SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All you guys saying you will boycott United, two points, first you probably don't fly much so United won't care and two EVERY OTHER AIRLINE IN AMERICA has the same policy. Let me say that again. EVERY SINGLE ONE. You can argue that United should have kept bumping up the amount of comps but even that amount is legally capped by Federal regulation. True, they didn't get to that cap, but they weren't that far off.

Every airline in America, name your favorite, or in Para's case the one you hate least (I keed, I keed), and I can show you the stats of how many people they involuntarily bumped last year.

Some of you guys literally wrote that the airline should always leave open seats for the unlikely event that a situation develops where they need a crew somewhere else. It is tough to even justify this kind of thinking with an answer. Should they leave 2 seats always open? 4? 10?

As for driving the crew down to Louisville, that is a brilliant idea. Except that now when they get there they are either timed out or fatigued because they just friggin drove (I know they wouldn't be driving but the feds wouldn't recognize that distinction) from Chicago to Kentucky. There are a lot of ideas that may sound brilliant when you are typing them but they don't work. Hiring a plane? Not a lot of planes for random hiring at O'Hare airport. Airports and taxi stands aren't similar in many ways, this being one of them.

Once again I will ask. Are you pissed at United who didn't touch the guy or LE who busted his lip? I only ask because it seems LE is getting a free ride and United is getting pummeled. Pun. If you are mad at United why is LE getting a free ride?

Just as an aside and I know you guys won't believe this but your favorite airlines bump people against their will. Not very often but it happens. United isn't alone in this. The difference in this case is that this guy hunkered down and said "nope". If this guy makes any money for his actions you can guarantee he won't be the last person to say "nope" hoping for a payday.

You guys probably don't care but I and every other aviator on this board could come up with tons of reasons besides overbooking which didn't happen here btw, for why someone or many someones might have to be removed even though they bought a ticket. I give you a very simple one, one that every pilot has had. At push time you get a mechanical, one of your air conditioning packs isn't working. They can't fix it there but you can safely fly it. It forces you to fly lower though, you burn more gas, you are full, you remove cargo, still too heavy, you remove standby passengers, too heavy, you may get to the point where, wait for it.... You have to remove a paying customer. OR no body goes anywhere. Million scenarios like this. Or the United one where if the crew doesn't get there in a timely fashion, hundreds of people will be stranded. There isn't some magical bank of flight crews that are in their duty day and just happen to be in the right spot. That doesn't just happen miraculously.

I know, United sucks. Fuck them and their employees. It is in the contract you sign. Not because an airline wants to fuck you, it is in there because in an operation as complex as 5000 flight a day airlines shit comes up and they need the ability to come up with work arounds. Weather, maintenance, crew issues, airport issues, airspace, the Prez needs a haircut, and yes even overbooking. They put that in there because without the legal right to put you on the next available flight (with generous compensation btw) everyone would be sitting there staring at each other wondering why aren't we going anywhere.

I know I will soon regret posting again in this thread but there is a lot of incorrect or just plane bad information out there in the MSM and in this thread.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, I'm not going to boycott United, because I no longer fly commercially.

As to the police, they were performing the task for which the airline contacted them and, as I said earlier in this thread, when the police show up, they're not going to back down or go away.
UAL set all of this in motion, both in their decision to bump passengers in order to board UAL personnel and for their subsequent handling of the matter.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108105 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
... and two EVERY OTHER AIRLINE IN AMERICA has the same policy. Let me say that again. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...If your business has a policy that kicks people off a flight that they paid for, did nothing wrong, and was not an act of God...then maybe it's a shitty policy.

But hey...they've gotten away with it for quite a while now. However, now it has brought attention to the matter. Maybe enough people will get pissed off enough that now the Feds will get involved. They may soon be reaping what they've sown. Or, maybe not. Time will tell.

Posts: 5780 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
All you guys saying you will boycott United, two points, first you probably don't fly much so United won't care and two EVERY OTHER AIRLINE IN AMERICA has the same policy. Let me say that again. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Which is one of the many reasons people HATE flying these days.

Customers annoy us! We drag you from airplane!
Go away, customers!

Posts: 1786 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
pedropcola, can you provide evidence that carriers other than United have forcibly removed passengers? I'm referring to passengers who were minding their own business, weren't intoxicated, etc.

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Brings back old memories...

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6022 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It may be the policy, but they never do it. Maybe they never have to, or have had to so far.

The easiest thing to have done would have been to have everyone deplane with their belongings back into the gate area, on the ruse of mechanical issues etc. Then, after a slight appropriate delay, reboard everyone except the selected ones, who would raise hell but not have to be dragged out screaming on Youtube.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
So, sitting on another United flight waiting to go across the country.

We had to switch planes because of a mechanical problem on the first plane. Problem now is this plane is smaller than the first. They needed 8 First Class costomers to move back to coach as FC is smaller. Few people accepted their $500 offer and a move to coach. Nothing like going from First Class to a coach middle seat.

Now sitting on the plane and the engine has its maintenance doors open. Let's see how long it takes to get this bird off the ground. Already 45 minutes late.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
pedropcola, can you provide evidence that carriers other than United have forcibly removed passengers?

There must have been many cases of paying, non-threatening customers who resisted being forcibly removed from their seats due to either overbooking or VIPs needing their seats. Why haven't we seen other videos of these people being dragged off the planes?

My guess is that with other airlines as well as other United gate crews probably found other ways to move their crews to destinations or simply pick someone else once they had encountered strong resistance or any other ways discussed in this thread. I am thinking that this particular United gate crew decided to go hardball here and played to the maximum extent that FAA rules had allowed them to do.

Maybe when airport police showed up, many resisters simply complied but this guy cannot be the first customer who resisted removal without even being a troublesome flyer.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Just read this one From a pilots wife

Posts: 13035 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Report This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:

i think its time to change the rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Retired military here: Space "A" flight on a C-130 in a web-slung jump seat with an MRE box lunch sounds pretty good compared to flying United, or any other commercial carrier, since you don't get groped by the TSA pervs either.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2723 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
All you guys saying you will boycott United, two points, first you probably don't fly much so United won't care and two EVERY OTHER AIRLINE IN AMERICA has the same policy. Let me say that again. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I'm telling you right now, this situation would've never happened on a Delta flight. Never. Would've. Happened.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, shes married to a pilot! Her opinion must be so relevant (she even mentioned the fine print!) Roll Eyes. Not bashing you for posting it though charlie12, I just hate people like that smug woman. Its like being in the military and having some NCOs wife go on a power trip and yell at you for something on base-like her position as his wife means jack-diddly shit to you.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3455 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Retired military here: Space "A" flight on a C-130 in a web-slung jump seat with an MRE box lunch sounds pretty good compared to flying United, or any other commercial carrier, since you don't get groped by the TSA pervs either.
I'm gonna ride with you, if that's alright.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Wow, shes married to a pilot! Her opinion must be so relevant (she even mentioned the fine print!) Roll Eyes. Not bashing you for posting it though charlie12, I just hate people like that smug woman. Its like being in the military and having some NCOs wife go on a power trip and yell at you for something on base-like her position as his wife means jack-diddly shit to you.

I checked the daily Chicago to Louisville flights and there are many flights thru out the day, with a good number of airlines. United could've book their crew or the people kicked off on another airline.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know, United sucks. Fuck them and their employees. It is in the contract you sign. Not because an airline wants to fuck you, it is in there because in an operation as complex as 5000 flight a day airlines shit comes up and they need the ability to come up with work arounds. Weather, maintenance, crew issues, airport issues, airspace, the Prez needs a haircut, and yes even overbooking. They put that in there because without the legal right to put you on the next available flight (with generous compensation btw) everyone would be sitting there staring at each other wondering why aren't we going anywhere.

I know I will soon regret posting again in this thread but there is a lot of incorrect or just plane bad information out there in the MSM and in this thread.

Do tell about this "generous compensation" Whenever I fly and they ask for volunteers I start at $800. Below that it's not worth the hassle. Also most times I've taken the bump and been told by the gate agent "oh we'll get you on the next flight" that's generally been a lie, and I end up on the last flight of the day in a middle seat between grandma farts a lot, and sweaty alcoholic. So "generous" is a relative term and the cap of $1350 is not in my book generous enough.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:

Other than that, is her account accurate?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Let's not let the cops off the hook on this one either. They beat the lips off a guy for what is essentially a civil contract dispute. That's not a proportional response to a non-resisting person in a civil context.

Everyone's relying on the fine print of the contract, but forgetting that when the fine print didn't go United's way, they called the cops, tagged the passenger as a disruptive, and used federal force to remove him. They didn't negotiate a better refund deal that someone on the flight felt like taking. There's an article out there about a family that got paid $11k, three nights in a hotel in NY, free meals and a full refund to not fly from New York to Ft. Lauderdale during the recent nasty weather. Delta took care of them. May be United could outsource their customer relations to Delta?

$400?
No.
$800?
No.
Ok, BAM! That's your face, and that's your face on armrest, bitch, now get off my plane.

I could use some pissed off federal agents to help me with some of my more contentious contract negotiations. There are a few counterparties I wouldn't mind seeing get beat.

Fucking idiots.

Idiot United employees and idiot cops. Sometimes you take a deep breath, and deal with things instead of moving directly to forceful compulsion.

Fucking idiots.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12821 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that typing for nothing. Well, perhaps we can take the Freudian point of view and say that all those words serve as a talking cure for her, so that means she may feel better after getting it out. I guess that counts for something.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023