SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
Trains Not Taken Are Gone.
posted Hide Post
I just have to wonder if the "randomly selected"person had been wearing a burka, a pregnant woman, a transgenderd person, a person in a wheelchair or was a celebrity of some kind would the situation been handled the same way?

----------------------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Know which hill you're willing to die on.

Posts: 92 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: October 26, 2005Report This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Hawaii or Alaska may make me change my mind, since both of those are bucket list places. BUT the likelihood of me going to either is about the same as monkeys flying out of my butt.
IMO, every American should go to the Pearl Harbor Historic Sites.

Statistically, you're more likely to be beaten walking to your mailbox than beaten while seated in your airplane seat.

Current situation aside, I have no interest in flying commercial to anywhere. I last flew round trip to New York and back about twelve years ago, and that was on one of the small regional jets. I didn't enjoy that experience, and I can't imagine the times have changed for the better regarding the larger cattle cars.

But I would love to visit Pearl Harbor, and if I got the chance I guess I would fly there. But given current finances and immediate future prospects of those changing drastically, I just don't see that happening.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by traderdell:
I just have to wonder if the "randomly selected"person had been wearing a burka, a pregnant woman, a transgenderd person, a person in a wheelchair or was a celebrity of some kind would the situation been handled the same way?

I seriously think it speaks a lot about race relations in the country that they picked an Asian guy to forcefully eject. . .

While I agree they would never have forcefully ejected people from the above demographic, I can't see them doing this with a black person, either.

And they can talk about 'bouncing back' all they want. There are thousands of people today that won't fly United that, 4 days ago, would have. In a highly competitive market like this, they cannot afford to alienate customers. Just like Target found out the hard way, bad decisions have consequences.

And most people will protest quietly, without UAL ever knowing it or being able to track it. They will simply fly another carrier when given the choice.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21923 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I seriously think it speaks a lot about race relations in the country that they picked an Asian guy to forcefully eject. . .
Are you familiar with how these selections are made? You think a flight attendant walks through the cabin and then says "Let's boot Charlie Chan"?

Personally, I think he was booted because he's Puerto Rican.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109090 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The complaint has now filed motions…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Get out yer checkbook, Bovine Airlines.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a great question.

As it is, they picked an Asian doctor to drag from his seat and down the isle.

Brilliant image to portray to the world.
Great job, United!

You can bet they didn't know he was a doctor (not that it should make any difference).

Perhaps a lesson is in order for these United idiots.

You're in business because of the customer.
Ok? Are you following this? Are you keeping up?

Posts: 1796 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

While I agree they would never have forcefully ejected people from the above demographic, I can't see them doing this with a black person, either.

And they can talk about 'bouncing back' all they want. There are thousands of people today that won't fly United that, 4 days ago, would have. In a highly competitive market like this, they cannot afford to alienate customers. Just like Target found out the hard way, bad decisions have consequences.

And most people will protest quietly, without UAL ever knowing it or being able to track it. They will simply fly another carrier when given the choice.

The average flyer (not "frequent flyer) will continue to do as he's always done...Shop on Expedia or Travelocity or whatever and choose the airline offering the cheapest fare. If two airlines are offering the same price, and one of them is United, yes, people will choose the other. But ultimately, they always go with the cheapest ticket.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30927 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

But ultimately, they always go with the cheapest ticket.

Not all of them; not after this past Sunday.

Same thing happened to Target; people said "it won't make a difference." Now, they are down 6% in sales, after a predicted 3% gain (essentially resulting in a 6-9% loss).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21923 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The monkeys have taken over the bar area of the resort and have assaulted the bartenders.

Vodka was probably a bad choice

Just don't give'em those fruity drinks with the little umbrellas!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32033 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

His seat was selected randomly.

It's possible that when at UA employee say him in the seat, they might have said "yeah, old Asian dude: he won't put up a fight."

But the initial selection was random.

It's possible that if they picked someone who was visually less politically correct to eject, they might have gone back and rolled the dice again, but we'll never know now.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not all of them; not after this past Sunday.

Same thing happened to Target; people said "it won't make a difference." Now, they are down 6% in sales, after a predicted 3% gain (essentially resulting in a 6-9% loss).

Never ceases to amaze me how often people say "it won't make a difference." "Boycots don't work." When the simple fact is yes, yes they do. If in no other way, one doesn't have to financially support asshatery.

"Watch it. Those goddamn monkeys bite...."

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
David Spade and Helen Hunt could have handled the situation without violence.

Posts: 16187 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Tubes, I'm telling you. Tubes are the answer.

Posts: 3008 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:....Just watch. You'll see. Longterm damage.

Just ask Target about how alienating their customers works out longterm....

I made a light hearted reference to United airlines customer relations this morning in my college business class. Everyone laughed as everyone had heard of the matter. This self-inflicted wound will leave a scar that will not heal quickly.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Remember when everything in Airplane (the movie) was a spoof, and we laughed our asses off.

And then it wasn't, and we didn't?

Yeah.

It bites.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44480 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Chris Rock needs to add a new section to his "How Not To Get Your Ass Beat By The Police Video."

ETA: The part Chris Rock should add is: "Don't Fly United"

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5007 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Tubes, I'm telling you. Tubes are the answer.
I tried to tell them. They won't even return my phone calls. I got a letter from them, though.

Something about a 'restraining order'