (Multiple-Launch Rocket System) as a viable weapon on the battlefield. The BM-21 is the modern development of the WWII-era BM-13 Katyusha rockets, the Palestinian's favorite and the Isreali's Iron Dome best friend. The TORS-2 just entered service and that's what's causing the thermobaric explosions that are lighting up the night sky and tearing apart neighborhoods.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Yup; mass has a quality of its own.

It was there in plain sight the whole time, visible to the naked eye for all to see; with history.

It is amazing how badly people missed this point. And I’m talking about Europe and DC.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
For the first couple nights they seemed to target very specific targets but as time goes their target list seems to be expanding.
That's one of the concerns: That, as Putin continues to be stymied and civilians continue to arm themselves, he'll increasingly see the latter as combatants, rather than civilians, and the shelling will become increasingly indiscriminate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
That's one of the concerns: That, as Putin continues to be stymied and civilians continue to arm themselves, he'll increasingly see the latter as combatants, rather than civilians, and the shelling will become increasingly indiscriminate.

Indiscriminate as far as OUR standards, however for them, its perfectly fine or, good enough in their form of reason. Their GPS guided weapons aren't very good, no greater example than that missile missing the target building, and instead nailing an intersection in Kharkiv. Russian air strikes in Syria were so sloppy, every US SOF units that watched, shook their heads in amazement; one I guy I met remarked, "they were the most expensive landscaping company in the world." All the did was tear-down buildings and turn dirt.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I don't think he's shelling cities because the people are armed. He's shelling cities because that's just how he operates.

When he thought it was going to be a cakewalk he might have wanted to keep the infrastructure intact but now that's it's getting difficult he will have no problem leveling cities.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Is it safe to assume that Ukraine has no long-range missiles that they could could fire into Russia? I know they gave up their nuclear weapons, but do they have a conventional capacity that haven't dared use?

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I think the reason all the leftists are so enthusiastically on the "Ukraine Train" is that the sanctions are the FIRST thing president potato did that the country can get behind. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No more Russian dressing at restaurants, I imagine.

Naturally. It will be rebranded as Freedom Dressing.

I'm thinking Putin would have loved nothing better than to have had a swift victory so he could pose for a portrait Il-sung/Jong-Il/Jong-Un style on horseback, bare-chested against a backdrop of burning Western cities. I bet he was keen on Frank Frazetta art back in the day too.

Unfortunately for him, as someone mentioned elsehwere, Ukraine is a bit of a porcupine the Russian Bear is having trouble swallowing at the moment.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3356 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Is it safe to assume that Ukraine has no long-range missiles that they could could fire into Russia? I know they gave up their nuclear weapons, but do they have a conventional capacity that haven't dared use?

If they'd kept just one nuke in the middle of Kiev and told Putin that if he takes Ukraine they will detonate it, they might have avoided all this. Kind of the Doomsday Machine idea from Dr. Strangelove. We can't stop you from attacking, but we can make it so that what you capture is worthless.

How they gave up the nukes without joining NATO, and trusted a non-aggression "promise" from Russia was pretty foolish. They basically got the equivalent of a letter of intent but no contract.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Snip

I lived in Kharkiv, in fact I lived 2-3 blocks from the square....I hate seeing my second home town being torn down. While my SIL and her family got out we still have several family members / friends there that we are in contact with daily.....all are ok so far

I truly hope your friends and family will make it out of this ok. Sometimes we forget about the human cost when we are playing armchair general.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

If they'd kept just one nuke in the middle of Kiev and told Putin that if he takes Ukraine they will detonate it, they might have avoided all this. Kind of the Doomsday Machine idea from Dr. Strangelove. We can't stop you from attacking, but we can make it so that what you capture is worthless.

How they gave up the nukes without joining NATO, and trusted a non-aggression "promise" from Russia was pretty foolish. They basically got the equivalent of a letter of intent but no contract.

I wonder when they split if anyone with the launch/detonate codes was still around or if they had atomic paperweights?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Appears to be combat and fires at Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.
https://youtu.be/ph9yj8TlLTU

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
This is the stuff that legit keeps me up at night…

US doesn't stand 'a fighting chance' if Russia and China combine cyber tech, former Pentagon official says

China may already be sharing data with Russia, and America wouldn't stand "a fighting chance" if the two superpowers combined their cyber warfare capabilities, the U.S. Air Force's former chief software officer told Fox News.

"Not many nations would be able to push back," Nicolas Chaillan told Fox News. "I don't even think the United States would be able to push back if tomorrow Russia and China decide to come together against us."

"I think it would be very difficult for us to be able to even have a fighting chance, let alone a nation like Ukraine," he added. 

To our knees with the flip of a switch...and nobody who should care seems to.

Posts: 20606 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Appears to be combat and fires at Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.
https://youtu.be/ph9yj8TlLTU

Well that's not good.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post