SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Agree. Bad pinch. And not only is it bad, the Cop had to know it would go viral. When will Cops figure out that everyone is video equipped these days? And I NEVER attempted to get a blood sample for another agency. For someone who is not a suspect or arrestee? Can you say "Chain of Custody" problem? If this other agency wanted a blood draw, they should have sent one of their own to get it. And if the hospital staff would have refused me anything, I would asked my prosecutor for a subpoena for the records I needed. All ERs routinely check for blood alcohol levels since that info is needed for proper treatment.
There was more than one way to skin this cat without all this insanity.

This. A lot of cops don't understand that everyone has a cell phone camera and they can't wait to shoot video and post it on social media. If this incident had occurred 15 - 20 years ago nobody would have heard about it.

Police realize everyone has cameras, a lot of police have body cams. You see video after of video of people doing stupid shit. Look at Youtube. Cameras don't stop idiots, just makes them more visible.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Cameras don't stop idiots, just makes them more visible.

QFT.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The cop himself had a body camera and that didn't stop him.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
For the uninitiated: the law in this state allows blood draws on unconscious subjects when they are (aware or not) that they are under arrest for DUI. Nurses, under the law, medical personnel are exempt from liability when conducting blood draws which are required from the state. We've seen a lack of cooperation from ER staff from time to time, but have never resorted to this kind of silliness. That doesn't serve anyone well. I'm not sure what happened here, but it was handled incorrectly to the nth degree.

There was no evidence the person from whom the DOUCHEBADGE wanted blood was intoxicated. Zero.
And he was not under arrest. Therefore, your statement is a nonsequiter.

Wubbels carefully explained the law and policy and the DOUCHEBADGE arrested her because that's what douchebadges do when you refuse to implicate yourself in their criminal behavior.

As for everyone having video cameras, the most egregious video was from the douchebadge's own body camera!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
For the uninitiated: the law in this state allows blood draws on unconscious subjects when they are (aware or not) that they are under arrest for DUI. Nurses, under the law, medical personnel are exempt from liability when conducting blood draws which are required from the state. We've seen a lack of cooperation from ER staff from time to time, but have never resorted to this kind of silliness. That doesn't serve anyone well. I'm not sure what happened here, but it was handled incorrectly to the nth degree.

There was no evidence the person from whom the DOUCHEBADGE wanted blood was intoxicated. Zero.
And he was not under arrest. Therefore, your statement is a nonsequiter.

Wubbels carefully explained the law and policy and the DOUCHEBADGE arrested her because that's what douchebadges do when you refuse to implicate yourself in their criminal behavior.

As for everyone having video cameras, the most egregious video was from the douchebadge's own body camera!
I'll add that the unconscious VICTIM is a reserve law enforcement officer from Rigby, Idaho. Here an excerpt from the chief of police in Rigby's response:
quote:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The arresting officers shown on the video were looking to draw blood from a critically injured unconscious semi-truck driver who had been the victim of a head-on collision with a suspect fleeing police.

So what's the victim accused of that would warrant a blood draw as defined by state law? Innocent bystander comes to mind.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the victim accused of that would warrant a blood draw as defined by state law? Innocent bystander comes to mind.

Blood draw and state law? None. By federal regulation the driver is obligated to submit to drug testing as he was operating a commercial motor vehicle that was involved in a fatality accident.

This still shouldn't have anything to do with what happened here. If any testing is administered that involve the police, that testing is suitable to meet the DOT requirements. Otherwise the employer is responsible for sending their driver for testing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here in Georgia, any CDL driver involved in a fatal collision, at fault or not, is required to have a blood test.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34128 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

Agree, in spades, x1000.

Shit like this is the reason we can't have nice things.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gray was severely injured in a northern Utah crash in July while working his full-time job as a truck driver. According to Tower, a suspect was fleeing Utah State Highway Patrol when the suspect's vehicle collided with Gray's truck.

I guess I don't understand the cops hard-on for getting blood from a victim that was hit by a fleeing suspect.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
So what did this guy and his supervisor actually commit? They took her away by force, against her will, without any evidence of a crime. Isn't that abduction? If it's not, it damn well should be.

Utah like Arizona, assault of a healthcare worker is a felony.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11773 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
So what did this guy and his supervisor actually commit? They took her away by force, against her will, without any evidence of a crime. Isn't that abduction? If it's not, it damn well should be.

Boyoboyoboy... that would make a loud thump and a jolt as the bus built up speed.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Here in Georgia, any CDL driver involved in a fatal collision, at fault or not, is required to have a blood test.

If that's the case, I see no reason why a judge would not issue a warrant for the blood draw. In the long version of the video, the arresting officer can be heard stating that he does not have a warrant.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11773 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that's the case, I see no reason why a judge would not issue a warrant for the blood draw. In the long version of the video, the arresting officer can be heard stating that he does not have a warrant.

Because a warrant may only issue on probable cause that a crime was committed, not because some civil administrative law says that a blood test needs to be done.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
I guess I don't understand the cops hard-on for getting blood from a victim that was hit by a fleeing suspect.

That was the original thing. The hard-on came when he was refused. Perhaps he's not accustomed to being told "no" by mere citizens?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
all of this could have been avoided and handled professionally by doing one of two things:

1. get a warrant

2. get a subpoena at a later time for the hospital records...

now this guy makes the rest of cops look like assholes and it makes their jobs harder

douche

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Police dash camera footage of the attempted murder of the semi driver.

I say attempted murder because this was no accident.

It was deliberate suicide while trying to murder an innocent stranger.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/MtUb33u4bco

Nice is overrated

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:

Seems they have ordered a criminal investigation of the officer and his supervisor re the arrest, plus an internal citizen's board review. The Salt Lake police chief, major apologized to nurse Wubbels. The Utah governor and nurses association expressed concern over the police actions. The officer/supervisor were put on leave from the police dept (had to turn their gear in?) and the officer was put on leave from his ambulance driving job. I don't think I have heard of a single voice standing up for the officer.

I wonder what Officer Payne and his supervisor are thinking right now. Are they still belligerent? Or are they realizing how badly they screwed up?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
all of this could have been avoided and handled professionally by doing one of two things:

1. get a warrant

2. get a subpoena at a later time for the hospital records...

now this guy makes the rest of cops look like assholes and it makes their jobs harder

douche

Correct.

"I need blood from the victim"
"Not without a warrant"
"OK"

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder what Officer Payne and his supervisor are thinking right now.

"How did I get my dick in this blender?"

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post