SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Should I pass out the white flags? I know it's vital that we surrender as soon as possible. No need to wait for the verdict.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
First day of the actual trial. Defense questioned the officer who was first-on-scene. Seemed to want to showplace how shocked Baldwin was immediately after the shooting.

"Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer ruled in favor of a motion brought in by the prosecution against Alec Baldwin in his involuntary manslaughter trial.

The "Rust" actor allegedly attempted to plan a vacation with his family over the phone after the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Prosecutor Kari Morrissey argued Baldwin's state of mind "directly contradicts" what was previously presented to the court."

Fox News

So much for Baldwin being shocked. Why let manslaughter ruin your vacation plans?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In other trial-of-the-year news, New Mexico prosecutors plan to call “Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed to the stand Friday. There had been much speculation whether Ms. Gutierrez-Reed would be called in.

Gutierrez-Reed's attorney said his client will not answer any questions and will plead the Fifth.

News 5 Cleveland

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a chance to watch parts of the State's case in the Baldwin trial to this juncture. They've got Baldwin dead to rights with both the legal standard and the facts being established. You can't predict how a jury will interpret things, but from my perspective the State is burying the defense right now. He also has had trouble containing his emotions, and at one point bolted out of the courtroom during the middle of a motion by the State to introduce some embarrassing character evidence against him. Baldwin looks like he's in serious trouble.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^That would be my interpretation as well, though IANAL. It seems like the prosecution realizes how weak the defense is, grasping at straws here and there. Just keep feeding them rope until there's enough to hang him.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think it will come down to the defense claiming that while Baldwin violated rules of safe gun-handling, those rules are not laws and thus he technically committed no crimes. (They'll probably also say something about safe-handling rules only apply to the general public, and that the procedures and chains-of-responsibility work differently for a movie production company. Good luck with that!)

However, Baldwin is charged with involuntary manslaughter. So the focus of the prosecution will be that he acted with reckless endangerment. Reckless endangerment I believe is a crime only in some states (anyone know about New Mexico?), but even if not itself a crime it can be used to support another charge, in this case the involuntary manslaughter that he is charged with.

Thus the prosecution need only build a case that Baldwin repeatedly acted in a reckless manner, and there seems to be no shortage of evidence in that regard, both before and during the trial.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The jury won't buy his argument that he didn't pull the trigger. I don't see how they could arrive at a contrary conclusion.

I tend to think the jury will say, "Someone was killed and if it's not Baldwin, it certainly wasn't the armorer." If you remember, her bad conduct was not making sure that no live ammo was on the set and that the gun was full of blanks.

Baldwin is the trigger man. I just don't like the lead DA on this case and I didn't like Marcia Clark either for the way she presented the case, regardless of the verdict.

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Baldwin will be convicted not withstanding SFCO Deputy LeFleur's somewhat tortured testimony yesterday. The Prosecution is pretty good and I believe case is solid enough for a conviction.

If you have a few moments with nothing better to do, take a peek at what LEO's make in New Mexico. Santa Fe County SO, Bernalillio County SO (or even Albq. PD) or NMSP are paid a paltry amount considering the risk you take as an LEO in New Mexico.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Watch as Baldwin pulls the escape hatch as the prosecutor accuses him of lying about not pulling the trigger. Even his own attorney is shocked.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
The case is about testing the jury's conscience.
He's also gonna get a thorough fucking civily.
Bet on it.
BOHICA big boy.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Later it was said that Baldwin asked his lawyer if he could go to the bathroom and that's when he left. I wouldn't read to much into that. He was only gone a couple of minutes.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
'Hypocrite' comes from the Greek word 'hypokrites', which means "an actor."

If the shoe fits, fucker....

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Later it was said that Baldwin asked his lawyer if he could go to the bathroom and that's when he left. I wouldn't read to much into that. He was only gone a couple of minutes.

The look on his attorney's face tells me they just did some covering after the fact.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Should I pass out the white flags? I know it's vital that we surrender as soon as possible. No need to wait for the verdict.

No, I don't think there's any need to start passing out the white flags just yet. Hell, we don't even need to act like the French.

However, I think our skepticism and jadedness comes from (unfortunately) a lot of reality.
Unfortunately, there's somewhat of a "two-tiered" criminal justice system, especially when it comes to high profile cases and high profile lawyers. I'm reminded of a quote from Johnny Cochran of the OJ Defense team: "It's about who puts on the best show". And let's face it, Ole' Alec and his legal team are about to put on the best show of his life. Why? Well, because his life (and hopefully his rectal integrity) depend upon it. You know, I know, and probably 99.5% of people knew that OJ brutally murdered Nicole. In the end, what happened?

As much as we, a bunch of conscientious gun owners and enthusiasts who know rudimentary things such as "Gun Safety" (Treat all guns as if they are loaded, don't point the gun at anything you don't wish to destroy...), and WE believe that Baldwin SHOULD be hit with a 1st Degree Murder charge. However, the State won't be firing up old sparky over this one. Life? Out of the question. Pick any 12 of us on your Forum and put us on the Jury? Yeah, not looking good for Alec, but all the Jury's part is - Did Alec do it or not? And does that action fit the charges he was accused of? Sentencing is up to someone else.

At the least- 20ish years in General Population in a State Pen on Involuntary Manslaughter / 2nd Degree Murder? Sure, all for it! Let Alec worry about his ass (meant in the figurative and literal sense) for the next 20 years. Dependent upon the Judge and District Attorney, how Liberal or Conservative they actually are and "Political Pressure / Outside Influences"- Plea it down to "Reckless Conduct" (or whatever "similar charge") is a possibility as well. State seeking the minimum (or just over the minimum) sentencing? Another strong possibility.

I'm not being a defeatist, giving up, throwing in the towel... but the reality of some of these higher profile cases SUCKS!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, humor me and let's wait for the verdict.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As Parabellum has stated, we’ve already won the victory where the gas bag will forever have no credibility with anti gun influence. He’s clearly suffering emotionally which gratifies me for all of years of aggravation he’s dealt. All there is left is justice for his victims. I want to see that too. But what’s the value in nail biting? Sure we’ve been disappointed before and have seen our justice system corrupted, but let’s sit back and watch this play out. Watching that wretch seething and rocking in his chair is worth the price of admission.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Alec Baldwin is his own life sentence.

He is being held accountable and no matter what he will go to his grave knowing what he has done, aware that many people condemn his actions in the moment, his behavior and actions afterward.

His mind will always be a tumultuous prison.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Prosecution...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Trial has been paused today as the judge considers a motion to dismiss the case (what a surprise). Something about ammo not being presented to the defense, in fact intentionally concealed. The jury has been sent home until Monday.

I don't understand all the focus on the ammunition. What difference does it make that you would dismiss the entire case? AB pointed an unchecked gun at someone and killed them. Simple.

Prosecutor Kari Morrissey has argued this "new evidence" should not be considered "exculpatory evidence."

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Alec Baldwin is his own life sentence….

His mind will always be a tumultuous prison.

Silly Monkey!
That’s only for people with a conscious!

He’s a true believer in that he thinks he’s innocent. Being railroaded.
It’s Guiterrez’s fault, the janitors fault, the dish washers fault…
Everyone else did it, and is Culpable except for him.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post