SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
From another article. Apparently this is on his body camera footage.

quote:
http://www.deseretnews.com

< snip >

Porter [Wubbels' attorney] said what is just as disturbing are comments caught on Payne's body camera video while he was talking to another officer. Payne can be heard talking about his other job as an ambulance driver, and how Wubbels' arrest might affect that.

"I’ll bring 'em all the transients and take the good patients elsewhere," he is heard saying about the hospital.

"Even if he’s joking, this is not funny," Porter said. "I mean, there are so many things wrong with that statement I can’t even begin.

< snip >

Payne should have his EMS credentials taken, in addition to his badge, pension, and assets,

Make him a transient.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Since the accident involved a fatality, the victim (truck driver) would be required to submit to drug testing by DOT regulations. This is not in the purview of the local police unless the driver was suspected of DWI/DUI (where protocol was outlined by the nurse). Perhaps that's where the confusion began.

This is my understanding of the DOT regs as well and applies even when the driver is not at fault. What I'm not sure of is who is responsible for obtaining that sample and if there is some sort of an automatic legal request that should have been provided the hospital.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
quote:
SLCPD is a shit show. They don't play well with other agencies. Their dispatch system sucks and is run by the mayors office and not the PD or Fire. They admin folks have a long history of sexual harassment and protecting their own ivory tower asses. The SLC Politicians have their fingers so deep in the PD their cops can taste the freshly applied fingernail polish from their gay liberal mayor. These guys get their marching orders from the top. I suspect this detective was out of his element. Likely has been sitting in some easy specialty for the last ten or so years and having little to do with actual law enforcement. writing a warrant for a blood draw is boiler plate. There is literally a template you just have to fill in a couple of spaces and its done. Takes about 15 minutes. I'm still not sure why he needed the blood. He wasn't the suspect but a victim. The hospital takes blood with their own labs. A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

I saw a comment somewhere else referencing the reason they needed the blood test. SLC police had chased a suspect who crashed into the reserve officer in an intersection. The poster was stating that this was a witch hunt to lessen their liability in the crash trying to show the victim who is burned badly was drunk/drugged driving.

I have no idea if this is factual or just fake news.

I don't believe SLC was chasing the suspect in this case. They have a very restrictive pursuit policy. I think it was another agency chasing the suspect in Logan canyon. I believe the other agency asked SLC to assist them with getting the blood for this accident while they were tied up on the accident. SLC caused this cluster fuck and it wasn't even their problem in the first place.

Thanks for the clarification, interesting they pursued this so aggressively.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
And now for the apologies and damage control.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/201...unconscious-patient/

Salt Lake City’s mayor, police chief apologize for officer handcuffing nurse who refused blood draw of unconscious patient

By Luke Ramseth
·
2 hours ago
Salt Lake City’s mayor and police chief apologized Friday for an officer handcuffing a hospital nurse for refusing a blood draw from an unconscious patient.

Police Chief Mike Brown said in a statement, “I was alarmed by what I saw in the video with our officer and Ms. [Alex] Wubbles. I am sad at the rift this has caused between law-enforcement and the nurses we work so closely with. I want to be clear, we take this very seriously.”

Brown added: “We’ve looked at the actions that took place, the policies that could have prevented it,and the training that must be done. Within 24 hours of this incident, Salt Lake City Police Department took steps to ensure this will never happen again.”

Brown also said, ” ... we apologized for the incident and promised to find a solution. Additionally, our policy management team continues to work closely with the hospital staff on improved policies and training.”

Mayor Jackie Biskupski, said in a statement: “Like many of you, I watched the video of police officers interacting with University of Utah Medical Center nurse Alex Wubbles for the first time through the media late yesterday. What I saw is completely unacceptable to the values of my Administration and of the values of the Salt Lake City Police Department. I extend a personal apology to Ms. Wubbles for what she has been through for simply doing her job.”

Biskupski added: “There is currently an Internal Affairs investigation examining the actions, and the Civilian Review Board is conducting a parallel investigation. I have reiterated to Chief Brown that I expect the highest level of professionalism and integrity from his team. I have also instructed Chief Brown to conduct a thorough review of all policies and trainings to ensure respect for all individuals, in all situations.Following the incident Salt Lake City Police Department command met with hospital administration. We immediately changed policies that may have been a factor in this encounter, and the officer’s duties have been modified.
Meanwhile, Gov. Gary Herbert tweeted Friday morning that Alex Wubbels’ arrest was ”disturbing,” and that the city’s police should ”rectify the situation.”

Police spokeswoman Christina Judd said the agency had initiated an internal investigation within hours of the July 26 encounter between Detective Jeff Payne and University Hospital burn unit nurse Alex Wobbles that was caught on the officer’s body camera, the Associated Press reported.

Payne has been suspended from blood-draw duties but remains in his role as a detective in the investigations unit.

Judd said the assistant chief has apologized to the hospital and that the department is alarmed by what they saw in the video, the AP reported.

The episode became public on Thursday when Wobbles and her attorney, Kara Porter, held a news conference and released police body cam footage.

Prior to being arrested, Wobbles had explained to Payne that hospital policy does not allow blood draws from unconscious patients.

Payne was seeking, on behalf of Logan police, a blood sample from a burned and unconscious patient who had been involved in a July 26 collision in northern Utah that left another driver dead.

The video footage shows Wubbels explaining that blood cannot be taken from an unconscious patient unless the patient is under arrest, unless there is a warrant allowing the draw or unless the patient consents. Payne acknowledges in the footage that none of those requirements is in place, but he insists that he has the authority to obtain the draw, according to the footage.
Sen. Todd Weiler, who is the chair of the Senate’s judiciary committee, commended city officials’ response in a Friday tweet, but said he was “deeply concerned” that the detective has not been suspended from duty.

“I will continue to stand against any form of unnecessary police brutality or inappropriate behavior,” he wrote.

The video caused an uproar around social media, and multiple national news outlets picked it up Thursday. Hundreds of people angrily commented on the department’s Facebook page, many demanding Payne’s firing or suspension. Other Utah police agencies were also being mistakenly bombarded by angry social media commenters, including the Unified Police Department and South Salt Lake police.

University of Utah Health released a statement Friday morning.

“University of Utah Health fully supports Nurse Wubbels and we are proud her decision to focus first and foremost on the care and well-being of her patient,” the statement said. ”She followed procedures and protocols in this matter and was acting in her patient’s best interest. We have worked with our law enforcement partners on this issue to ensure an appropriate process for moving forward.”

The American Nurses Association also sent out a statement Friday morning, saying it was ”outraged” by the arrest. It called for the department ”make amends to the nurse, and take action to prevent future abuses.”

“It is outrageous and unacceptable that a nurse should be treated in this way for following her professional duty to advocate on behalf of the patient as well as following the policies of her employer and the law,” ANA President Pam Cipriano said in the statement.

National Nurses United also weighed in, calling the officer’s actions “outrageous.” criticized the actions of Salt Lake City police officers for assaulting and arresting a University of Utah registered nurse for advocating for an unconscious patient in late July.

“The first job of a registered nurse is always to protect and advocate for her patient, period,” said Jean Ross, RN, co-president of National Nurses United, the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses.
“As the videos and news accounts make clear, there is no excuse for this assault, or her arrest, which sends a chilling message about the safety of nurses and the rights of patients,” Ross said.

Brown ended his written statement by saying, “Salt Lake City Police Officers have a very soft spot in our hearts for all medical professionals. We know that if we are ever hurt in the line of duty, it is their caring hands that will perhaps save our lives one day.

“I believe we can learn from mistakes and from building strong relationships with everyone we work with and serve. By doing that we become a stronger police department.”

Utahns Against Police Brutality announced it was holding a protest rally at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Salt Lake City Public Safety Building, 475 S. 300 East.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Gee, remember folks, it's not the crime, it's the cover up.

Dead silence since July when it happened; Nurse Wubbles (I just had to type that!) and her lawyer hold a press conference and all of a sudden public big wigs are stumbling over each other trying to get to a microphone to be "deeply concerned" and "apologize".

Damn, Sparky! Public officials ARE predictable.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NJG75FJkjr8

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
The short-tempered cop's judgment is in serious question with me, as is the judgment of the other officers present.

Training issue? More like a judgment issue.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mayor Jackie Biskupski, said in a statement: “Like many of you, I watched the video of police officers interacting with University of Utah Medical Center nurse Alex Wubbles for the first time through the media late yesterday. What I saw is completely unacceptable to the values of my Administration and of the values of the Salt Lake City Police Department. I extend a personal apology to Ms. Wubbles for what she has been through for simply doing her job.”

Biskupski added: “There is currently an Internal Affairs investigation examining the actions, and the Civilian Review Board is conducting a parallel investigation. I have reiterated to Chief Brown that I expect the highest level of professionalism and integrity from his team. I have also instructed Chief Brown to conduct a thorough review of all policies and trainings to ensure respect for all individuals, in all situations.Following the incident Salt Lake City Police Department command met with hospital administration. We immediately changed policies that may have been a factor in this encounter, and the officer’s duties have been modified.

Roll Eyes

Typical bull response. Just a bunch of meaningless words full of hot air. How about some accountability for once from people like this? What I just read in that statement is that absolutely zero disciplinary action will be taken over this. Zero.

So obvious and typical.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
The American Nurses Association also sent out a statement Friday morning, saying it was ”outraged” by the arrest. It called for the department ”make amends to the nurse, and take action to prevent future abuses.”

“It is outrageous and unacceptable that a nurse should be treated in this way for following her professional duty to advocate on behalf of the patient as well as following the policies of her employer and the law,” ANA President Pam Cipriano said in the statement.

This is a first....I actually agree with the ANA for once!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The police chief, the mayor, the governor, a state senator are all involved? Anyone have a thrown under the bus meme?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
That Payne asshole deserves to get flattened by the bus.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And the asshole is still on duty. Mad

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. Bad pinch. And not only is it bad, the Cop had to know it would go viral. When will Cops figure out that everyone is video equipped these days? And I NEVER attempted to get a blood sample for another agency. For someone who is not a suspect or arrestee? Can you say "Chain of Custody" problem? If this other agency wanted a blood draw, they should have sent one of their own to get it. And if the hospital staff would have refused me anything, I would asked my prosecutor for a subpoena for the records I needed. All ERs routinely check for blood alcohol levels since that info is needed for proper treatment.
There was more than one way to skin this cat without all this insanity.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
SLCPD is a shit show. They don't play well with other agencies. Their dispatch system sucks and is run by the mayors office and not the PD or Fire. They admin folks have a long history of sexual harassment and protecting their own ivory tower asses. The SLC Politicians have their fingers so deep in the PD their cops can taste the freshly applied fingernail polish from their gay liberal mayor. These guys get their marching orders from the top. I suspect this detective was out of his element. Likely has been sitting in some easy specialty for the last ten or so years and having little to do with actual law enforcement. writing a warrant for a blood draw is boiler plate. There is literally a template you just have to fill in a couple of spaces and its done. Takes about 15 minutes. I'm still not sure why he needed the blood. He wasn't the suspect but a victim. The hospital takes blood with their own labs. A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

I saw a comment somewhere else referencing the reason they needed the blood test. SLC police had chased a suspect who crashed into the reserve officer in an intersection. The poster was stating that this was a witch hunt to lessen their liability in the crash trying to show the victim who is burned badly was drunk/drugged driving.

I have no idea if this is factual or just fake news.

I don't believe SLC was chasing the suspect in this case. They have a very restrictive pursuit policy. I think it was another agency chasing the suspect in Logan canyon. I believe the other agency asked SLC to assist them with getting the blood for this accident while they were tied up on the accident. SLC caused this cluster fuck and it wasn't even their problem in the first place.

Thanks for the clarification, interesting they pursued this so aggressively.

SLC didn't have dog in this fight until they put themselves in the the middle of it.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I'd imagine the police union is fighting pretty hard to keep him on the job or at least protect his pension. He's in the wrong and all, but it's not like he shot someone. He needs to be terminated or kindly escorted from the building. Or kept on the job and made to take the overnight shift as a security guard for the med center.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Can you get blood from the truck driver when you are at the hospital?"

"Can't unless there is consent, warrant or an arrest. Here's the phone number to the hospital if you want to call"

"Thanks"

End of story.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I'd imagine the police union is fighting pretty hard to keep him on the job or at least protect his pension. He's in the wrong and all, but it's not like he shot someone. He needs to be terminated or kindly escorted from the building. Or kept on the job and made to take the overnight shift as a security guard for the med center.

I imagine that would be the loneliest job on earth. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The story and video went national this morning. I saw it on Fox and Drudge websites with my morning coffee. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the apology came out shortly after. Yeah, right.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a police officer, you have to make decisions on how far you want to stick your dick into a situation.

You have to be able to see what the end result will be and pull out before you get it chopped off.