SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The law was served. Justice was a casualty.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got caught up with the fallout and aftermath of what happened in court today.

If you've got a potential witness claiming to have ammunition related to the shooting(whether it was true or not), and bodycam video shows the lead detective and prosecution conspiring to keep it from Brady disclosure by hiding it under a separate case number, it is going to end pretty badly for the State.

Watching Detective Hancock admit to that conspiracy under oath to the judge is something incredible. And then the lead prosecutor Morrissey then volunteering to take the witness stand, to apparently burn both Hancock and Poppel (and her career), was stunning.

They had Baldwin dead to rights on the involuntary manslaughter case. There was absolutely no need for the State to screw around with Brady production like this, especially with the case in front of them. In fact, this was probably the only type of scenario where Baldwin could have walked. And they sure as heck made it happen.

There's no conspiracy to this, it just looks like they got caught in a high profile case where there were defense resources to catch something like this.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I can see that makes (Clown World) "sense" (for her to slef immolate) was the statement Morrissey stating that she has always been a fan/fond of Baldwin, loved his SNL work, agreed with his politics and perhaps "sacrificed herself" to see him "freed".

In other words, "Liberalism is a mental disorder".

Otherwise it is a head scratcher.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44453 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Someone needs to be held responsible. If not Baldwin then someone else. Only then will justice be served.

Alec Baldwin IS responsible for Halyna Hutchins' death. Had it not been for the monumental shit-show provided by the prosecution, he would very likely have been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter under NM law. A greater injustice would have been for the judge not to dismiss the case.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Our 'justice' system just doesn't work very well. We see it all the time. This case involved actual nefarious actions by the prosecutors, but our system is generally imprecise, subjective, and politicized. I have zero confidence in our justice system and would advice anyone to stay the hell away from the system.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Someone needs to be held responsible. If not Baldwin then someone else. Only then will justice be served.

The set armorer has already been convicted of manslaughter.

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Our 'justice' system just doesn't work very well.
The system worked. The prosecutor and the police conspired to withhold evidence. The judge acted correctly.

Baldwin is still a murderer and should pay the penalty, but the prosecutor screwed up and Baldwin walks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31378 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Our 'justice' system just doesn't work very well.
The system worked. The prosecutor and the police conspired to withhold evidence. The judge acted correctly.

Baldwin is still a murderer and should pay the penalty, but the prosecutor screwed up and Baldwin walks.

True enough in this case. However, the system itself sucks and is, in fact, terrifying.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
It the system worked as you claim, Baldwin would be behind bars.

If the prosecutors and cops fucked up, then charge the prosecutors and cops with a criminal case

But don’t fuck over the family and make a laughing stock of the ‘system’ in the name of ‘justice’

Suppose Baldwin had shot the President. You really think they’d let him walk away because someone stuffed 3 bullets in the wrong envelope

Posts: 53784 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Depending on how you define "justice system", it is more or less working. If you define "justice system" to include the police and court system, it is mostly working. The goal of the "justice system" is to catch bad guys and punish them appropriately through appropriate means.

The police have to catch the bad guys, and they have to do so following rules governed by our constitution and courts. The goal is not just to punish bad people, but to do so in a proper way. The court system is biased toward an abundance of protection for the accused. That means that some guilty guys go free, while we reduce the risk of innocent guys going to prison.

I don't think that many of us want to allow the police to trample on our constitutional rights for the goal of punishing more guilty people.

I saw Alan Dershowitz speak once, and I'm going to freely paraphrase. When asked how he can in good conscience help guilty people go free, he replies that he doesn't see his job as to get guilty people off. He sees his job as insuring that the police and the courts convict people properly, ie by following the rules.

As others have said, none of us should want the police and prosecutors to violate our constitutional rights, conspire to hide evidence, etc. They fucked up. The system worked, because when the cops and prosecutors fuck up there are consequences. And there should be. Stupid should hurt.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4179 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What the founders established, works.

The way people are manipulating it, is the problem, not the device.

People elect Sheriffs, most Judges, and have a voice with their vote.

How many actually know who the Judges are on the ballots and others besides a major candidate?

People are flawed. People fucked this up, from the actions leading up to the killing of Halyna Hutchins and injury to Joel Souza to every wrong step since.

And contrary to what anyone might think, Baldwin will be eaten by his selfish conscience. It will not leave even himself alone in the aftermath.

A woman died by his hand, no way around it. He knows it, and he will always wonder with anyone he ever interacts with, if they are looking at the blood on his hand.

Justice was served, even if we don't like the presentation.

I said in the very beginning of this, that I wanted Baldwin tried fairly, (because that is what we are defined as a people in this nation) and I believe the outcome, given the abominable actions taken by LE and the Prosecution, is just and fair decision by the judge.

Had the case continued to conviction and then overturned on appeal, the harm to the families of Halyna Hutchins and insult to Mr. Souza would be very wrong.

But Mr. Baldwin is forever a pariah. He won nothing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44453 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Ol' Alec has gone from 'the guy accused of murder' to 'the guy that got away with murder'.

Forget the legal finding, that's now boring history. The wine ladies and the money men will decide on his future.

Posts: 6502 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
People are the weak points in most systems.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If corruption and abuse are weak points in a system, is it really a good system? Academically vs pragmatically....

I guess any system is corruptible so there is no perfect system except academically?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13081 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If corruption and abuse are weak points in a system, is it really a good system? Academically vs pragmatically....

I guess any system is corruptible so there is no perfect system except academically?

correct, try and find a better one

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Anyone who believes this was the first incidence of a miscarriage of justice due to incompetence, if not corruption, really should pay more attention to history and what goes on in the world even today.

If we expect, or even want a flawless justice system, just wait until our AI overlords are in charge, and all such travesties will be a thing of the past. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47677 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

People are flawed...

“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other”. John Adams

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
“Our 'justice' system just doesn't work very well.“

We don’t have a “justice” system. We have a Legal System. It rarely involves “Justice”.
Legal outcomes can vary greatly on whether “justice” was served.
Sadly, most times, it seems like expediency is more important…and it hurts my heart.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3869 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

People are flawed...

“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other”. John Adams

yep