SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
At this point I look at it this way: when Alec Baldwin wakes up in the morning and looks in the mirror, he has nothing better to look at than Alec Baldwin, a murdering asshole of poor character. Poor sap, I wouldn't wish that on anyone (except him).

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Well this is interesting. VideoBob Moseley just put out a YouTube video, and he shows a movie prop gun he owns that resembles a Beretta 92.

It’s an 8mm round that resembles a 9mm round that won’t fit a real gun. The 8mm round is a blank and is loud when fired and with a big flash, but the barrel is not continuous, nothing can come out the barrel. There is a hole on top for the gas to escape.

Google Movie Prop Gun.

You can see the video on YouTube if you wish.

I googled 8 mm movie prop gun, it is real, and an interesting read.

I don’t know but perhaps all movie gun props are not real guns capable of firing real ammo?

We don’t yet know what gun and ammo was fired, of course, but this video was interesting.

That sounds like a "suicide gun". It's used in scenes where the actor must shoot themself. You get noise, but nothing out of the sealed barrel that can cause damage.

The guns used in movies/TV come in all types, a few of which are:

REAL FIREARMS: Just like you'd buy in a gunstore. Supposed to be loaded with blanks at all times.

BLANK-FIRING GUNS: also a "real" gun, but will only chamber special blank cartridges.

FUNCTION GUNS: Built and operates like the real thing, but unable to actually fire a live round. Load it, cycle it, but can't actually fire.

REPLICA GUNS: manufactured to closely resemble a real weapon, but does not operate mechanically.

RUBBER GUNS: usually used when actors are shown handling weapons, but not operate or shoot on-screen. Cannot be used for close-ups like function/replica guns.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Adam Baldwin seems to believe Alec fired the weapon without permission. Not sure what that means exactly, but that would shift the culpability more toward Alec.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Those darn non-union workers.

Replacement, non-union worker was in charge of Alec Baldwin’s deadly prop gun: source

The film crew member in charge of Alec Baldwin’s deadly prop gun was a nonunion worker who was hired to replace a union member, The Post has learned.

The unidentified prop master was “just brought in” before the shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 48, on the New Mexico set of “Rust,” a source involved in the movie said Friday.

Another source briefed on the situation told The Post that a crew of unionized workers walked off the set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe on Thursday morning over poor safety protocols, before Baldwin, 68, fired the gun later that day.

Those workers were replaced by a nonunion crew, the source said.

The prop gun also misfired twice on Saturday and once during the previous week, the Los Angeles Times reported.

That information reportedly came from a knowledgeable crew member who told the Times that “there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set.”

On a 911 recording obtained by TMZ, a woman who identified herself to the operator as the movie’s script supervisor can be heard blaming the incident on someone whose name was apparently bleeped out.

“OK, this f–king [bleep] that yelled at me at lunch asking about revisions, this motherf–ker,” she said, apparently to someone nearby.

“Did you see him lean over my desk and yell at me? He’s supposed to check the guns. He’s responsible for what happened.”

An unidentified crew member also told the Times that Hutchins had been advocating for safer working conditions for her team before she was killed.

The Times reported that a half-dozen unionized camera crew workers walked off the set Thursday to protest their working conditions.

The crew reportedly showed up as scheduled at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday but began gathering up their gear and personal possessions to leave.

Some sort of settlement was apparently reached because the Times said the workers — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — later spent about an hour setting up their gear.

But at some point, several nonunion workers reportedly showed up to replace them and a member of the production staff ordered the union crew to leave.

The production staffer threatened to call in security to remove the union workers if they didn’t go voluntarily, the Times said.

The shooting that killed Hutchins and also wounded director Joel Souza, 48, took place about six hours after the union workers left, The Times said.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable crew member told the Times.

The unionized camera crew’s complaints reportedly included long hours and wage issues.

In addition, the Times said that workers on the low-budget Western were promised that they’d be given no-cost hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But shortly after filming began on Oct. 6, the various crews were reportedly instead told they had to stay overnight in Albuquerque, about 50 miles away.

On Tuesday, Hutchins posted a photo of the movie’s cast and crew on her Instagram page, along with a shoutout to her union.

“Standing in #IAsolidarity with our @IATSE crew here in New Mexico on RUST,” she wrote.

The revelations of alarming safety worries and related labor strife raise the specter of a looming legal storm that’s likely to engulf Baldwin, who’s named first among the dozen producers of “Rust” who are listed on the IMDb website.

Los Angeles lawyer Louis Shapiro, who has appeared as a legal analyst on Access Hollywood and Entertainment Tonight, said he expected Thursday’s shooting would lead a wrongful-death suit and potentially a criminal case.

“The question is: Who is the one who is exercising negligence here? Who wasn’t meeting their duty of care to make sure that the gun was either loaded with the right ammunition or blanks?” he told The Post.

“Where is the duty of care to make sure that that gun is properly loaded and properly used? That duty doesn’t lie with the actor. The actor was just handed something. The duty of care lies with the prop person.”

A spokesman for the IATSE — which also represents prop masters — said Friday that the union had “no comment nor information to share at this time beyond the statement we released earlier today.”

That statement called Hutchins’ death an “unspeakable loss” and urged IATSE members to contact the union if they “feel unsafe on set for any reason.”

“Creating a culture of safety requires relentless vigilance from every one of us, day in and day out. Please, if you see something, say something,” the statement added.

A representative for Rust Movie Productions didn’t immediately return a request for comment from The Post.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/...ins-deadly-prop-gun/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a movie maker in any way but I don’t understand on any level why a real gun would be on set for anything. I’m sure real guns with blanks are cheaper perhaps than a modded gun that can’t fire real ammo. Other than that I cannot grasp why you would ever risk a real gun on set. Ever.

I hate Baldwin for all the reasons stated above but I don’t think actors are going to check guns or explosives or stunt fall airbags or anything. There is a guy for that. It’s make believe. (Unless there actually is a real gun on set which seems incredibly dangerous)

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone stuck a live round in the gun as sabotage.

He pointed the gun, he alone pulled the trigger.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I can't help but jump to that assumption as well.

Alec Baldwin didn’t know weapon contained live round: warrant

SANTA FE, N.M. — Alec Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot in the chest. Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded, the records show.

The warrant was obtained Friday so that investigators could document the scene at the ranch where the shooting took place. It notes that Baldwin’s blood-stained costume for the Western film “Rust” was taken as evidence, as was the weapon that was fired.

Investigators also seized other prop guns and ammunition that were being used during shooting of the film starring Baldwin.

Earlier in the day, Baldwin described the killing as a “tragic accident.” Baldwin was performing at the time of the shooting, the sheriff’s office said. It was unclear how many rounds were fired, and little was known about the weapon.

Sheriff’s spokesman Juan Rios said detectives were at the set Friday morning gathering evidence and information.

No immediate charges were filed, and Baldwin is permitted to travel, he said.

“He’s a free man,” Rios said

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/...-live-round-warrant/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
“ Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot in the chest. Director Joel Souza, who was standing behind her, was wounded, the records show.“

Where was Baldwin supposed to be shooting at?
Clearly, there were a number of people in the direction of the shot. I’ve also read how it was a piece of camera equipment that struck the director.
So what was going on?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
What weapon was involved? As a Western I expect a revolver, shotgun or lever action? I seem to have missed any mention of it.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I don't believe that information has been released.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I hope his killing her haunts him for the rest of his days.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the victim and her loved one's, and I too hope Baldwin is haunted forever.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the victims in this and their families. I hope the investigation is swift and results in severe action.
Having said that. Fuck Alec Baldwin.
https://youtu.be/zGeLnX3aj40

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
What weapon was involved? As a Western I expect a revolver, shotgun or lever action? I seem to have missed any mention of it.

From the New York Post:

A gun similar to the one that was used on set

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Thank you B.H.

So misfires on a prop gun earlier in the week....so someone had to intentionally load live ammo...the plot thickens....

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Not a movie maker in any way but I don’t understand on any level why a real gun would be on set for anything. I’m sure real guns with blanks are cheaper perhaps than a modded gun that can’t fire real ammo. Other than that I cannot grasp why you would ever risk a real gun on set. Ever.

There are some guns that just don’t exist as fake guns. The minigun from Predator and Terminator 2, for instance. Sometimes if you want a certain gun in a movie, your only option is a real gun…especially if it’s a high dollar or rare item that converting it to a dummy would be a bad idea.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office obtained the warrant Friday so investigators could document the scene at the ranch outside Santa Fe where the shooting took place. They sought Baldwin’s blood-stained costume for the film “Rust” as evidence, as well as the weapon that was fired, other prop guns and ammunition, and any footage that might exist.

The gun was one of three that the film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez, had set on a cart outside the wooden structure where a scene was being acted, according to the records. Assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds, a detective wrote in the search warrant application.

It was unclear how many rounds were fired.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/she...p-gun-100904090.html

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez

Videographer at Synth Fire
Flagstaff, Arizona, United States

About
Film Major at NAU. I work for Synthfire media and documentary work on the side with the city of Flagstaff.

Experience
City of Flagstaff Graphic
Documentary Filmmaker
City of Flagstaff
Aug 2019 - Present 2 years 3 months

Flagstaff, Arizona Area

Synth Fire Graphic
Videographer
Synth Fire
Nov 2018 - Present 3 years

Flagstaff, Arizona Area

Yellowstone Film Ranc Graphic
Armorer
Yellowstone Film Ranc
Mar 2021 - Jun 2021 4 months

Montana, United States

Loading firearms with appropriately sized blanks. Ensuring gun safety on set along with instructing actors on how to use their guns.

Northern Arizona Today Graphic
Studio Camera Operator
Northern Arizona Today
Jun 2018 - Jan 2019 8 months

Arizona, United States

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ha...-gutierrez-a840a6191

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^^From Jelly's link above me.
Live rounds on a movie set?

quote:
The gun was one of three that the film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez, had set on a cart outside the wooden structure where a scene was being acted, according to the records. Assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds, a detective wrote in the search warrant application.

It seems now to me there might be an issue w/ experience being a matter of months. Or portrayed that way. I would think that position would be more trained than those 30 yrs. ago, 20 yrs. ago, or even 10 yrs. ago, considering past accidents in the field. I've seen clips showing the behind the scenes workings and they seemed to be pretty respectful of firearms along w/ the history of them. This should not be happening.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:

Three guns laying on a cart does not sound like strict weapons-on-set protocols. And from what I have read online just handing it to an actor seems to be missing a few steps (as the tweet I posted from Nick Searcy mentioned a few pages ago).

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post