SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 84
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
As others have said it’s very sad that she died and I hope the other injuries heal quickly.

However where it comes down to Baldwin, he alone picked up the gun, pointed it and pulled the trigger.

He owns that billet and the damage it caused. And I hope it trashes him into obscurity. C Luke the have happened to a nicer guy. And interestingly enough how many of his peers are coming to his defense?

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
To work on film set here in New Mexico, you need to join the union.
To join this movie union, you need recommendations from two union members . Experience isn't really needed .

I think it's all on Baldwin, he should have checked the gun and the ammo.
A quick visual of the blanks . If blanks with a crimped end are being used it would be easy to verify. Especially if the reports of previous negligent discharges are true.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For clarification - did the script call for Baldwin to shoot these two people or was he screwing around, pointing the gun at them, and pulled the trigger?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Truly amazing who and how many will feel the wheels of the justice bus thump over them! Not nice to offend the money folks! Hypocrites in Hollyweird, who would have thunk!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hannah Gutierrez Reed, 24, daughter of prominent Hollywood armorer Thell Reed, was head armorer on set in Santa Fe where Baldwin fired a prop gun loaded with a live round, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

Lots of conjecture in the thread and across the innerweb about the who, what and how... No facts, no data yet, it remains to be seen how it all came to fruition...

Just a guess, in the end she will be sacrificed, ends up being assigned the blame, and maybe that's true, and maybe it isn't, but truth rarely matters in these cases. Hell she's already been blamed in this thread with zero facts presented, only conjecture and speculation by "film crew staff", the same staff supposedly shooting that gun off set, again, conjecture.

No A lister like Baldwin will ever see the inside of a jail, courtroom or charge of anything, nor will any of the others on the set.

Since she's young, new, and expendable, they will make her life miserable, she'll never work in film again regardless of the facts, regardless of all the potential errors, if some of the comments here are true, that's already started.

100% of the witnesses are rarely 100% accurate in real life, we'll see how well the film crew and hollywood comes together in order to absolve and protect baldwin..

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
For some reason I just assumed this movie was to be some unserious, western comedy. "Unforgiven"? Not likely, Alec. At least not as far as the movie script goes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Front venting vs. top venting

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
For clarification - did the script call for Baldwin to shoot these two people or was he screwing around, pointing the gun at them, and pulled the trigger?

I doubt the script called for him to shoot the director and other person. The question is whether the script or the direction he was given called for him to point the gun toward where they were and pull the trigger.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
Its all on Baldwin. Not only did he fire the bullet, but he's the producer. It seems that his attempt to save a few bucks resulted in hiring unqualified people. Its his fault entirely.

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Baldwin is one of the producers, but not the producer. From IMDB:

Alec Baldwin - producer
Kc Brandenstein - co-producer
Allen Cheney - executive producer
Matt DelPiano - producer
Tyler Gould - executive producer
Matthew Helderman - executive producer
Nathan Klingher - producer
Anjul Nigam - producer
Emily Hunter Salveson - executive producer
Ryan Donnell Smith - producer
Luke Taylor - executive producer
Ryan Winterstern - producer

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Apparently, Baldwin’s stunt double fired off two live rounds.
Ok, maybe someone can explain to me why live ammo would be used on a movie set like this. That in and of itself seems a complete failure of proper control and procedure.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yea you guys keep skipping the question. I keep hearing that some guns can’t be “copied” so only a real gun can be used. That’s just plain nonsense. I literally have watched movies with spaceships, aliens, ray guns, trains, cars, boats, etc that are fakes. Anything can be copied. So the question again is why even have ANY real guns on set? All of this of course ignores that the gun in question, a Colt SAA or clone, is probably the easiest gun in the world to make nonfunctional for live ammo.

Hollywood must have a couple hundred if not more of this exact gun that is made in rubber or has been modded to only fire blanks.

I can’t think of a single valid reason a live ammo capable firing gun would ever make it on set. You know how I can prove I’m right? There won’t be anymore. This industry just got a very belated and very visible wake up call. This shooting by an A list actor isn’t the same as Hexum or even Lee. This is Tom Cruise level visibility. The fact they allowed guns and live ammo on sets will become a thing of the past even though it should have never been a thing in the first place.

Typical Hollywood elite hubris.

They were cutting corners. Props are rented. Insured. I suspect in this case they had “a guy” willing to supply the pistol for a flat (cheap) rate. It’s easy money for him and the gun would have sat in a drawer.

I was on a music video one (low budget), they wanted a snake. I’d assume back then, a snake wrangler was 600 a day, plus we were outside the TMZ (Thirty Mile Zone) of L.A., so there would have been additional travel costs.

The answer? The producer sent a P.A. to the pet store to buy a snake. Set it loose after shoot. All to save a few bucks.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Ok, maybe someone can explain to me why live ammo would be used on a movie set like this. That in and of itself seems a complete failure of proper control and procedure.

There are reports that one of the "prop guns" was being used for target practice in the off hours. So that would mean there was live ammo in the area along with blank ammo and at least one live round was allowed to be placed or remain in the gun that Baldwin fired.

The "dual use" in and of itself is a massive failure of safety protocols and implies that the armorer was complicit in allowing this, or was not in full control of the guns at all times and others had access. Either way, accident waiting to happen and the armorer should know better and compel proper protocols.

I also think it's likely Baldwin was screwing around between takes and not simply following the script. It is ironic that an anti-gun person would screw around unsafely when handed a gun, but it's not the first time I've seen it.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Big floppy clown shoes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Common sense, safety protocols, golden rules of gun handling can't be applied here. This is Alec Baldwin, an arrogant leftist know it all. You can't tell someone like him to follow these simple steps. He wants to tell you what you should do as he knows better (what a laugh right.) No doubt his tact will be to double down on how unsafe guns are and want to take them away from everyone. He fucked up and killed someone, but he'll want everyone else to pay for his stupidity.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
{Alec Baldwin squeezing out crocodile tears}

Gun owners: "Tell it to the judge."

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
My understanding is that a single shot was done, and the projectile passed through the lady and hit the man behind her.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
My understanding is that a single shot was done, and the projectile passed through the lady and hit the man behind her.
You're talking about two separate incidents, flash. The stunt double reportedly fired the revolver prior to the day that the person was killed. Double was "target shooting" in the desert.

You are correct about Baldwin firing a single shot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the “blame it on the actor” crowd, if I handed a Colt SAA to the average person let alone a gun hating Alec Baldwin, I doubt he could unload it to check. If it was a Colt you have to know how to unload it. It’s not a Ruger, flip open the load gate and pop out rounds even. If I handed a Colt yo most people they couldn’t check it to save their lives. Hell, true story, I rode along with my brother in law when I was in high school. Went to a shots fired call. Turned out wife pulled gun on husband (cheating) and thumb cocked the revolver. After she cooled off and realized she wasn’t going to kill him she didn’t know how to lower hammer so she pointed it at bushes and pulled the trigger. Non gun people don’t know dick about guns.

This isn’t on the actor. If I was 6’4” with handsome good looks, a full head of hair, and an A list actor, I would check the gun myself as would the rest of you ugly gun forum guys. But we aren’t actors and Alec ain’t us. They had lax protocols and poor hiring practices. She will go down and she probably should. (as should others)

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

According to the script supervisor who phoned in the original 911 call, the incident happened during a rehearsal.

The two victims were said to have been standing in a "wooden, chapel-like building" at the moment of shooting.

"We had two people accidentally shot on a movie set by a prop gun, we need help immediately," script supervisor Mamie Mitchell told an emergency dispatcher. "We were rehearsing and it went off, and I ran out, we all ran out."

Fox News

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post