SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:

This is just too much. To think a pilot doesn't know the effects of bumping. We get bumped from flights with regularity, like every week. I have friend who check flight loads 2 days before they have to go work because they know they will get bumped if a flight looks to full. I have been bumped from 5 flights in one day, from 12-midnight where I finally called it a day and went to the hotel and came back at 6 am to try again. Getting bumped and missing important family events is a normal part of our lives, we deal with it and move on. And usually it's after we've boarded that a last minute passenger needs a seat and off we go. My wife has been bumped after boarding, my friends and their kids have been bumped after boardig everyone I know has been deplaned after boarding at one time or another, so don't preach to us about not knowing what it feels like. Just last week my friend tried to get home to Dallas from Orlando. He made it to atl and then everything was sold out, after several bumpings he went to Houston, and then since everything there was sold out as well, he rented a one way car to get his kids home for school the next day. So for you to say we have no idea, is really just, for lack of a better word ignorant.

Just out of curiosity, do you PAY for these flights from which you are bumped, or are they 'freebie' flights since you are an employee of the airline?

I have to admit that my give-a-crap meter isn't pegged very high for somebody getting bumped off a free flight. . .

Your give-a-crap meter won't have to work very hard. Jeffxjet is talking about non-rev flights (a Delta term). Airline employees do it all the time and try to plan their trips according to flight bookings. They wouldn't get bumped if they bought a ticket. Go ahead jeffxjet, give us the full story on all your "bumpings".

Posts: 7592 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
My give a crap meter is done too. You guys are all obviously experts and know everything about the aviation industry so I'm going to stop wasting my breath trying to give you inside knowledge. It's not going to change any minds so I'm done.

Let jljones give you the low down. Apparently living near a train depot is all it takes.

Posts: 2131 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you PAY for these flights from which you are bumped, or are they 'freebie' flights since you are an employee of the airline?

I guess this question will just have to go unanswered.

Don't need to wonder why.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11006 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My give a crap meter is done too. You guys are all obviously experts and know everything about the aviation industry so I'm going to stop wasting my breath trying to give you inside knowledge. It's not going to change any minds so I'm done.

So I guess you're not going to tell us about your gut wrenching "bumpings"? I'll bet they would bring us all to tears. I was looking forward to it, being a stupid ignorant wretch. You got bumped doing non-rev flights didn't you? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Posts: 7592 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
So overbooking makes the airline more money, so use some of that money to buy people out of their seats. I'm older and wiser, so I'm not jumping ship for $400 cash, but I'm still jumping if offered $4000. Someone will want cash money more than a seat. Make it worth their while.

Beating the shit out of your customers because you don't want to pay them more is not acceptable. I don't care how much you need to get to your next gig.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17495 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Any chance of getting the wanta-be brown shirts criminally prosecuted for assault? I'm sure they can claim they were just defending themselves from this 69 year old Kung Fu master.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17495 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Any chance of getting the wanta-be brown shirts criminally prosecuted for assault? I'm sure they can claim they were just defending themselves from this 69 year old Kung Fu master.

I heard talk of this possibility on the local Chicago news today. For what that's worth. It's a possibility since the brown-shirts were wearing jackets that said "Police" when in fact they are not Police, but private security.

I think somebody mentioned this earlier in the thread, as well, and it's nice to see that there may be pressure on local prosecutors to go after the guys.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9226 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I've learned a lot lurking this thread. Apparently no matter how obvious a situation appears, 2% of "experts" will stick to their preconvieved opinions while assuming the majority opinion is invalid. I appreciate experience, but I guess sometimes it prevents folks from considering an alternative. Reading this makes me want to tread very carefully in subjects where I consider myself an expert.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
More drivel from the pilot union
quote:
We have successfully flown through more turbulent times, and we will weather this storm as well.

Oh, so somehow it's about them. Somehow they are the victims. Jerks.

Or they have shareholders and employees to reassure.

Posts: 5176 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys are all obviously experts and know everything about the aviation industry so I'm going to stop wasting my breath trying to give you inside knowledge.

It doesn't take an expert to know how to treat people. Your inside knowledge is worthless when it comes down to basic things that are typically taught to you as as kid. Treat people like you want to be treated.

For years the aviation industry as a whole has pretty much treated it's customers as nothing more than cattle. There are some good people you encounter but upper and middle management only cares about the bottom line and not about the customer's well being. It's always about cramming more seats in the plane, cutting services provided, etc.....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4545 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let jljones give you the low down. Apparently living near a train depot is all it takes.

Big Grin

Desperation stinks so bad when you sell something people aren't buying.

And we were so enjoying being talked down to. Forever what will we do?? Somehow I think your ego and the same lack of self control of other pilots in this thread won't disappoint! this is a bit troubling though. I'm hoping other airline employees have more self control than what has been demonstrated here

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One question that I have not seen anyone try to answer: As PIC, are you or are you not in control over what happens on your aircraft? Specifically, when the police are beating someone on your airplane, do you or do you not own that situation?

Not trying to start anything. I am honestly curious.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
One question that I have not seen anyone try to answer: As PIC, are you or are you not in control over what happens on your aircraft? Specifically, when the police are beating someone on your airplane, do you or do you not own that situation?

Not trying to start anything. I am honestly curious.
In the air, or even having left the gate and taxiing, PIC is PIC, no question.

This situation, I don't know. Who is the Big Kahuna when the airplane is still at the gate and the boarding process is not complete?

I have not used an airline for many years, but I remember some flights where passenger boarding started and the cockpit crew was not on board yet, so clearly there was no PIC on board at that time. Who bears ultimate responsibility in that situation? I don't know.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30922 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Res ipsa loquitur. That's lawyer talk....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Desperation stinks so bad when you sell something people aren't buying. ...

The problem, as I see it, is, in the same breath as trying to explain why this fiasco happened, they are trying to justify or excuse it. There IS no justificaton or excuse. Another solution needs to be found, period. If it means messing up someone else's flight or a number of others down the line, or even an increase in the price of tickets in the future, that's what needs to happen.

Posts: 28134 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Who called in the Pinkertons? Does ANYBODY know?

And if he isn't a real cop, can he AND his employer be successfully sued along with the airline?

Get them ALL, every last one involved, right down to the gate attendant that pointed them the way to go and get him.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34220 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
All of you guys saying they aren't the police need to do a quick google search on who they are.

I'd also suggest not acting up any any airport, park, or other place that uses a police force separate from the municipal police force in that area.

They are police. Real police, with the real authority to deal with miscreants.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15771 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
All of you guys saying they aren't the police need to do a quick google search on who they are.

I'd also suggest not acting up any any airport, park, or other place that uses a police force separate from the municipal police force in that area.

They are police. Real police, with the real authority to deal with miscreants.
OK, I did a google search, as you suggested, and this popped right up:
quote:
Aviation Department spokeswoman Karen Pride said in the statement: "While they do have limited authority to make an arrest, Sunday's incident was not within standard operating procedures nor will we tolerate that kind of action."
"Limited authority" seems to imply that they are not "real" police, as does the fact that they are lobbying to be armed. After this show of intolerable behavior I hope they will not be armed with anything more serious than a water pistol.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30922 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Limited authority" seems to imply that they are not "real" police

So next time you're in Chicago, tell any of them you don't have to do what they say because they aren't "real police". Come back and tell us how that works out for you. Wink

I have friends locally who are "park rangers", and are also often accused of not being "real police".

Did you read the Chicago Tribune link I provided? Been to their facebook page to look at their photos?

They're real police. They may have a different duty, or may be subject to specific regulations of their department, but that doesn't mean they're not "real". Our airport also has it's own police force. Ours are armed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15771 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

They're real police. They may have a different duty, or may be subject to specific regulations of their department, but that doesn't mean they're not "real". Our airport also has it's own police force. Ours are armed.

...And you'd be surprised what they make in a month...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post