SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
WRONG Protein...

Minimum 10 hours of rest from the end of duty to the start of the next duty period with the stipulation that the crew has the opportunity for 8 hours of SLEEP.

It's irrelevant what is said from this point forward, as most are ready to play jury, judge, and executioner on this one. Have to run...Gotta don my brass knuckles for the next flight, as the passengers are boarding. LUCKILY no one has crossed us today, so we haven't had a beat down yet, but we have 2 more legs. I need my safe space with crayons and bubbles.

Ok. Understood. My plan still seems to be valid given my parameters. They could have driven. They would have had time to rest and sleep. 14 hours. Who monitors their sleep?

It's cool. I'm not interested in arguing. It's clear they fucked up.

My opinion can certainly be changes as far as the crew travel issue...just not the dragging off of an old man.

Your plan has zero merits, because you have not taken into account the time the crew was already on duty. The crew had just walked off a flight they had just worked and were told they needed to be in IIU because that crew was unavailable for whatever reason. Time off is only 1 clock we have to watch. We also have a fed.gov mandated time we can be on duty. And on duty means doing ANYTIHNG for the company. We are required to be on duty an hour before the flight to account for preflight and such, if you fly a 2 hour leg then sit for an hour and fly another 3 hour leg, plus post flight time you are already at 8 hours and have not really done much. There is NO way to accept a 4 hour drive from ORD to IIU and be legal. And I mean legal, the LAW states very clearly that no company may assign and no crewmember may accept an assignment that exceeds duty time limitations, it's a law. And very highly monitored. So number one, they could not drive and still be within legal ON duty limits and still get the amount of rest they would legally have to get.
2, even if they could accept the drive and over duty time assignment, once they bust duty time, they MUST be legally assigned "penalty rest". The FAA feels that if you are flying and a storm cause you to go over duty time, that is beyond anyones control so no biggie, HOWEVER, the crew MUST be assigned additional rest to compensate based on how far over their duty time they were exceeded.

So even if they could drive, which they are legally bound to reject, they would be over duty time and have to be assigned extra rest and would therefore miss their next assignment.

This thread is really disappointing in that the people who know the voluminous regulations and rules that must be applied are being systemically shouted down by people with opinions and some back seat travel time. There are a million nuances that we are trying to get across, but no one wants to hear it.

Good info. Thank you. I understand now why driving would have been a no go.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Report This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
This just showed up on the net.

This appears to be a blog run by a woman who's married to a commercial pilot. The site archive goes back about six months, so the blog is fairly new.

I'm not going to judge or comment on her perspective, other than to say it's another opinion out there for consideration.

https://thepilotwifelife.wordp...e-about-flight-3411/

Posted in this thread a couple days ago.

Posts: 3414 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this account was referenced earlier in the thread. I give it little credence.

Posts: 17362 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, I just saw your posts and deleted my OP. I scrolled back four or five pages to make sure the story hadn't been posted, and I obviously didn't go back far enough. Apologies to everyone.

Posts: 4523 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
That blog post by the pilot wife is pure shit.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11005 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53380 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I have read this entire thread and am curious how so much of the discourse revolves around the flight crew. Either the one being sent to another airport, or the one actually flying the aircraft in this MCF.

I honestly don't think it would have in this thread, were it not for the pilots that chimed in with the "I am GOD!!! on my plane" attitudes, which we've seen before. That led to the implication the Godly powers wielded by them and their peers were somehow at the root of this.

That hasn't been reported in the news, and there's little reason to believe the pilots deemed the guy a threat for expecting his seat he paid for and was sitting in and refusing to give it up. Heck, I suspect pilots, rather than some dingbat combo pack of gate agents and flight attendants, would have taken a more measured response, or perhaps even understood the legit options to consider. Mind you, not half of our pilots here, but generally I assume as a group they are smarter and more thorough than the average bear.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12488 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
quote:
quote:
WRONG Protein...

Minimum 10 hours of rest from the end of duty to the start of the next duty period with the stipulation that the crew has the opportunity for 8 hours of SLEEP.

It's irrelevant what is said from this point forward, as most are ready to play jury, judge, and executioner on this one. Have to run...Gotta don my brass knuckles for the next flight, as the passengers are boarding. LUCKILY no one has crossed us today, so we haven't had a beat down yet, but we have 2 more legs. I need my safe space with crayons and bubbles.

Ok. Understood. My plan still seems to be valid given my parameters. They could have driven. They would have had time to rest and sleep. 14 hours. Who monitors their sleep?

It's cool. I'm not interested in arguing. It's clear they fucked up.

My opinion can certainly be changes as far as the crew travel issue...just not the dragging off of an old man.

Your plan has zero merits, because you have not taken into account the time the crew was already on duty. The crew had just walked off a flight they had just worked and were told they needed to be in IIU because that crew was unavailable for whatever reason. Time off is only 1 clock we have to watch. We also have a fed.gov mandated time we can be on duty. And on duty means doing ANYTIHNG for the company. We are required to be on duty an hour before the flight to account for preflight and such, if you fly a 2 hour leg then sit for an hour and fly another 3 hour leg, plus post flight time you are already at 8 hours and have not really done much. There is NO way to accept a 4 hour drive from ORD to IIU and be legal. And I mean legal, the LAW states very clearly that no company may assign and no crewmember may accept an assignment that exceeds duty time limitations, it's a law. And very highly monitored. So number one, they could not drive and still be within legal ON duty limits and still get the amount of rest they would legally have to get.
2, even if they could accept the drive and over duty time assignment, once they bust duty time, they MUST be legally assigned "penalty rest". The FAA feels that if you are flying and a storm cause you to go over duty time, that is beyond anyones control so no biggie, HOWEVER, the crew MUST be assigned additional rest to compensate based on how far over their duty time they were exceeded.

So even if they could drive, which they are legally bound to reject, they would be over duty time and have to be assigned extra rest and would therefore miss their next assignment.

This thread is really disappointing in that the people who know the voluminous regulations and rules that must be applied are being systemically shouted down by people with opinions and some back seat travel time. There are a million nuances that we are trying to get across, but no one wants to hear it.

Good info. Thank you. I understand now why driving would have been a no go.

It actually really isn't. It is a whole lot of excuse making, that they don't think the unwashed masses will see through. It is the latest strike at desperation to attempt to explain away the unexplainable.

In many other industries, such as commercial river operations, and train crews, they travel by van to the swap off point. The fresh crew gets out of the van, and takes off in the train. The old crew gets in the van and drives usually several hours back to the hub. They don't whine and cry "OMG crew rest". You know why? They have a plan B. Their plan B doesn't involve assaulting people just because they can. THEMSTHERULES.

Other industries often and commonly travel by roadway to get to their swap out points. I live at a train hub, and people drive from longer to Louisville to Chicago to catch a train. I guess the difference is those guys are professionals. It just seems the airline industry has been a bully culture that hasn't had to worry about things like customers. They are able to bully people and hide behind the rules. I really think the hostility you see in this thread from airline personnel is fear. Fear that they are going to lose their power to be able to bully. The amount of spin by the employees here is evident. Much like the spin in the election, it is spin hard. And then spin some more when you think there has been enough. I.E.- there isn't one shred of evidence that "crew rest" would have affected these four employees. Not one iota. But facts aren't convenient for spin. I think the one pilot who actually posted that he was too good to drive, was probably being honest from the perspective of airline employees. "Crew Rest" is just the latest spin, and nothing more.

Sad.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37132 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I SERIOUSLY just need to stop clicking on this thread. Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, why don't you? Nobody needs you to nudge the door open and then exclaim that you still aren't coming out to play! So childish.

Anyways, on to other news...Specifically for those that said nothing will come of this. Delta is now going to offer up to $9,950 for compensation. Story here

So, if nothing else, airlines are at least recognizing the problem with how little they value customers and their time. A small step in the right direction and I am sure we will see more to come.

Posts: 2843 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Anyways, on to other news...Specifically for those that said nothing will come of this. Delta is now going to offer up to $9,950 for compensation. Story here

But wait. I thought $1350 was the max offer legally allowed by Federal Regs. Oh, well. I guess that fake limit was just another excuse to try and excuse the inexcusable.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17494 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

So, why don't you? Nobody needs you to nudge the door open and then exclaim that you still aren't coming out to play! So childish.

So, if nothing else, airlines are at least recognizing the problem with how little they value customers and their time. A small step in the right direction and I am sure we will see more to come.

But but, they don't give a rat's asses...

Q

Posts: 26767 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I think it was 2004 or 5 my wife and I took a day trip to Miami on New Years Eve.
Arrived at 6:30 am, was to depart about 9:30 that night on Delta.

At the gate the flight to ATL was overbooked and they asked for volunteers for the next flight the next morning.
No one took it, and I eased up to the gate counter and asked what they were offering.
First they said vouchers, I told them that that is basically useless.
So they offered $800. That cane to $1600 fro us to wait.
We said we'll take it. But they mail you a check.
Fine, anyways, a boarding agent asked if we'd like to hitch up on a ferry flight to ATL at around 3am.
So we found the gate and there it was a 757. We watched the fireworks from the gate and eventually our crew, led by who could pass for Walter Mattheau showed up.
There were 4 of us un the cabin, my wife and I, a pilot and a woman who went to the back of the plane.
There was no inflight service.
We got to sit in first class and the pilot seated across from us chatted the whole ride home.
AND we got the $1600! Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39793 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Previously posted:
one point I would like to see resolved here is the statement (often in this thread) that the airlines are limited to $1350 in compensation for over booking.

I do not think that is true.
The airlines cannot be REQUIRED to pay more than $1350. But I do not know of any law that says the airlines cannot voluntarily pay as much as they want to

thanks for the link to the Delta story about their voluntary increase.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/...rbooked-flights.html

Delta Air Lines is moving to make it easier to find customers willing to give up their seats. In an internal memo obtained Friday by The Associated Press, Delta said gate agents can offer up to $2,000, up from a previous maximum of $800, and supervisors can offer up to $9,950, up from $1,350.

The federal regulations never stopped the airlines from offering as much as they wanted to (above the required amount). The regulations limited the customers to $1350 max in required compensation.

Here are the US Dept of Transportation rules:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

The required compensation varies depending on several factors. But for the case where:

if you are bumped involuntarily and the airline substitutes transportation that gets you to your destination more than 2 hours later, the required compensation is

400% of your one-way fare,
with $1350 maximum

Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, I was flying from Detroit to Phoenix. I do not remember what airline I was flying. At a layover in Denver, we had already reboarded when they came on announcing the flight had been overbooked and asked if anyone would give up their seats for $400 IIRC, a flight the next day, and a hotel for the night. I jumped at it. It was a pretty sweet deal I thought. On the van ride to the hotel, I got to talking with one of the other passengers, who had also taken the deal. He gave me a Playboy and a Penthouse magazine, so I would have something to read that night at the hotel.

Unfortunately, it caused some consternation with the family members who were picking me up in Phoenix. They had driven into Phoenix for the day, so I was unable to reach them and tell them about the new plans. This was in the days before cell phones. The airline would give them no information. Trying to find me, they reached out to other family around the country, even to Europe where my parents were. No one knew what had happened or where I was. The whole thing caused a bit of a ruckus in the family. I still get ribbed about it.

Looking back, I should have just stayed in my seat on the plane.

But $400 was a bloody fortune.

I was 14 years old.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17494 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ A 14 y/o with Playboy and Penthouse, in a hotel. Must have been heaven. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26767 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^^ A 14 y/o with Playboy and Penthouse, in a hotel. Must have been heaven. Big Grin

Magazines were cool, but room service. Man, I had $400 and room service.

Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Once upon a time, I was flying from Detroit to Phoenix. I do not remember what airline I was flying. At a layover in Denver, we had already reboarded when they came on announcing the flight had been overbooked and asked if anyone would give up their seats for $400 IIRC, a flight the next day, and a hotel for the night. I jumped at it. It was a pretty sweet deal I thought. On the van ride to the hotel, I got to talking with one of the other passengers, who had also taken the deal. He gave me a Playboy and a Penthouse magazine, so I would have something to read that night at the hotel.

Unfortunately, it caused some consternation with the family members who were picking me up in Phoenix. They had driven into Phoenix for the day, so I was unable to reach them and tell them about the new plans. This was in the days before cell phones. The airline would give them no information. Trying to find me, they reached out to other family around the country, even to Europe where my parents were. No one knew what had happened or where I was. The whole thing caused a bit of a ruckus in the family. I still get ribbed about it.

Looking back, I should have just stayed in my seat on the plane.

But $400 was a bloody fortune.

I was 14 years old.

quote:

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2049 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Report This Post