SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... 191
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
"Maverixky, you did an incredibly brave thing. What you should have done was land your plane! You don't own that plane! The people of Mother Russia do! Comrade, your ego is writing checkskys your body can't cash!"

You win the interwebs today Big Grin

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
NHRacer. I must have rattled you. I mentioned a story the HRK posted yesterday, and it isn't until I cite it that you go hysterical. Still waiting to see where YOUR facts come from. But I have a few guesses. But keep sticking with YOUR propaganda, I'll keep sticking with the facts and real news. But I don't care. GOing to do something I've never done in 20 years here: use the ignore feature. I don't have time for stupidity.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Maybe they'll make the guy fly rubber dog shit out of Vladivostok for the rest of his career.

Posts: 2418 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Nah, that pilot will be given a medal for destroying a spy plane. Maybe even turn it into a movie.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
NHRacer. I must have rattled you. I mentioned a story the HRK posted yesterday, and it isn't until I cite it that you go hysterical. Still waiting to see where YOUR facts come from. But I have a few guesses. But keep sticking with YOUR propaganda, I'll keep sticking with the facts and real news. But I don't care. GOing to do something I've never done in 20 years here: use the ignore feature. I don't have time for stupidity.

I'm NOT pushing propaganda, I'm merely pointing out propaganda. Facts and 'real news'...That's funny right there! Feel free to ignore the truth though...

It's amazing that you are so 'dug in' that you aren't even willing to actually read all the words that are posted (or comprehend them), and then jump to conclusions, regarding things not even posted! That, and an overwhelming reliance on conjecture as the basis to refute whatever, or whoever disagrees with the propaganda that comforts you!

Just another day in the 'Idiot Biden War Propaganda' thread...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
There are several other ways the Russian pilot could have approached and passed the drone without being blind. He could have accomplished the fuel dump without the crazy risk. Interesting that he did not have decent training on intercept and pass techniques.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Opinions may vary but I don't think ramming is an effective method of intercept, if you want your own aircraft back.

Ramming is an excellent method of intercept. It worked, right? Not the first time it’s been done.

Dropping landing gear and ramming SUAS is a thing, and surprisingly one of the easiest methods to bring them down. Of course, MQ-9 is not a SUAS and this Russian pilot appears lucky more than skilled. I’m just pointing out that if it’s stupid but it works, it isn’t stupid.

Also, does anyone here actually believe this happened in international airspace? The Reaper video always has symbology showing its current location; it was sanitized for public release which means we are intentionally not saying where the event happened.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
Maybe they'll make the guy fly rubber dog shit out of Vladivostok for the rest of his career.

The shortest BansheeOne post that I recall. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
And this incident took place about 120NM miles SSW of Sevastopol, well outside Russian airspace.
Edit to fix distances to Sevastopol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IrishWind,

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And this incident took place 40-50NM miles SSW of Sevastopol, well outside Russian airspace.

Is it an act of war to intentionally take down our aircraft in international airspace?

I saw the video, and it was not taken down by mistake. It was clearly intentional.
Sure, it may not have been "safe and professional" to clip the propeller. That part may have been an accident. But if flown perfectly, dumping fuel on it to blind it was an intentional act to bring it down.

So, what's our response?

We give a press conference, at the Pentagon, with a "strongly worded" rebuke. We said the Russians would have to be "more professional":
quote:

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin vowed on Wednesday that U.S. aircraft will continue to "fly and to operate wherever international law allows," one day after Russian aircraft hit a U.S. drone over the Black Sea, forcing it to be brought down in international waters.

"This hazardous episode is part of a pattern of aggressive, and risky, and unsafe actions in international airspace," Austin said at the beginning of a meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group. "So make no mistake, the United States will continue to fly and to operate wherever international law allows. And it is incumbent upon Russia to operate its' military aircraft in a safe and professional manner."

So, is Lloyd Austin saying, in effect, it's OK to take down our aircraft in international airspace as long as you do it in "a safe and professional manner" ... without so much risk to your own aircraft or pilot?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
And this incident took place 40-50NM miles SSW of Sevastopol, well outside Russian airspace.

Well outside of Russian airspace but is it within the airspace of a warzone? Honest question.

If it's within that airspace and Russians have assets floating around outside of Crimea, and knowing that Ukraine has been given "Western Support", is it not unrealistic for them to consider that drone a threat?

The other option is that the Russians knew it was a US asset and took it down anyway. A calculated chance that it won't start a shooting war with the US?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I just heard on our local MSM News that it is now only "Harassment". That sounds much better don't you think.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other option is that the Russians knew it was a US asset and took it down anyway. A calculated chance that it won't start a shooting war with the US?

They have calculated correctly... this time.
But isn't that how escalation happens?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
I just heard on our local MSM News that it is now only "Harassment". That sounds much better don't you think.

Someone should notify HR, harassment will not be tolerated.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I just plotted the approximate location of where the incident happened. It is more like 120nm from Sevastopol. The nearest land referred to in the graphic is actually Turkey.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

They have calculated correctly... this time.
But isn't that how escalation happens?

100%. However, is that why the US is responding with a strongly worded rebuke? The drone was flying around in a warzone?

At the end of the day it won't matter though, right? Doesn't matter who started it, a shooting war is pretty much going to trigger some real bad mojo for everyone.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should just say: President Zelenskyy, the answer is no more.
Ask the Germans for help.

-rduckwor

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Maybe we should just say: President Zelenskyy, the answer is no more.
Ask the Germans for help.
For as long as it takes? Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nah, that pilot will be given a medal for destroying a spy plane. Maybe even turn it into a movie.

Called it! Awards given to the two pilots.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rus...ilots-094828825.html

Dirt Sailors Unite!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Called it! Awards given to the two pilots.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rus...ilots-094828825.html

Russians give medals for ANYTHING.
Those Wagner mercenaries in Syria, who's column got annihilated by us in 2018 Battle of Conoco Fields, those survivors received medals in Moscow.

As to the larger issue...drones are supposed to be inexpensive options compared to manned aircraft. A medium sized surveillance drone getting knocked-down, is no different than a large-size drone like what Iran shot down back in 2019 Is it worth going to war over? The Chinese got stupid back 2001 with the Hainan Island incident, that would've been a bigger reason to trade paint and destroy property than this. If a manned platform is a full-step on the escalation ladder, is a unmanned platform a half step-up?

Like the U-2, surveillance tech doesn't require the platform to be directly overhead, you can skirt the perimeter of the zone you're investigating. The crux is that the drone tech doesn't get so damn expensive and exquisite that decision makers twist themselves into knots figuring out if they should continue. Keep sending them up, drones are supposed to be expendable.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post