SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Today, United will get a call from me. They're not going to like it.

And United will have run out of rat's asses to give.....

You're probably right that they won't care.

Until it hurts financially.

Recall the recent Target fiasco, in which management thumbed their noses at normal middle-class America over our normal toilet privacy values? Target management just didn't care about what normal people thought. Turns out that HURT. It hurt way, way more than the managers at Target ever thought it would. And it will continue to hurt for a long time to come.

The thugs at United will learn to care if/when it hurts enough to not care.

And I'm thinking that this incident is going to hurt a LOT.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Meaning what?

Very simply, sir, that United will not give a rat's ass that you called to voice your opinion, complain, etc. Two words...

BOTTOM
LINE
Why don't you tend to your own business and let me worry abut whether or not my time is wasted on such an effort? I don't give a fuck about their "BOTTOM LINE" or the opinions of others as to what effect my efforts may have.

I get the impression that those of you who are pilots or work in the airline industry think the rest of us are clueless, huh? Is that it? You need to tell the rest of us how things are? I'm here to tell you, guys, that a blind man can see how fucked up things are with the commercial airline cattle industry.

You think you're going to give us a fresh perspective on this? A pile of shit is still a pile of shit, no matter how you look at it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108095 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Really stupid policy to randomly select people to be bumped.

It's not a random selection. The person being bumped is the person who checked in last.

The article said the selection was random.

I feel pretty sure that the fare agreement contains your agreement to this procedure. But, it would be better (and cheaper in terms of publicity) for the airline to just keep increasing the offer to take a bump until someone accepts the cash.

It's not like you to use conjecture...

https://www.united.com/web/en-...act-of-carriage.aspx

quote:

Rule 25 Denied Boarding Compensation

Denied Boarding (U.S.A./Canadian Flight Origin) - When there is an Oversold UA flight that originates in the U.S.A. or Canada, the following provisions apply:
Request for Volunteers
UA will request Passengers who are willing to relinquish their confirmed reserved space in exchange for compensation in an amount determined by UA (including but not limited to check or an electronic travel certificate). The travel certificate will be valid only for travel on UA or designated Codeshare partners for one year from the date of issue and will have no refund value. If a Passenger is asked to volunteer, UA will not later deny boarding to that Passenger involuntarily unless that Passenger was informed at the time he was asked to volunteer that there was a possibility of being denied boarding involuntarily and of the amount of compensation to which he/she would have been entitled in that event. The request for volunteers and the selection of such person to be denied space will be in a manner determined solely by UA.
Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA. If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:
Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 15 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.
The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.
Transportation for Passengers Denied Boarding - When UA is unable to provide previously confirmed space due to an Oversold flight, UA will provide transportation to such Passengers who have been denied boarding whether voluntarily or involuntarily in accordance with the provisions below.
UA will transport the Passenger on its own flight to the Destination without Stopover on its next flight on which space is available at no additional cost to the Passenger, regardless of class of service.
If space is available on another Carrier’s flight regardless of class of service, such flights may be used upon United’s sole discretion and the Passenger’s request at no additional cost to the Passenger only if such flight provides an earlier arrival than the UA flight offered in 3) a) above.
Compensation for Passengers Denied Boarding Involuntarily
For passengers traveling in interstate transportation between points within the United States, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than two hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD.
For passengers traveling from the United States to a foreign point, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight originating at a U.S. airport at the rate of 200% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination, with a maximum of 675 USD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight at the rate of 400% of the fare to the Passenger’s first Stopover or, if none, Destination with a maximum of 1350 USD.
For passengers traveling from Canada to a foreign point, subject to the EXCEPTIONS in section d) below, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight originating at a Canadian airport with a maximum of 200 CAD if UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than one hour but less than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight. If UA offers Alternate Transportation that, at the time the arrangement is made, is planned to arrive at the Passenger’s Destination or first Stopover more than four hours after the planned arrival time of the Passenger’s original flight, UA shall pay compensation to Passengers denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight with a maximum of 300 CAD. At the passenger’s request, compensation in the form of check, wire transfer, visa card, or a travel voucher will be made by UA, and if accepted by the Passenger, the Passenger will provide a signed receipt to UA.
EXCEPTIONS: A Passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an Oversold Flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if:
The flight is cancelled;
The Passenger holding a Ticket for confirmed reserved space does not comply fully with the requirements in this Contract of Carriage Requirements regarding ticketing, check-in, reconfirmation procedures, and acceptance for transportation;
The flight for which the Passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate the Passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons or, on an aircraft with a designed passenger capacity of 60 or fewer seats, the flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger due to weight/balance restrictions when required by operational or safety reasons;
The Passenger is offered accommodations or is seated in a section of the aircraft other than that specified on his/her ticket at no extra charge. Provided, if a Passenger is seated in a section for which a lower fare applies, the Passenger will be entitled to a refund applicable to the difference in fares;
The Passenger is accommodated on Alternate Transportation at no extra cost, which at the time such arrangements are made, is planned to arrive at the airport of the Passenger’s next Stopover, (if any), or at the Destination, not later than 60 minutes after the planned arrival time of the flight on which the Passenger held confirmed reserved space;
The Passenger is an employee of UA or of another Carrier or other person traveling without a confirmed reserved space; or
The Passenger does not present him/herself at the loading gate for boarding at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled domestic departures, and 30 minutes prior to scheduled international departures. See Rule 5 D) for additional information regarding boarding cut-off times.

The problem is that he wasn't denied boarding. He was boarded, then asked to leave.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
If you want overbooking to end, then the idea of flying from JFK-LAX for $179 bucks must end as well.

I have absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. Some might, but I don't.

A major part of the reason airline travel has become little more than what Greyhound used to be is the affordability of tickets even for welfare recipients. Jack up the prices again and we'll see service return.

Posts: 20208 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhhhhhh. So the selection WASN'T "at random", as others have claimed. I would bet my next per diem check the computer selected the 4 individuals who checked in last by time-stamp. It still doesn't change the fact that this flight had so much FAIL in it by multiple parties...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27024 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Meaning what?

Very simply, sir, that United will not give a rat's ass that you called to voice your opinion, complain, etc. Two words...

BOTTOM
LINE
Why don't you tend to your own business and let me worry abut whether or not my time is wasted on such an effort? I don't give a fuck about their "BOTTOM LINE" or the opinions of others as to what effect my efforts may have.

I get the impression that those of you who are pilots or work in the airline industry think the rest of us are clueless, huh? Is that it? You need to tell the rest of us how things are? I'm here to tell you, guys, that a blind man can see how fucked up things are with the commercial airline cattle industry.

You think you're going to give us a fresh perspective on this? A pile of shit is still a pile of shit, no matter how you look at it.

Sir.....IMHO, you're getting over-torqued for no substantiated reason. I actually agree with what most have said about the customer service level proffered by United here. I have in no way deserved the treatment you're giving me here in your response. I'm simply stating that United will not care one bit about customer complaints and that THEIR only concern is the bottom line; plain and simple.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, they decided to ask 4 people to deplane so that 4 employees could make their next flight.

Because they removed the passengers, the light was delayed 2 hours.

I'm guessing the 4 employees missed their flight.

No forward thinking in that evolution at all.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, you just don't understand because you're not a pilot and you don't work for United Cattle Airlines or one of the other flying fucking stockyards.

Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
. . .I'm guessing the 4 employees missed their flight.

No forward thinking in that evolution at all.

No.

If you read all the material, you'll see that the employees were being transported on Sunday to man a flight that was scheduled for Monday.

Among the several other practical solutions available to United was the solution of renting a car for the employees and having them drive on Sunday afternoon (a 4-hour drive) so that they could spend the night in a hotel (as planned) and be ready for their flight on Monday. This would've cost United just a hundred bucks or so, and would've been much cheaper for United than bumping even just one paying passenger.

The stupid at United is thick.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
To blame it entirely on the carriers is folly.
HORSE SHIT

If I may be so bold as to "put words into entropy's mouth", boss, I think the point that he was attempting to get at (but failed to spell out) is that the reason the practice came into existence is as he stated: Customers expect round trip from JFK-LAX for $179. The key to this isn't so much which airports are involved, but rather the price. Customers wanted lower fares. The only way to make a plane profitable is to ensure that you get ever possible cent of revenue out of it.

Just making up numbers here, but if it costs $10k to make the flight, and you have 100 seats, and you need to make $5000 profit on the flight, then you must charge $150 per seat. However, if you've only historically sold 50% of your seats, then you have to advertise higher prices. If, by chance, you sell more than 50% of the seats, then lucky day, you make more profit.

Note: I am not defending the policy by any means, and I'm in the condemn it camp, whole-heartedly, but I think that's the long point that entropy was trying to make.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
This whole thing is United's fault and their public explanation that the flight was oversold is untrue.

It wasn't until United decided to fly some of their own employess somewhere and bump people who paid to be on the full flight that's the problem.

Screw United, it's their fault completely.

Hey United, stop lying about how all this happened.
You started it, own up to it.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31433 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
If I may be so bold as to "put words into entropy's mouth",
I know what he meant and I am telling you that this disgusting and SELF-SERVING policy of overbooking by the airlines is ENTIRELY the fault of the airline industry- not customers, not vendors, not insurance companies or the color of the fucking sky. The airline industry and ONLY the airline industry is responsible for this GREEDY shit.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I'm somewhat surprised that no one jumped at the $800 offer the get bumped.
It's not $800, its $800 on their airline.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

To the commercial pilots on this board: I appreciate you for the skill you have and what your job entails but don't for a minute believe that standing up for asinine policies will buy you any good will from people like the guy in this video who was obviously f***** over.

To the pilots; I see your point about it being your airplane and what you say goes and has the weight of the law behind it. I don't have a problem with the pilot(s) in this situation.

The screw-up was from the manager(s) who couldn't get any REAL volunteers and forced this into a scenario by which somebody was forcefully (whether with physical force or the threat thereof) removed.

You have a perspective that I will never have - that of a pilot used to putting up with many retarded customers on a daily basis.

However, there are more of us than there are of you, so from the perspective of a paying customer, this kind of situation inflames our passions.

quote:

Thanks for reminding me how simple and easy this business is.

Ignoring the sarcasm of your post, do YOU think it was a good idea to force a paying customer, already seated, to vacate the aircraft?

Do you not think it would have been better to keep upping the $$$ offer until they got real volunteers? Do you think this is, in ANY way, good for UAL? Do you think this practice is good business/Public Relations for UAL?

quote:
^^^^^^^^^^
Ahhhhhhh. So the selection WASN'T "at random", as others have claimed. I would bet my next per diem check the computer selected the 4 individuals who checked in last by time-stamp. It still doesn't change the fact that this flight had so much FAIL in it by multiple parties...

Well, the original article said they were selected at random. A witness on the plane said the managers said it was random. So maybe the manager lied. Either way, it's IRRELEVANT whether the doctor was the first or last person checked in. He paid his money just like everybody else. Arguing over HOW the doctor got picked to be ejected is splitting hairs.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21862 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but this is obviously a huge F-up by United. For the last 9 years I've been a frequent flyer due to my profession, I have never been affected by the practice of over selling flights. I have benefited from this practice a couple of times when I had a flexible schedule (return flight). As, has been stated many times already, there were multiple solutions that could have been chosen to alleviate this staffing issue. United chose the worst solution, because they could, not because it was thr best solution. Now, United will learn a very expensive lesson. I will personally never fly United again. I didn't enjoy flying United to begin with...

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why the staff allowed everyone to board, then tried to pull people off the plane.

They should have selected before boarding, then if the employees didn't show, board who can be boarded.

The airlines are a shit show, I fly only because I need to in order to make a living and occasionally I'd like to vacation in place you can't realistically drive (or not at all).

But you have to take it for what it is, a shit show, start to finish. From the time you buy a ticket, to checking in with TSA, to seeing the menagerie of people you travel with - big, small, smelly, friendly, rude, the airplanes / crews / agents... it is just one complete shit show of an event.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for reminding me how simple and easy this business is.

boo hoo

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
With respect to Para and this board, Ive removed myself from the discussion. If the Boss wants me to expand further with my opinion, it is his option. I bowed out because it was escalating more than I felt comfortable with.

Jim

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everyone- E-v-e-r-y-o-n-e has not one but two cameras with them all the time.- still photos and video, high resolution, even.

How inept does the the UA staff on that particular plane and the management personnel with which you know they were in communication have to be to allow this to happen?

Their own rules, posted on the previous page, refer to denial of boarding. Home slice was boarded already. Gee, ya think this may have been part of the problem? I hope the doctor sues the ever-loving shit out of UA and a jury hands UA its own ass.

Big floppy clown shoes. Fucking amateur hour. Asses were already in seats, you fucking dolts. Your fellow employees will have to find a different way to their destination.

Wait, let's get some pilot or airline worker to come in here and tell me that I just don't understand.