SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Overbooking is a disgusting practice, whether it be a Dr.'s office or an airline.

+ 1 million.

Q

Posts: 26806 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Now just a damn minute. That's not the same thing. If the doctor's office is overbooked, cops don't come and hammer your ass, mmkay? Roll Eyes I guarantee you, guys- if you try to defend in this thread the practice of airlines overbooking, or rationalize it by saying others do it as well, you will regret it. I assure you that you will regret it.

This is indefensible. I don't give a rat's ass what it says in the fine print of the ticket. No one reads that shit and you know it and that's not a defense for this SELF-SERVING practice in the first place.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108140 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Overbooking is a disgusting practice, whether it be a Dr.'s office or an airline.

BAM!!! Big Grin

Next time Im sitting at 1030 in the waiting room for my 0930 appointment, Im just gonna walk into the exam room and strip to my skivvies.....and demand service!

I Agree that overselling a known quantity (airline seats) is a disgusting practice.

The Dr thing.. I'm not a doctor, and I get irritated as all get out when I'm still waiting past my appointment time.

However, I'm willing to let that slide a LITTLE bit since I have no idea if they had an emergency, or a previous patient required more time than anticipated due to some difficult problem. I like to think that if I was that patient and required extra time, the doc would give it to me as well.

I've gotten into my doctor on time roughly as many times as not, so I'm ok with it.

As for what happened on this flight: I get the whole have to get flight crews to the next airport. I understand logistics.

However, what they did to this guy was complete bullshit. IANAL so I don't know if he has a case. Unfortunately, I suspect it may be as entropy posted about it being a crime, and I feel bad for the guy.

As for United, I hope they rot in hell for what they did, and that they take it in the shorts with negative PR over this incident.

If the guy does have a case, I hope he gets a LOT of money because of it. A LOT.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
They entered into a contract when they sold him the ticket, and now they are trying to re-neg. If they wanted room from the crew, perhaps they should not sell all of the seats.

This bullshit of overselling flights needs to stop. There's a simple solution to this problem.
I'm not going to defend overselling flights. That's the root cause of this problem. I will point out, though, that the contract that you and the airline enter into when you purchase a ticket also contains clauses that include you getting bumped. The contract does not guarantee you a seat. Buyer beware.

United's handling of the situation was pretty crappy.

So, if I sell you a pristine Ferrari with a clause that says "I can take it from you whenever I feel like" you are okay with that? Shitting on a paying customer is never going to work well for major corporations with millions and millions of dollars. I would expect to be held to a higher standard, especially if I am a publicly traded company with a lot of assets.

We as consumers need to push back when we are getting shit on. You know, a man can only take so much before he just says fuck it! As such, why should an airline be allowed to sell 250 tickets when there are only 200 seats? They are gambling with our time, our money, and maybe even our livelihood with their stupid little fuck fuck games, in hopes that 50 people don't show up, all while pocketing the profits.

Now, in regards to the getting kicked off a plane bullshit for being the last one checked in.....So fucking what if I am the last one checked in. I still managed to put my ass in your seat before the doors on the aircraft closed. If you cannot predict that 4 MUST RIDE seats are needed in advance, then you have some shitty planning abilities. If it truly is an emergency, then you had damn sure better up your game in what you offer me! Make it worth my time to interrupt my schedule to cover your own ass. Make me want to give you my seat. Offer me 4 round trip First Class flights or a multi week resort stay, otherwise piss up a rope! It's not my fault you put your dick in a grinder by selling more seats than you actually had.

To the commercial pilots on this board: I appreciate you for the skill you have and what your job entails but don't for a minute believe that standing up for asinine policies will buy you any good will from people like the guy in this video who was obviously fucked over.

Posts: 2843 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Today, United will get a call from me. They're not going to like it.

And United will have run out of rat's asses to give.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Just to give you an idea of what happens when a medical provider like this doctor isn't able to make it to work I will tell you about my group. We manage 11 emergency depts in my area. At any given time we have 1 on call doc and 1 on call APP (PA or NP.) so if call Is already activated and a second provider calls out then that sites will be short. Some sites are single provider some are 2 providers others more. That means on average 30-40 patients will either not be seen at all or wait times at that site go up by 3-4 hours per patient. Sometimes not getting there isn't an option. I'm not saying that this is the same situation for this doc but in all of medicine an un-excused absence by a provider is a giant headache.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A whole lot of stupid going on at UA. As others have said, a few simple things would have made this never happen...

-Teach captain and flight team basic math.
-When seats available = seats for other UA crew - stop fucking boarding!!!
-Offer copious amounts of cash to people bitching to board said aircraft.
-Watch aircraft fly away with happy customers and crew.
-Deal with remaining shit storm.

Plane departs on time, crew get where needed. Even if you offered 2k per person it was probably less costly than all the bullshit caused.

Idiots.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Meaning what?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reminding me how simple and easy this business is.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope that the good doctor doesn't have to work another day in his life.

This is inexcusable and is explained by one thing and one thing only - Unchecked greed, which is never a good thing.

I remember the days when it was not unusual to have many empty seats on board, and I looked forward to being able to stretch out a little or move to a seat where I could. I cannot remember the last time, it's been several decades, since I saw an empty seat on a flight either domestically or international.

Overbooking is a process that simply must end. I am not suggesting making it illegal, but if enough people are pissed off enough about it, they will force the industry to discontinue the practice by simply not buying any tickets...anywhere, and/or suing them into bankruptcy for shit like this.

Posts: 20222 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Isn't it like a 4 hour car ride from Chicago to St. Louis? Put your crew on a bus. They can nap on the way.

After this incident United is going to ban camera phones on planes.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
In the 1960s, their motto was, "Come fly the friendly skies with United."

I guess they ain't so friendly no mo.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10737 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I get the whole have to get flight crews to the next airport. I understand logistics.

Prior planning prevents piss-poor performance.

If nothing else, they could have saved themselves millions of dollars by sending their crew over to the Enterprise folks and having them drive the four hours down to Louisville. I've made that trip several times and it's a nice a drive.

Posts: 20222 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
passengers aren't people to the airline industry

we're simply cargo

a breathing person is a huge inconvenience - they'd rather be dealing with inert boxes of cargo that have no demands

if you want a comfortable travel experience, drive yourself

the airlines are at fault, they should be mindful that ultimately while the pilot is in charge, the people will determine if that airline has a shot at being profitable

they are NOT too big to fail - we could use another failed airline to disappear - and United would be the first one on my list

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53397 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
If you want overbooking to end, then the idea of flying from JFK-LAX for $179 bucks must end as well.

There is a reason ALL of this crap has evolved. To blame it entirely on the carriers is folly.

Look...Im not an airline fan...TRUST ME ON THAT.

But, after watching the flying public for most of my adult life, I can honestly say Im not a passenger fan either.

As a note, I work for the domestic airline rated #1 in customer service for so many years now I have lost track.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
The simple solution would have been to keep offering a bigger reward; cash, free tix, and/or upgrades. Someone will always bite.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Meaning what?

Very simply, sir, that United will not give a rat's ass that you called to voice your opinion, complain, etc. Two words...

BOTTOM
LINE

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
To blame it entirely on the carriers is folly.
HORSE SHIT

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
the story is up on Drudge. Will get a lot of attention

http://www.courier-journal.com...ouisville/100274374/

Bridges, a Louisville resident, gave her account of the flight Sunday night.

Passengers were told at the gate that the flight was overbooked and United, offering $400 and a hotel stay, was looking for one volunteer to take another flight to Louisville at 3 p.m. Monday. Passengers were allowed to board the flight, Bridges said, and once the flight was filled those on the plane were told that four people needed to give up their seats to stand-by United employees that needed to be in Louisville on Monday for a flight.

Passengers were told that the flight would not take off until the United crew had seats, Bridges said, and the offer was increased to $800, but no one volunteered.

Then, she said, a manager came aboard the plane and said a computer would select four people to be taken off the flight . One couple was selected first and left the airplane, she said, before the man in the video was confronted.

Bridges said the man became "very upset" and said that he was a doctor who needed to see patients at a hospital in the morning. The manager told him that security would be called if he did not leave willingly, Bridges said, and the man said he was calling his lawyer. One security official came and spoke with him, and then another security officer came when he still refused. Then, she said, a third security official came on the plane and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane.

The man was able to get back on the plane after initially being taken off – his face was bloody and he seemed disoriented, Bridges said, and he ran to the back of the plane. Passengers asked to get off the plane as a medical crew came on to deal with the passenger, she said, and passengers were then told to go back to the gate so that officials could "tidy up" the plane before taking off.

The flight was delayed around two hours before it could fly to Louisville, and it arrived in Kentucky later Sunday night. No update was given to the passengers about the condition of the man forcibly removed, Bridges said.

Chicago to Louisville 300 miles 4.5 hour drive

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
To blame it entirely on the carriers is folly.
HORSE SHIT

Well Boss, then I guess we have a disagreement of opinion then. I will respect your Board and be silent on this.