SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the patient SLPD wanted to get a blood sample from was a reserve police officer from Idaho. The Tribune said he was the victim in the case they were investigating. I'm guessing had he been conscious, he likely would have given them the sample.

So the unconscious patient was a victim, right?

So why would some badge toting moron demand to get a blood sample from the VICTIM?

Screening process for hiring cops in that jurisdiction must be non-existent.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
She should have given Officer Combover a needle and tube - "Draw it yourself, asshole".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Internal affairs investigation and he's still on duty?
Why isn't that guy under arrest for assault and battery and the officers with him suspended for sitting on their hands and watching a crime being committed?? No probably cause?
If the person battering the nurse in their presence had been a civilian, what would they have done?

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Do LEOs even have authority EVER to force a medical professional to perform a procedure?

Warrant or if under arrest for DUI/DWI.

They may be able to compel a person to submit, not sure they can order a practitioner to perform the procedure.

Misread the question. My apologizes. You really don't want to piss off the ER staff.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
What about the SLPD supervisor who lectured her while she was in the police car? He was a real condescending know it all, and talked down to her like she was a little kid in sunday school or something. He could have fixed the problem, except he didn't quite know what he thought he did.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
INFERNAL Affairs, eh? The date of the crime was back in July, the 26th. Forget the idea of a prompt apology, prompt went away with July. August past with no noticeable "I'm sorry." What seems apparent is the internal affairs isn't moving with any haste. Leads the normal citizen to conclude its main function is to whitewash the incident and let the furor cool down before doing nothing. Do you trust government? Still?

It seems fairly simple to us simple minded. The guy was/is a jerk. He pretty much does as he pleases, and no one had best get in his way. Yes, since the internal affairs dept is with their thumb where the sun don't shine, the girl and hospital just needs to file a nice lawsuit against everyone in sight in those photos. Shouldn't be too hard to find willing counsel. I'd suggest a modest amount like $100 million.

Not to expect to receive it, but to catch their attention. Sure, settle out of court, with the first demand be they fire the detective.

He's the reason police don't have more friends. The next time someone asks why people don't like police, show the video. Every cop in America should be up in arms over those events. Bad cops tarnish the good ones.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Shouldn't be too hard to find willing counsel.

I was surprised to read the last name of her attorney. There is another attorney all officers around here are familiar with. I wonder how long it will be until he gets involved.

quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
If she followed the "advice" he gave, there would be countless legal ramifications.

Starting with she would have lost her job, probably her nursing license, and opened herself up to civil and possibly criminal liability. He said "there are civil remedies." Uh huh.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the patient SLPD wanted to get a blood sample from was a reserve police officer from Idaho. The Tribune said he was the victim in the case they were investigating. I'm guessing had he been conscious, he likely would have given them the sample.

So the unconscious patient was a victim, right?

So why would some badge toting moron demand to get a blood sample from the VICTIM?

Screening process for hiring cops in that jurisdiction must be non-existent.

Because that's how LEO is rolling nowadays. I think the pendulum has swung a little too far in the way of over-protecting "Johnny Law". There are a lot of cops out there that do shady shit every day, they just haven't been called on it. They are a group that gets a free pass most of the time because of who they are and what they do, but they are not immune from the same rot that affects the rest of humanity. We've seen an abundance of threads lately where an overzealous cop has gone full Smile "douchebadge" Cool ! I don't see the issue correcting itself anytime soon either as long as the individuals are not held personally/financially responsible.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Assuming this is one of the major trauma centers in SLC, they might want to be careful how far the swing their dicks around the E.D. Not that any medical personnel would refuse to care for them, but E.D.'s are busy places. Y'no?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
My wife is an ER nurse, has been for 30 years.

The police here, state, city & county have always had her back in a small hospital with no security of their own.

I just can't imagine something like that happening here.

Like others have said, why would a clown like this make cops already hard job even harder with stupid shit like this.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
She should have given Officer Combover a needle and tube - "Draw it yourself, asshole".

He is a certified phlebotomist. Giving him a needle and tube would be illegal and unethical.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
What about the SLPD supervisor who lectured her while she was in the police car? He was a real condescending know it all, and talked down to her like she was a little kid in sunday school or something. He could have fixed the problem, except he didn't quite know what he thought he did.

And he was DEAD WRONG in everything he said. He was attempting to coerce her into violating the law.

In short, he is a second DOUCHEBADGE.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
So first, the video looked terrible and my first instinct was outrage at that treatment.

A few questions though if I may.....

I think there is some confusion over several aspects here. Was the officer ordering her to take a blood sample and turn it over? Or was the officer going to take the sample himself and the nurse told him no, because of hospital policy? In the article it sounded like the officer was part of some special blood draw unit, hence the reason for the question. I also wonder about legality and liability in this case and similar ones. Can a hospital be legally forced to do anything?

Either way, I can see how it would need to be ironed out at a higher level. Sounded from the video like this isn't the first bumping of heads at that hospital over the issue.

Now all of that said, the officer appeared to go overboard physically and lose control of his emotions. He did look angry. Throwing cuffs on a nurse and dragging them out of the ER will rarely work out well for an officer.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
My wife is an ER nurse, has been for 30 years.

The police here, state, city & county have always had her back in a small hospital with no security of their own.

I just can't imagine something like that happening here.

Like others have said, why would a clown like this make cops already hard job even harder with stupid shit like this.

GGF

I have worked in small and large communities. Never have I seen anything like that. Next time he comes into the ER, they are liable to do a procto exam on him to ensure there are not internal injuries.

posted Hide Post
Most ER docs I've met have a low BS tolerance. You come into their realm and act like an asshole, you will get treated as such.

If the guy in the white shirt as a Doc, he needed to step up.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
SLCPD is a shit show. They don't play well with other agencies. Their dispatch system sucks and is run by the mayors office and not the PD or Fire. They admin folks have a long history of sexual harassment and protecting their own ivory tower asses. The SLC Politicians have their fingers so deep in the PD their cops can taste the freshly applied fingernail polish from their gay liberal mayor. These guys get their marching orders from the top. I suspect this detective was out of his element. Likely has been sitting in some easy specialty for the last ten or so years and having little to do with actual law enforcement. writing a warrant for a blood draw is boiler plate. There is literally a template you just have to fill in a couple of spaces and its done. Takes about 15 minutes. I'm still not sure why he needed the blood. He wasn't the suspect but a victim. The hospital takes blood with their own labs. A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

I saw a comment somewhere else referencing the reason they needed the blood test. SLC police had chased a suspect who crashed into the reserve officer in an intersection. The poster was stating that this was a witch hunt to lessen their liability in the crash trying to show the victim who is burned badly was drunk/drugged driving.

I have no idea if this is factual or just fake news.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope SLC has lots of money.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
During the recording you can hear another officer Suggest getting a warrant:

"So why don’t we just write a search warrant,” the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.

“They don’t have PC,” Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn’t allow him to draw blood. “I’ve never gone this far,” he says.
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.babc4644e589

The lawyer for the nurse disagreed:

"Porter, however, said “implied consent” has not been the law in Utah since 2007, and the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2016 that the Constitution permits warrantless breath tests in drunken-driving arrests, but not warrantless blood tests. She stressed that the patient was always considered the victim in the case and never was suspected of wrongdoing."
http://www.sltrib.com/news/201...-unconscious-victim/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I wonder if the City Atty is in damage control mode now.

To gw3971. Thank you for your work. I have a family member who works in the EMT/ER/paramedic/ambulance field, works closely with law enforcement. Things can really get bizarre at times.

And hopefully a year from now I will move out of CA and back to the US Smile (ie, somewhere along the Wasatch Front).

Thanks scout! We will make room for you on the wasatch front!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
SLCPD is a shit show. They don't play well with other agencies. Their dispatch system sucks and is run by the mayors office and not the PD or Fire. They admin folks have a long history of sexual harassment and protecting their own ivory tower asses. The SLC Politicians have their fingers so deep in the PD their cops can taste the freshly applied fingernail polish from their gay liberal mayor. These guys get their marching orders from the top. I suspect this detective was out of his element. Likely has been sitting in some easy specialty for the last ten or so years and having little to do with actual law enforcement. writing a warrant for a blood draw is boiler plate. There is literally a template you just have to fill in a couple of spaces and its done. Takes about 15 minutes. I'm still not sure why he needed the blood. He wasn't the suspect but a victim. The hospital takes blood with their own labs. A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

I saw a comment somewhere else referencing the reason they needed the blood test. SLC police had chased a suspect who crashed into the reserve officer in an intersection. The poster was stating that this was a witch hunt to lessen their liability in the crash trying to show the victim who is burned badly was drunk/drugged driving.

I have no idea if this is factual or just fake news.

I don't believe SLC was chasing the suspect in this case. They have a very restrictive pursuit policy. I think it was another agency chasing the suspect in Logan canyon. I believe the other agency asked SLC to assist them with getting the blood for this accident while they were tied up on the accident. SLC caused this cluster fuck and it wasn't even their problem in the first place.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post