SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
"Payne has been suspended from blood-draw duties but remains in his role as a detective in the investigations unit"

This is idiotic. He didn't screw up a blood draw, he screwed up the law and abused his power. How in the hell can he still be working as a deputy?who cares that he is suspended from drawing blood?

He should be suspended without pay pending those two investigations. And praying the nurse does not pursue assault charges or civil penalties.
or false arrest charges.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
How did this disturbance affect patient care in the burn unit? It looked like several doctors and probably other nurses were involved and walked outside.

I have read a number of news articles where people were flown into that unit and placed in intensive care. I do not know if that means one to one nursing care, but I cannot imagine they are generally over staffed.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
the arresting officer has been placed on full administrative leave while an investigation is conducted.

Which I'm assuming means he's still getting paid? Bullshit through and through.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

The solution is to cut funding of the police the amount of the settlement. That way the department feels the pain and will hopefully make changes.

Might want to think that one thru.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The pain the department needs to feel is the loss of the offenders boss and the chief if they don't act.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Here's a longer video, approx. 20 minutes. After watching it I have even more disdain for the supervisor than I do the arresting officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...nue=14&v=hJPVglqR4yM

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. After watching it I have even more disdain for the supervisor than I do the arresting officer.

+1 The supervisor was flat out lying to the nurse, or even worse he did not know what he was doing.

Actually I would say that the supervisor has the entire responsibility for this affair. I posit that it happened by his direction, he could have put a stop to it at any time and he did not.

His head should be on the chopping block along with that of the arresting officer.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The SLPD has said on twitter two employees have now been suspended. The Deseret News reported the second officer is the Lt. seen "exchanging sharp words" with the nurse while she was in the car.

http://www.deseretnews.com/art...r-nurses-arrest.html

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
After watching the longer video, I think the SLCPD has more problems than just one rogue officer with an attitude. Listening to the supervisor try and coerce the nurse, there's some serious problems with the department's culture that need to be addressed.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm usually pro cop but this one makes my blood boil almost beyond words. I really hope some people from that sleazy dept end up out of a job.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
An extraordinary level of courage to manhandle a Charge R.N.. To serve and protect?

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

The solution is to cut funding of the police the amount of the settlement. That way the department feels the pain and will hopefully make changes.

Might want to think that one thru.

GW3971 said their department is managed through the Mayor's office. If that is the case, let the City bear the burden. Things are bad enough as they are with funding to take it from the department.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If she files a suit and prevails, of course it's taxpayer money until the self-insured money limit is met her, the mayor should feel the heat and the first rule of political like is to retain power and win re-election. The mayor doesn't care much about the city paying a settlement as much as it affecting his chances at the next election.

Posts: 4081 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
So we're talking about suspensions, possible loss of jobs, etc. The way I see it, it's much worse than that.

False arrest was mentioned earlier, but I don't know if this qualifies. Usually false arrest applies when an officer bumblefucks the law in some way. For instance, officer legally searches someone, finds a knife that they think is an illegal weapon and arrests the individual only to find out that the knife was to small and of the wrong type to constitute a weapon.

In this case with the nurse the officer admits to not having pc, and therefore cannot legally obtain a warrant. He is basically admitting on tape that he wants the nurse to provide him with with something he cannot legally obtain himself.

It's gonna be a hard sell to convince anyone that he actually believed that someone not agreeing to collect a blood sample illegally constituted interfering with an investigation or obstruction of justice.

So what did this guy and his supervisor actually commit? They took her away by force, against her will, without any evidence of a crime. Isn't that abduction? If it's not, it damn well should be.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/1Da7T6JHSV8

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Agree. Bad pinch. And not only is it bad, the Cop had to know it would go viral. When will Cops figure out that everyone is video equipped these days? And I NEVER attempted to get a blood sample for another agency. For someone who is not a suspect or arrestee? Can you say "Chain of Custody" problem? If this other agency wanted a blood draw, they should have sent one of their own to get it. And if the hospital staff would have refused me anything, I would asked my prosecutor for a subpoena for the records I needed. All ERs routinely check for blood alcohol levels since that info is needed for proper treatment.
There was more than one way to skin this cat without all this insanity.

This. A lot of cops don't understand that everyone has a cell phone camera and they can't wait to shoot video and post it on social media. If this incident had occurred 15 - 20 years ago nobody would have heard about it.

Posts: 245 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I don't understand why all of the other policemen that were there , just stood around and watched the show....

Didn't someone think that this was a bad idea ???

I'm not going to be too hard on the other officers standing around. Those guys are nothing more than campus security. They are so micromanaged they can't think for themselves and their admin is run by the super liberal elite at the University. I was pretty impressed they said anything anything at all and tried to persuade fireball to calm the fuck down. The most important thing said was said by the other SLC officer who asked why he didn't get a warrant. Det Payne answered that he couldn't get a warrant since they had no PC. That says a ton about the mind set of Det. Payne. He is trying to force a nurse to do something he knows he can't get a warrant for. He is screwed. I expected SLC to push him under the bus. I'm surprised that they suspended the LT. SLC has a habit of protecting the powers that be.

http://archive.sltrib.com/arti...=2546232&itype=CMSID

Three Salt Lake City police officers who claim they were sexually harassed by a deputy chief and subjected to retaliation say they plan to file suit against the city over their treatment.

In a notice of claim filed with the city, the three women say they were dissuaded from promptly complaining about Rick Findlay because he occupied a position of authority over them and, as deputy chief in charge of Internal Affairs, their complaints would be screened by him.

And when they did complain, the claim says, the women's concerns were not handled "in the ordinary course of such complaints" and the investigation was delayed until Findlay could retire last year.

The women's attorney, Ed Brass, confirmed Saturday that the time for the city to respond to the notice has expired and the women intend to sue. The notice points out that the sexual harassment claim by the three — Officer Tiffany Commagere, Sgt. Robin Heiden and former Lt. Melody Gray — had been sustained by the city's Department of Human Resources.

Findlay was put on leave in November 2013 while allegations were investigated that he shared a "sexually suggestive" image of a naked woman, who he said was one of the officers, as well as an image of the two other female officers in bikinis, according to documents obtained last year by The Tribune through a records request.

In the notice of claim, Gray said Findlay took her phone without her permission and transferred photos on it to himself. She said one of the pictures was of her and Heiden in bikinis.

"Over the course of the next two years, without her permission and without her knowledge, Deputy Chief Findlay showed the photographs of Lt. Gray to numerous people," the notice of claim says. "This caused her great embarrassment and diminished her reputation and her effectiveness as an officer in command position."

Gray, who was with the department for 18 years, resigned in August 2012 after Findlay began a disciplinary proceeding against her and she complained directly to Chief Chris Burbank about being harassed. However, Findlay was not properly disciplined, the notice of claim says.

The notice of claim says that in addition to showing the photo of Heiden without her permission, Findlay also falsely claimed to have had some sort of personal relationship with her. Findlay attempted to pursue a relationship but was rejected, according to the notice of claim.

During this same time, Findlay sat on board that decided whether Heiden would be promoted to lieutenant, the notice of claim says. It says his behavior damaged Heiden's reputation and prevented her from advancing to higher paying positions.

Findlay also claimed to have shown to various people a nude photo purportedly of Commagere, who states "unequivocally" in the notice of claim that such a photo does not exist. It says that after Commagere complained to Internal Affairs, her assignment in the police department was changed in retaliation.

The Salt Lake City Civilian Review Board found in December 2013 that Findlay had violated the city's sexual harassment policy and committed conduct unbecoming of an officer. Another review, by the city's human resources department, made the same findings.

In a disciplinary letter to Findlay dated June 4, 2014, Burbank concluded the allegations had been sustained but said "your conduct did not rise to the level of termination." The deputy chief resigned that month.

City records show Findlay started at the police department June 1, 1994. Utah police officers who started during that era become eligible for a number of retirement benefits after 20 years of employment. Had Findlay been terminated or left Salt Lake City police prior to June 2014, he would not have gotten those benefits.

Gray told The Tribune on Saturday that it was frustrating that Findlay was not put on leave until long after the complaints were made and was allowed to continue on leave for months after the investigation was complete until his retirement. She and the other two women were in a bad position because the police department, rather than an outside agency, was investigating their complaints, according to Gray.

"There was no protection for us," she said. "It felt more like Findlay was being protected."

Gray pointed out that an outside agency investigates even minor traffic accidents involving police officers. She said she hopes a lawsuit will lead to the same process being used for complaints such as hers.

"The big thing for us is the inequity that existed," Gray said, "and that's what we're trying to correct."
pmanson@sltrib.com

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
A swing... and a miss...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
For the uninitiated: the law in this state allows blood draws on unconscious subjects when they are (aware or not) that they are under arrest for DUI. Nurses, under the law, medical personnel are exempt from liability when conducting blood draws which are required from the state. We've seen a lack of cooperation from ER staff from time to time, but have never resorted to this kind of silliness. That doesn't serve anyone well. I'm not sure what happened here, but it was handled incorrectly to the nth degree.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:

ROFL! "This is an ever evolving [sic] situation..." Yeah, it's ever-evolving, all right. It's evolving into a national disgrace because neither the PD nor the city's administration DTRT in the first place.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post