SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When a flight is over-booked, and no one takes the bribe for a later flight, the airline ought to keep increasing the bribe until someone takes it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9015 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, the solution is to cease entirely the practice of overbooking, and I don't give a shit about threats of higher ticket prices. If prices were higher, there'd be less trash flying these days. That's how it used to be. Trash took the bus.

The only true solution is for the airline industry to stop this shit, immediately, completely and forever.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107762 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, the solution is to cease entirely the practice of overbooking, and I don't give a shit about threats of higher ticket prices. If prices were higher, there'd be less trash flying these days. That's how it used to be. Trash took the bus.

The only true solution is for the airline industry to stop this shit, immediately, completely and forever.

I could not agree more with anything ever written on the subject, as one who was once bumped.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I had an airline for a client about 8 years ago, and their policies included a 30% overbooking process. I inquired why and of course they blame customers for cancelling - but jeepers 30% oversold? Insain.

Like many others, I used to fly all the damn time for work - I'm currently on a sabbatical and not flying - don't miss it one whit.

I do have a load of miles and even a ticket in the "bank", but flying anymore is worse than a bus - at least a bus you can jump off at any time.

I haven't flown UAL sine their BK in the early 2000s. I despise them, and miss the prior decades where I was 1K which actually meant something (a linen wrapped bottle of wine upon boarding, politeness, and a little elbow room).

I hope UAL fries in both courts (Public opinion and civil, perhaps criminal) for this behavior and others take notice - sort of like Trump's airstrike in Syria - a wake up call. Gotts love HD video and the Intarwebs ... Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Furthermore, almost no one just flies for shits and giggles. It is either business or vacation related, often involving other members of the family or company, and the need to connect to other flights. There is nothing casual or lighthearted about it.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

a bit of understatement that they had to "re-accommodate" customers

This story is burning up the internet

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Last week I was offered 2 round trip flights with Spirt Airlines if I would take the flight the next day as they overbooked. I paid $60 extra for a reserved seat in an exit row for more room. They couldn't tell me if the flight the next day would give me the same extra space. I turned down the offer. The next day, storms over Atlanta caused the same flight to be cancelled.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4018 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
And the carry on bag crap has gotten way out of hand. Enforce those rules why don't you. A-holes being allowed to bring a carry on they can barely cram into an overhead bin is ridiculous.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
If the passenger said no it's up to United to bribe someone else to give up their seat. They should have keep increasing the amount of vouchers or first class tickets until someone took it. Period. They created the problem because of greed, so it was up to them to fix it, but they'd rather throw someone off forcibly.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You do not fucking drag PAYING passengers off a plane when they've done NOTHING wrong!! Who the fuck can't comprehend this??? The guy is in his seat. Figure out a different way to get your employees to their destination.

Yeah, when he wakes up from being tased, you can show him the fine print on his ticket. My God!

I hope the heads of every commercial airline operating in this country pay heed to all of this. Get your shit together.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
If the passenger said no it's up to United to bribe someone else to give up their seat. They should have keep increasing the amount of vouchers or first class tickets until someone took it. Period. They created the problem because of greed, so it was up to them to fix it, but they'd rather throw someone off forcibly.

Exactly. This was my question from page 2 that none of the supporters of United ever answered:

Would the United Airlines board of directors be happier today if it had cost them $5000 in incentives to free up those seats or would they rather be dealing with this today?

Obvious screw up on United's part.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The police simply are not going to back down. Once the stupid fucking airline called them, this was fated to happen. Just incredible

Drunks, loudmouths, weirdos harrassing other passengers? Hell yeah, call the police and have the problem removed. Paying passengers, acting in good faith and minding their own business? Leave them THE FUCK alone.

posted Hide Post
Screw the incentives. I want cold hard cash in my hands. I trust the airlines about as much as our politicians.

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
In 2 months my wife and I are taking our 2 and 4 your old to visit friends in Alaska. I am nervous enough about sticking 2 toddlers in a flying Pringles can for 2 hours. I would be horrified if they witnessed this. Where was the pilot in all of this? Its my understanding he is the boss for a flight, was he calling the shots on the phone while trying to breeze through pre-flight?

As an aside, if United would have used The Karmanator to give me a P226 Legion, I would have deplaned.

Posts: 2529 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Screw the incentives. I want cold hard cash in my hands. I trust the airlines about as much as our politicians.

I bet the board of directors would love to go back and offer $10K in cash each for 4 people to get off that flight than to have to deal with this today. Probably 10 times that.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe a better way would be to deplane everyone, a mechanical problem or some sort, then reboard only the desired ones.

Of course, few things would be much worse than what actually is reported. Setting the plane on fire, maybe.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the airline industry so I have no axe to grind for or against them.

I don't know the actual or historical percentage but if 5% of customers don't show for a flight, isn't this why standby exists and we don't bitch about that practice, so it's OK for them to fill the seats to capacity.

The fact that he was a doctor moves me absolutely not a fucking inch, just like my bowels after eating my mother-in-laws meatloaf. Everyone has a story or a compelling reason to stay on that flight otherwise, no shit, they wouln't be in the plane. Me wanting to go home to visit family, going to a funeral, leave from school or anything else is 100% more important to me than the reason that you're on your trip. Not saying it's all about me but everyone has their own personal reason for going somewhere. Since the airline couldn't get anyone to budge at $400, they bumped it to $800 and still no takers. That leaves the only conclusion to me is that it wasn't a money issue but people wanted to go where they were headed.

So UA fucked up by letting people board first and then deciding their people needed to fly too. That's fucked up since that problem should've been handled pre-boarding. Bad press and shitty customer relations for UA but now they need to remove people, if it's random then someone will draw the short straw. How else do they unfuck the problem, at that moment?

They put their people on another flight, that's how.

I'm OK with overboarding since we know some people don't show up. What's not good is letting them getting in their seats and then telling them someone has to leave.

Posts: 4089 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

I bet the board of directors would love to go back and offer $10K in cash each for 4 people to get off that flight than to have to deal with this today. Probably 10 times that.

Well, their stock price is up almost 1% so maybe not. But I have a choice when flying. UAL won't be one of them.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
United Airlines training Video

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12352 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo. Very short sighted to act the way the airline did.

Fuck UAL, I'll be scratching them off the list when looking for an airline.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4528 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Report This Post