SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 95
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

So, no matter what the reason, we want him to be crushed and finally silenced, for any reason. Therefore, we might forget the act which has finally brought him to the place he now finds himself, and that what he did was horrible.

I don’t believe that he will be silenced, even if he is convicted and serves time. He’s a Hollywood insider and liberal darling, and I do not believe that much of Hollywood would shun him. Also, I think many in Hollywood are sympathetic to his plight. The hypocrisy of being anti-gun and using guns in their movies aside, they are mostly ignorant about guns and probably can not distinguish between a replica and a “prop”. They’re all props to them.

I have very little sympathy for Baldwin, but I do have some, and I don’t think this case is a slam dunk. I can see reasonable doubt. I haven’t followed closely enough to know what was covered in the safety briefings that he apparently ignored, but are actors generally taught to check to make sure a gun is empty and safe? Do they teach actors to aim away from people when firing blanks? If you’re expecting to fire a blank and there’s a live round in the chamber, how are you supposed to know that? The gun isn’t empty at that point.

I am no fan of Baldwin and wouldn’t lose any sleep if he’s incarcerated. But I do question the applicability of standard firearm safety rules and procedures on a movie set.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I don’t believe that he will be silenced, even if he is convicted and serves time. He’s a Hollywood insider and liberal darling, and I do not believe that much of Hollywood would shun him. Also, I think many in Hollywood are sympathetic to his plight. The hypocrisy of being anti-gun and using guns in their movies aside, they are mostly ignorant about guns and probably can not distinguish between a replica and a “prop”. They’re all props to them.
Man, I swear. Roll Eyes

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Am I being dense today? What did I miss?

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am no fan of Baldwin and wouldn’t lose any sleep if he’s incarcerated. But I do question the applicability of standard firearm safety rules and procedures on a movie set.

Well, since people have died because standard firearm safety rules weren't applied, I'm going to say they should be.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shit on someone else's post. Your comment is part of the "We can't win even if we win" cancer and it is beyond tiresome.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Shit on someone else's post. Your comment is part of the "We can't win even if we win" cancer and it is beyond tiresome.

I’m sorry. That was not my intention and I didn’t mean it that way. That is certainly not my attitude. It was just meant as a technical analysis of the situation, but I can see how it appeared that way to you. Again, my apologies.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I do question the applicability of standard firearm safety rules and procedures on a movie set.

One's duty of responsibility does end on the movie set. This wasn't a sanctioned boxing match or sporting event where the participants assume a certain level of risk. I struggle to envision an outcome where AB is exonerated, especially given the fact the armorer was found guilty. I predict Baldwin will also be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter under NM law.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that he'll be found guilty, and I hope that during the sentencing the judge tells him to his face that he is dumb as a post and cannot be trusted with a sharp stick... because it's true. It was Baldwin's arrogance and his stupidity that resulted in him killing that woman, and stupid should hurt.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2105 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Supposedly ABs defense just scored a pre-trial victory, with the judge barring prosecutors from contending that Baldwin, in his status as a producer of the film, created a reckless environment that led to the tragedy. Or something like that.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how this is even a significant point much less a major win for the defense.

Alec Baldwin 'Rust' trial: Judge makes major ruling in actor's favor

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The issue with ruling is it removes the premise that Baldwin as the Producer was overall responsible. His defense strategy maybe to put the negligence on a third party culprit, the armorer. This ruling removes an avenue for the prosecution that Baldwin was the master and he would be responsible for the negligence of his servants.

Posts: 2837 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
We've already won. Guilty verdict or innocent verdict, old alec has suffered tremendously ever since the shooting. He is mercilessly hounded in public. I cannot imagine the stress he's experienced over fear of going to prison. The money he has spent in his defense is gone forever. He may even realize that he is not really that special, after all.

Now, I am hoping for a guilty verdict, which would be the icing on the cake. Regardless, alec is spoiled goods. He cannot comment on ANY anti gun nonsense without being dog piled by those who would point out his hypocrisy. I imagine movie roles have dried up, too (unless somebody tries to make Boss Baby III).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's right, and if he dares open up his mouth about guns, gun rights, the Second Amendment or especially firearms safety, he will be laughed off of the planet, and he knows it. In effect, he has been silenced on the issue of private ownership of firearms.

He committed homicide with a handgun. It doesn't matter if his expensive lawyers manage to finagle an acquittal; he killed an innocent person, took her away from her husband and child and friends and there's no changing that, ever. Until the end of his days, his careless act will follow him and we will never allow him to forget it.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The jury chamber was fully-loaded today at 12+4 (alternates).

"Prosecutors asked prospective jurors a series of uniform questions, including whether any of them owned a firearm, held a concealed carry permit or worked in the film industry. The trial is scheduled to last around 10 days."

Arguments should begin tomorrow.

nbc news

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
If he is acquitted he will simply be "White O.J." for the rest of his life.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
First day of the actual trial. Defense questioned the officer who was first-on-scene. Seemed to want to showplace how shocked Baldwin was immediately after the shooting.

A second witness was questioned on how carefully he handled the revolver after the shooting. I don't know why they're putting so much focus on the weapon itself, like they could somehow deconstruct Exhibit A. It's who was handling the weapon, and how.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:A second witness was questioned on how carefully he handled the revolver after the shooting.

Well no shit, anyone who handle it with kid gloves if it had just been fired at another person.

Posts: 5905 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's well worth watching on Court TV. Apparently it's recorded so you should be able watch the entire recording whenever tonight. To say it's enlightening regarding the incident, the response and the responders is an understatement but I'm only half way through it.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ag111ga
posted Hide Post
I rarely comment on such cases but I've been watching the trial and it is a disaster. The inkompetentes of the police officers/investigators/prosecutors, so far is mind blowing. If this continues, his gonna walk and rightly so. They are useless, I wouldn't convict him for j- walking with those witnesses. It' infuriating because we all know he did it. It took them almost 3 years to butcher an open and shut case. I still hope things will get better for the prosecution but I seriously doubt that.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Posts: 246 | Location: Denmark | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That’s sad news. For the victims family and for all of us.

Sounds like they got advice from the OJ Simpson team

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I listened to a part of it yesterday and I was underwhelmed with the prosecution's case, especially when they were covering the body cam footage of the officer. It seemed, at times, that the prosecutor was treating him like a hostile witness.

The armorer did a horrible job. Just incompetent as can be.

I was at a prop house in LA that supplies guns and ammo to almost all the large movies and TV shows and the Rust case was discussed. They would only say that none of their guns were involved and they had no other involvement with the movie in any capacity.

And then I got to see their ammo they use on set. There is no mistaking their ammo for live ammo. Their ammo has BBs or similar inside where the powder would be so it makes a noise when you pick up a round. The primers are machined and then inserted. They don't look like primers.

Baldwin may walk, not on the merits, but through a bad DA who may never have put on a case like this before. She seems to have no mastery of anything but was instead stumbling.

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post