SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
What I want to know is how do I get a job as an armorer on set?

I promise I won't hand any guns to 11 year olds or anything.
I suspect Hannah's job might be opening up pretty soon.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea you guys keep skipping the question. I keep hearing that some guns can’t be “copied” so only a real gun can be used. That’s just plain nonsense. I literally have watched movies with spaceships, aliens, ray guns, trains, cars, boats, etc that are fakes. Anything can be copied. So the question again is why even have ANY real guns on set? All of this of course ignores that the gun in question, a Colt SAA or clone, is probably the easiest gun in the world to make nonfunctional for live ammo.

Hollywood must have a couple hundred if not more of this exact gun that is made in rubber or has been modded to only fire blanks.

I can’t think of a single valid reason a live ammo capable firing gun would ever make it on set. You know how I can prove I’m right? There won’t be anymore. This industry just got a very belated and very visible wake up call. This shooting by an A list actor isn’t the same as Hexum or even Lee. This is Tom Cruise level visibility. The fact they allowed guns and live ammo on sets will become a thing of the past even though it should have never been a thing in the first place.

Typical Hollywood elite hubris.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The husband of the lady killed is an attorney with Latham & Watkins LLP.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking some kind of union was involved to why she wasn't fired for hoer other infractions.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
The husband of the lady killed is an attorney with Latham & Watkins LLP.

Probably no one here has any idea who Latham & Watkins is, save maybe sdy and wcb.

Yes, this is now turning into a conspiracy theory because Latham & Watkins is a law firm that has relations with the Clintons, Sussman, the whole Russian collusion nonsense, yadda yadda yadda.

But this law firm is huge with thousands of lawyers and dozens of offices. I doubt it has any significance with this shooting whatsoever.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I'm thinking some kind of union was involved to why she wasn't fired for hoer other infractions.

Earlier reports stated she was non-union brought in to replace a union Head Armorer.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I'm probably just naive but I've never heard "cold" gun before. If it's a movie thing then that may have been a failure point. Jeez, I'm thinking I could have done a better job than Hannah but probably everyone around her, prop master to AD to key grip were trying to compensate for her inexperience. I imagine a locked case with certified blank hand-cuffed to the prop master. A movie set is probably not the place to plink. Obviously the movie gun industry is huge. I bet there are some pissed off folks as a result of this Swiss cheese failure.

"The camera can be there but you can't"

FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

Earlier reports stated she was non-union brought in to replace a union Head Armorer.

So Baldwin is a union-buster?

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It absolutely sucks that someone died.

But like Para said, if this had to happen, at least it's Alec Baldwin.

The Armorer is ultimately going to be found negligent. Preventing the failures seen here are literally the reason why you have an armorer on set. If she had done her job the way it was supposed to be done, no amount of reasonably foreseeable intervening stupidity would have caused an injury.

Despite the above, take comfort in knowing that Alec Baldwin is going to be sued into oblivion as the Producer and for his part in allowing the filming despite earlier safety failures.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wow, I didn't see that.
I suppose the union armorer quit over the stupidity on the set.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The research I’ve done indicates that there were two NDs a couple days before the fatal shooting. Apparently, Baldwin’s stunt double fired off two live rounds. The set should have been immediately closed down and a full review of firearms handling procedures conducted. Apparently, that wasn’t done.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yea you guys keep skipping the question. I keep hearing that some guns can’t be “copied” so only a real gun can be used. That’s just plain nonsense. I literally have watched movies with spaceships, aliens, ray guns, trains, cars, boats, etc that are fakes. Anything can be copied. So the question again is why even have ANY real guns on set? All of this of course ignores that the gun in question, a Colt SAA or clone, is probably the easiest gun in the world to make nonfunctional for live ammo.

Hollywood must have a couple hundred if not more of this exact gun that is made in rubber or has been modded to only fire blanks.

Typical Hollywood elite hubris.

Old habits die hard. In the old days they used real guns with blanks and I'll bet most of the actors knew how to handle a real gun. Special effects didn't exist yet, and in some cases, live machine guns fired by experts were used for realism. Rubber prop guns were developed due to cost - if you have an army, give them all rubber guns and give the real guns only to the lead actors who get close ups.

And they did real stunts in real cars with real crashes, and real ramp jumping. And they used real explosives. And real people jumped off real buildings and landed in those big stunt bags.

Now they can do a lot with CGI - muzzle blast and flying shells for guns - and a lot of other things, but that is relatively recent in history. CGI post production is not cheap, and this appears to be a low budget movie.

I'm not sure about today, but Quentin Tarantino did not like to use CGI in his movies. He also shot on real film not 4K video. That might have changed but purists that do not use CGI still use practical special effects.

And the truth is, if you follow proper safety and handling methods, there should be no issues. If that was not the case, people at ranges all over the country, as well has police officers and armed citizens would be getting shot every day in all kinds of "accidents".

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
The day before the deadly incident, a large number of people in the camera department resigned over reasons including an apparent lack of safety protocols, a member of the camera crew who quit the production told ABC News.

On a day prior to Thursday's fatal shooting, there were two accidental discharges within 10 minutes, according to the former crew member.

The issue of gun safety had been brought up by the camera crew and allegedly brushed off repeatedly by producers, said the person, who had already left the set before the fatal shooting occurred.

If this is all true: It won't be only the armorer who burns for this tragedy.

quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Saw this update on Jack Posobiec's twitter feed - TMZ reporting that the revolver was being used off-hours for target practice by some of the crew & that live / blank ammo were being stored in the same vicinity.

If true: This is something the armorer should never have allowed and would be mind-bogglingly irresponsible, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Sounds like amateur hour.

Indeed, and which may go a long way in explaining why Hollyweird types are so anti-gun: In addition to unrealistic views of the capabilities of firearms, they don't have well-founded habits for responsible handling of them. Then they project all their ignorance on everybody else.

E.g.: If the famously anti-gun Alec Baldwin truly understood firearms and their safe handling, he would have at least made certain the firearms he handled were what they were represented to be, if not have downright refused to continue working on what has been reported to have been an unsafe set.

quote:
Looks like the blow back is beginning.

-----------

‘The Rookie’ show bans live guns on set after Alec Baldwin's prop gun shooting incident

"Live guns?" <looks at the pistol sitting beside him...> "Are you alive?"

Hmmm... It's not answering me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The video that SigSentry posted covers my understanding of how firing movie guns operated and why I am baffled behind how this happened.

Although, if a significant issue occurred and a screw in plug failed, that could become a lethal projectile.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the Film industry safety bulletins for firearms usage; #1 and #2. Very interesting reading!

https://www.csatf.org/wp-conte...18/05/01FIREARMS.pdf

https://www.csatf.org/wp-conte...2LIVE_AMMUNITION.pdf

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I didn't immediately connect Latham and Watkins law firm, but yes they are representing Michael Sussmann in the indictment filed by John Durham.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you guys want this thread locked, you're going in the right direction.

This law firm connection is mere coincidence and any rational person knows this,

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Armorer chick is Thell Reeds kid. I would guess his name alone helped her get an Armorer gig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
From the Rust Wiki page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(upcoming_film)

"He [Baldwin] compared the screenplay to the 1992 film Unforgiven, and said it was inspired by a true story. When asked about his gun slinging and horse riding skills, he said, "They're always at the ready. I'm an actor of the old school. So if you read my resume – my motorcycle riding, my French, juggling, my horseback riding, my gunplay – is all right at my fingertips at all times."

Well, you got your true story now Alec.

"It's a hell of a thing killing a man-you take away all he's got and all he's gonna have"

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
"He [Baldwin] compared the screenplay to the 1992 film Unforgiven...
HA!!

Eastwood's film is one of the most significant westerns ever, and Baldwin compares his dog shit to it.

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post