SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't stop there. Have the courage of your convictions. Guns are bad, right? They're not inanimate objects. Guns are malevolent. Get rid of them altogether in your films and TV shows. Cop shows? Just have everyone point their finger like a gun and say "powpow"

C'mon, show us how pure you are and flush those millions of dollars down the drain. You know, all that money you make from your depiction of these evil guns? Make it a better world, you phonies.

Assholes Smile

Alec, how ya doin' there, bud? Drinkin' a bit more this weekend, huh? Oh, a lot more. Well, that's cool. You done fucked up, son, so, try to forget.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
IF this article is accurate, the fact that the movie/ TV industry has developed terminology to distinguish a real gun loaded with live ammo vs. a real gun loaded with blanks (“hot” — loaded with live rounds, or “cold” — loaded with blank rounds) suggests that live ammo is used on some sets. There are conflicting news reports that movie set terminology defines "hot" as being loaded with blanks and "cold" being unloaded. If this confusion in terms exists on production sets between cast and crew members, I could see real safety issues just in this detail alone.

Years ago I was a witness to a major aviation incident in which two aircraft collided at high speed, one on take off, the other on taxi. The reason for the crash, simple human miscommunication and a confusion on signals.

[note: hyperlinks at linked website article]

----------------------------------------

'Rust’ armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed once gave unchecked gun to 11-year-old actor: report

by Patrick Reilly
October 23, 2021 8:56pm Updated

A film set of Alec Baldwin's movie "Rust" at the Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where he fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
AP Photo/Jae C. Hong

The “inexperienced” armorer in charge of weapons on set of Alec Baldwin’s movie “Rust” had given a gun to an 11-year-old actress without checking properly for safety, a report said.

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, 24, daughter of prominent Hollywood armorer Thell Reed, was head armorer on set in Santa Fe where Baldwin fired a prop gun loaded with a live round, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

Gutierrez-Reed’s alleged misstep happened on the set of the upcoming Nicholas Cage film, “The Old Way” and temporarily halted filming, sources told The Daily Beast.

“She was reloading the gun on the ground, where there were pebbles and stuff,” one source told the outlet. “We didn’t see her check it, we didn’t know if something got in the barrel or not.”

Gutierrez-Reed reportedly handed the gun to child actress Ryan Kiera Armstrong, forcing concerned crew members to intervene, the report said. The gun was then checked for barrel obstruction, according to the sources.

“She was a bit careless with the guns, waving it around every now and again,” a source said.

“There were a couple times she was loading the blanks and doing it in a fashion that we thought was unsafe.”

Head armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed reportedly gave a non-inspected gun to an 11-year-old actress on the set of the Nicholas Cage film, “The Old Way”.
Voices of the West/Facebook

A “Rust” production source described Reed as “inexperienced and green,” to the outlet, adding that there had been two other incidents of accidental discharges by crew members.

Two other “Rust” production sources questioned if Assistant Director Dave Halls followed proper procedure before the tragic incident.

“He’s supposed to be our last line of defense and he failed us,” one source told The Daily Beast. “He’s the last person that’s supposed to look at that firearm.”

Halls was named in the affidavit calling out “cold gun,” indicating its safety before giving the weapon to Baldwin.

Another source confirmed that it should be the assistant director’s job to test each gun for being “hot” — loaded with live rounds, or “cold” — loaded with blank rounds.

“This check alone should’ve prevented this incident,” the person told The Daily Beast.

Last month, Guitierrez- Reed said on a podcast that she was “nervous” about her abilities as an armorer while she was working on “The Old Way” — her first experience as head armorer.

“You know, I was really nervous about it at first, and I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready … but, doing it, like, it went really smoothly,” she said last month on the Voices of the West podcast.

Head armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, was criticized for being “inexperienced and green.”

--------------------------------------------

[Note: emphasis added in bold]

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
He's an arrogant obnoxious prick. Fake tears, he'll try his best to blame it on someone else. After all his self-righteous rants, he has killed an innocent woman and put another person in the hospital - using a gun. It's just too bad he wasn't doing a Russian roulette scene.

Respectfully, this is erroneous thinking. Both "sides" do this kind of stuff. It dehumanizes the other side and makes them easier to vilify. There's not a lot of question that Alec Baldwin is a first-order asshole, but to assume that that extends to not valuing human life, or feeling any sorrow, remorse, or regret for taking it is a mistake.

This is the same kind of thinking that the left applies to police officers in the use of deadly force.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this update on Jack Posobiec's twitter feed - TMZ reporting that the revolver was being used off-hours for target practice by some of the crew & that live / blank ammo were being stored in the same vicinity.

quote:
The smoking gun that claimed the life of Halyna Hutchins might've been more than just an on-set prop -- it was also being fired recreationally, even when cameras weren't rolling.

Multiple sources directly connected to the 'Rust' production tell TMZ ... the same gun Alec Baldwin accidentally fired -- hitting the DP and director -- was being used by crews members off set as well, for what we're told amounted to target practice.

quote:
There's also this ... one source who was on set and familiar with the goings-on of the crew tells us that when cops showed up, they found live ammo and blanks were being stored in the same area -- another possible explanation for how an actual bullet slipped got in the gun.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/23...set-target-practice/

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw this update on Jack Posobiec's twitter feed - TMZ reporting that the revolver was being used off-hours for target practice by some of the crew & that live / blank ammo were being stored in the same vicinity.

Even if this was true it is no excuse in my eyes for lack of following safe gun rules.

Let see here

#1 alec hypocrite baldwin failed to Keep The Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction.

#2 alec baldwin failed to check gun.

#3 assistant director failed to check gun.

#4 movie armor failed to check gun.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Infuriating lack of proper safety protocols. How does this even happen? Oh, inexperienced film armorer, following in daddy’s footsteps. After her short prison stay, let’s hope she never touches a gun again.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Anybody heard why a movie script would call for an actor to point a firearm at one of the video photographers and pull the trigger? Doesn’t seem like that action would be part of a typical scene.

Well, there is the ending of Goodfellas.
(homage to the Great Train Robbery)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Respectfully, this is erroneous thinking. Both "sides" do this kind of stuff. It dehumanizes the other side and makes them easier to vilify. There's not a lot of question that Alec Baldwin is a first-order asshole, but to assume that that extends to not valuing human life, or feeling any sorrow, remorse, or regret for taking it is a mistake.

This is the same kind of thinking that the left applies to police officers in the use of deadly force.

This kind of thinking?

If I was on a jury, I would conclude he shot the cinematographer with malice.

Or this kind?

Fuck him. He truly is a piece of shit that cares nothing about anything but himself.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting to understand why people walked off the set because of safety violations.

If true, this was an accident waiting to happen.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Does this address your question?

Yes, thank you.
(That’s why we ask questions, and I admit that I am more familiar with law enforcement training than the entertainment industry and its practices.)

I will reiterate, however, that “the four”* rules are not adequate to ensure safe handling and shooting of firearms. There are others that anyone who does so should be aware of, and that’s my objection to treating those rules as if they were adequate. When people get the idea that a very limited number of rules are all they must be familiar with, then they may not think of other safety issues such as the danger of leaving live and dummy ammunition stored in the same area.

The same principle is the reason why some of the authors of the US Constitution objected to including a Bill of Rights. They feared that if certain rights were enumerated, people would come to believe later that only those rights existed—and they were correct. (I don’t object to the BoR myself, but pointing out things like that we have a right to keep and carry effective self-defense weapons regardless of the Second Amendment is a constant struggle, and generally ineffective.)

Following “the four” rules may be sufficient to ensure that no one (nearby) gets shot directly, but as has been pointed out, the reason for multiple rules is belt and suspenders caution: One or even more rules may be broken, but, for example, following the rule to not mix different types of cartridges in an active use area may have prevented this tragedy. Following the same rule will also help prevent the types of accidents in which a gun blows up on a firing line and injures not only the shooter but also bystanders. That rule isn’t one of “the” four, but it’s important in some situations and all shooters should be aware of it.

* “The” rules also vary depending upon who’s teaching them. They are all similar in purpose, but they are not exactly the same and that can cause dangerous confusion unless they are explained properly and their exceptions pointed out. (One exception is that we can’t treat a Glock pistol as if it were loaded all the time when field stripping it. Another is that I would never attempt to clean a loaded gun.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Well, there is the ending of Goodfellas.
(homage to the Great Train Robbery)

In the current age of recording video, there certainly is no reason for a person to be behind the lens of the camera to capture this scene. There is also no reason they could not use movable backstops to protect people or property down range. This is done all the time by media photography and video folks in the industry.

Everyone keeps referring to the gun as a "prop gun" when in reality it was a gun. It was not fake and you could shoot live or blank rounds without any modification. Therefore, IMO, I believe the cardinal rules must apply.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
soflaac's post above could be the key

The gun was also being used for recreational shooting w live rounds

How incredibly stupid and dangerous

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
sodlaac's post above could be the key

The gun was also being used for recreational shooting w live rounds

How incredibly stupid and dangerous

Sounds like amateur hour.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Looks like the blow back is beginning.

-----------

‘The Rookie’ show bans live guns on set after Alec Baldwin's prop gun shooting incident

Updated Oct 23, 2021 5:01 PM
Adelle Fernandes

ABC cop drama The Rookie has banned the firing of real guns on the sets of the show. This comes after Hollywood's Academy Award nominee, Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the sets of his next film, Rust. The incident led to the death of Halyna Hutchins, the director of photography and also left the director, Joel Souza injured.

Someone explain why you would have a real, loaded gun on a movie/TV set?

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Haha, Ripley, I can't tell if that's a real photo or not. That's a hell of a photoshop job.

quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:

Someone explain why you would have a real, loaded gun on a movie/TV set?

News reporting is so damn awful and confusing.

I'm sure they simply mean they won't be using blanks any longer and will rely solely on CGI for gun effects.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting everyone involved seems to be trying to cast the blame on someone else.

What stand-up people they are.

I hope Baldwin pays a heavy legal, financial and professional price for this.

As the producer and shooter, he bares ultimate responsible for this both in setting the tone and standards on the set as well as being the trigger puller.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
What I want to know is how do I get a job as an armorer on set?

I promise I won't hand any guns to 11 year olds or anything.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
At some point, I would hope and expect that some news reporting source would practice a random act of journalism, by actually interviewing a real dyed-in-the-wool experienced Hollywood Head Armorer, and get answers to questions that would include:

- Is there ever a need or legitimate use of live rounds on a production set?

- What are the correct terms (terminology) for the status of guns on a set?

- What are the protocols and procedures used by a Head Armorer to maintain safety on a set?

- Are there any camera angles, camera shot perspectives, that legitimately require pointing a gun at an actor?

- If a gun is to be pointed at a camera lens, ie staring down the barrel, does the camera crew or DP need to be behind the camera operating it, or can it be operated remotely, with the crew in a safe area away from the muzzle?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post